cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPv4 is not working on Ignite CGM4140COM router

henlau
I've been here awhile

Found certain websites are not accessible recently, since a week ago. Did some troubleshooting and can narrow down the scenario. Whenever the computer wakes up after going sleep, the problem appears.

IPv6 websites/services (google, yahoo, etc) are all good. IPv4 sites/services (e.g. zoom) are not reachable.

ping ipv6 on www.google.com (2607:f8b0:400b:809::2004) gets through but ping'ing 8.8.8.8 (google dns) gets timeout.

When it happens, I couldn't ping the CGM4140COM router's LAN interface IPv4 address (e.g. 192.168.0.1) neither.

It is NOT the computer's problem because:

1. I have 4 computers at home (Windows10 and Mac both), they all having issue. But interestingly it happens less frequent on the Mac.

2. When I couldn't ping the IPv4 address of the router's LAN interface, I could ping other IPv4 devices on my home network (e.g. printers, storage and other computers). All other services within the home is fine. It is just the router didn't response and can't access the IPv4 Internet.

Rebooting the computer may fix that but not every time. And after rebooted the computer, sometimes need to wait for couple minutes for the IPv4 ping to work again, while the IPv6 ping or browse just work right away.

It is not consistent anyway.

I also did a factory reset of the router and re-do all the configuration from scratch but doesn't help.

Any idea?

***Added Labels***

3 REPLIES 3

Re: IPv4 is not working on Ignite CGM4140COM router

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hi, @henlau  and welcome to the Community!

It is possible that Protected Browsing could be causing problems for you.  Could you please go into the Ignite WiFi Hub/mobile app and check to see if Protected Browsing is enabled?  If it is, try disabling it to see if that fixes the problem.

henlau
I've been here awhile
Hi, I don't have Protected Browsing, unless it comes with the Ignite service and I don't know it. Tried logon to the "ignitewifi.rogers.com", but it gives me:
"Sorry, there is a bit more we need to do to get you up and running with Ignite WiFi. Call us at 1-833-791-HELP (4357), and we will get you squared away."
So seems I really don't have it.
BTW, all the parental controls on the router are disabled.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@henlau wrote:
Hi, I don't have Protected Browsing, unless it comes with the Ignite service and I don't know it. Tried logon to the "ignitewifi.rogers.com", but it gives me:
"Sorry, there is a bit more we need to do to get you up and running with Ignite WiFi. Call us at 1-833-791-HELP (4357), and we will get you squared away."
So seems I really don't have it.
BTW, all the parental controls on the router are disabled.

Thanks for checking that.  Parental Controls and Protected Browsing (and the Ignite WiFi Hub) are standard features that can be enabled on Ignite Internet.  The WiFi Hub feature, if activated through the mobile app or the web site, can enable parental controls on the XB6 that are separate from the status that is shown on the XB6's admin web UI, which is why I asked if they show as enabled in the WiFi Hub.

I don't know if Protected Browsing is enabled by default; I don't think so but I'll tag the @CommunityHelps  team to see if they confirm and chime in with any additional troubleshooting tips.

From your initial post, I also see that you changed the IP address range on your LAN from 10.0.0.0/24 to 192.168.0.0/24.  I don't think that this should be a problem but I also don't recall seeing any other posts from anyone else who is using that address space on an XB6.

I also have a few more things that I hope you can check:

First, log into your modem as admin and go to "Gateway > Connection > Rogers Network", and confirm that the modem/gateway itself has working IPv4 Internet connectivity.  That status page should show that the XB6 has successfully obtained an (IPv4) IP Address, Default Gateway, and Primary and Secondary DNS Servers.

As another test of your computers' IPv4 connectivity, try connecting to Cloudflare's DNS site at https://1.1.1.1/

One other thing that you can do is to perform a health check of your computers' IPv4 and IPv6 connectivity using one of the following test sites:

https://test-ipv6.com/

https://en.internet.nl/test-connection/

Best of luck with your troubleshooting!

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 in conversation