How to disable or turn off Band Steering?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

How to disable or turn off Band Steering?

By default, Band Steering is turned on.  How can one turn it off? I have some smart plugs that only work on the 2.4 ghz network. With Band steering turn on, the smart plugs are unable to connect to the 2.4ghz network. Also, the Rogers installer advised me to keep band steering turned on as turning it off could affect TV performance. Is this true?

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: How to disable or turn off Band Steering?

@SanjeevB in theory Band Steering should give you better overall performance by moving devices that are further away from the modem to the 2.4 Ghz band, which has a longer range and lower data rates, and moving devices to the 5 Ghz band when they are closer to the modem as the 5 Ghz band has wider bandwidths and therefore higher data rates.  Remember, the operative words here are "in theory".  

To disable the Band Steering, log into the modem and:

1.  navigate to Wireless 2.4G .... Advanced. 

2.  disable the Band Steering if its enabled. 

3.  save the changes.  

4.  navigate to the 5G .... Advanced tab.

5.  disable the Band Steering if its enabled. 

6.  save the changes.

7.  navigate to the 5G .... Basic Settings.

8.  change the SSID back to its previous setting

9.  save the changes. 

10.  Reboot the modem at ADMIN .... DEVICE RESET .... Reboot

You might have to manually reconnect your 5 Ghz connected devices if the previous 5 Ghz network wasn't designated as an Auto Connect network.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@SanjeevB in theory Band Steering should give you better overall performance by moving devices that are further away from the modem to the 2.4 Ghz band, which has a longer range and lower data rates, and moving devices to the 5 Ghz band when they are closer to the modem as the 5 Ghz band has wider bandwidths and therefore higher data rates.  Remember, the operative words here are "in theory".  

To disable the Band Steering, log into the modem and:

1.  navigate to Wireless 2.4G .... Advanced. 

2.  disable the Band Steering if its enabled. 

3.  save the changes.  

4.  navigate to the 5G .... Advanced tab.

5.  disable the Band Steering if its enabled. 

6.  save the changes.

7.  navigate to the 5G .... Basic Settings.

8.  change the SSID back to its previous setting

9.  save the changes. 

10.  Reboot the modem at ADMIN .... DEVICE RESET .... Reboot

You might have to manually reconnect your 5 Ghz connected devices if the previous 5 Ghz network wasn't designated as an Auto Connect network.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Help switching between 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz

Hi there, not exactly tech savvy however I am trying to connect my smart outlets and I keep getting a message saying it requires 2.4 ghz to connect so I'm presuming it keeps connecting with 5 ghz.

My question is how do I get it to just use the 2.4 to install my smart outlets?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

In most of the houses setup by default now with rogers, both the 2.4 and 5ghz are all set up with the same SSID name.
So most devices will then go and grab and pick up whichever one is stronger.

A 2.4ghz device, should only see the 2.4ghz.

BUT.. i think the issue comes in with the band steering.
That the router end is supposed to try and switch the user over to the other, when available/stronger.
I think in some cases with these, that it trys to flip over devices, even though they cant go onto the other frequency.

You should be able to log into the modem settings, and disable the band steering.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi, I need to set up different ssid names for the 5ghz and 2.4 ghz  bands.  One of my devices won't work on 5ghz and it seems that's the default broadcast all the time

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@kaartil log into the modem, navigate to WIRELESS .... ADVANCED .... 2.4 Ghz.   Disable Band Steering and save the changes. 

Then select the next 5G tab and disable Band Steering for the 5 Ghz band.  Save the changes. 

That should allow you to change the SSIDs for the networks.  If that doesn't work, reboot the modem, ADMIN .... DEVICE RESET .... Reboot.  That should allow you to change the network SSIDSs. 

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks a lot

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

How can I switch my Rogers Ignite router to 2.4Gh?

Highlighted

Hello there @sjd2,

A warm welcome to the Rogers Community Forums and thank you for your first post! 😊

By any chance, have you had the opportunity to try the steps outlined in post #2 of this thread? Please give that a try and let us know how it goes! 

Kind regards,

RogersLaura

Highlighted
I've Been Around

How do you log into your modem? Is there a way to disable band steering via the app?