How to disable or turn off Band Steering?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: How to disable or turn off Band Steering?

From a browser go to 10.0.0.1 and enter your credentials.

No you cannot disable band steering from the mobile app. You need to log into the modem then follow the instructions in the second post in this thread. It should only be turned off if you are experiencing a specific problem with a particular device. Try to solve that issue and then turn band steering back on for optimal performance.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

No, unfortunately, I read the suggestion provided in that link and nothing worked. I even turned off the 5G on my router and still my 2.4G security camera wouldn't connect to my network. Even though it was connected before. I still have 2 of my 4 cameras connected to the original 2.4G network part of my Router.
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Nobody seems to have an answer for this. The articles provided by Rogers, and the information provided in post #2 that everyone references is either totally inaccurate, or dated.

You go into the modem itself at 10.0.0.1, and there's no ability to change anything for WiFi besides turning the individual bands off. It then refers you to either the site, or to use the app, neither of which provide options to affect the band-steering.

I've called in and asked them to disable it, only to have the agent refuse me because "you have pods." It's my understanding that these pods function on a different frequency outside the 2.4 Ghz and 5Ghz frequencies. I'm perfectly capable of managing my home network myself, but I get the feeling these automatic settings are meant to reduce complaints from average Joe with no networking experience.

ROGERS: Please update your app/website/modem firmware. Whatever you have to do to allow us folks with the technical savvy to self-manage our networks.

a) There are devices that are 5Ghz capable, that I want to have on 2.4Ghz based on their proximity to the connection point.

b) I'm convinced that I'm getting interference from neighbours with their own wireless equipment, because you're not allowing customers to choose the channels and bandwidths.

Super frustrating and providing a poor experience!!

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

"Wi-Fi Mode, Security Mode, Channel Selection, Channel Mode, and Channel Bandwidth are being managed automatically to help optimize your home Wi-Fi network and improve Wi-Fi coverage."

Then why does my WiFi network seem entirely unoptimized and unstable?

"To edit your Wi-Fi Network Name & Network password, please download the Rogers Ignite WiFi app or visit ignitewifi.rogers.com."

I need more control than name and password. Please!!!
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

You're absolutely correct! THERE'S NO OPTION TO TURN OFF "BAND STEERING" on my Ignite Router. And as far as the "Pods"?, they're (3) unplugged sitting on my dining room table...usless. Using a non Rogers app to measure Wi-Fi speeds?, it was vastly different (lower) than the Rogers app indicated. And as soon as I walked outside to my backyard?...dropped signal. NEVER had a problem with Bell. I've had 4 service calls and all the calls to Rogers recorded...the problems I've had are still there. I'm just fed up and don't have time for this.
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

It's as if they're quoting an old manual that's no longer relevant. I don't understand it.

Please just rid of this feature, as the only optimization experienced seems to be by Rogers, attempting to reduce tech support calls, and complaints. Mission accomplished?

If you made good, current online resources that were educational about networking concepts as they relate to your products, you would command much more respect.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@sjd2 wrote:
You're absolutely correct! THERE'S NO OPTION TO TURN OFF "BAND STEERING" on my Ignite Router.

The Ignite XB6 gateway enables band steering when the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands have the same network name.  There was never an explicit option to disable band steering but you could by assigning separate WiFi network names.

@DapperFoxtrot wrote:
"To edit your Wi-Fi Network Name & Network password, please download the Rogers Ignite WiFi app or visit ignitewifi.rogers.com."

I need more control than name and password. Please!!!

The lack of control can be frustrating, but I also have the same complaint about every consumer WiFi mesh solution on the market.  However, those mesh networks cater to users who need good WiFi coverage but lack any actual technical depth when it comes to networking, and if you make too many options available, users will inevitably create even more problems for themselves AND for their neighbours.

With the Ignite gateway on its own, you can still have a decent amount of control, the same as what you would get with your average consumer WiFi router.  However, installing the Ignite WiFi mobile app and/or using the Ignite WiFi Hub simplifies management but also automates more settings.

As soon as you introduce Pods into the mix, you lose even more configuration options.  @CommunityHelps  will have to confirm this but apparently users are reporting that just having Pods associated with their account centralizes actual control of their XB6 under the Ignite WiFi Hub.  However, this is a common thing with WiFi mesh networks; they were designed to run themselves and optimize over time to current/changing network conditions.

"Wi-Fi Mode, Security Mode, Channel Selection, Channel Mode, and Channel Bandwidth are being managed automatically to help optimize your home Wi-Fi network and improve Wi-Fi coverage."

Then why does my WiFi network seem entirely unoptimized and unstable?

Even if the network settings are automated, the most critical part of getting a WiFi mesh to work well is the placement of the Pods/mesh nodes themselves.  Ideally, you should place the XB6 gateway in a central location so that it can be the hub of your network, then place the Pods such that they still have good upstream connectivity to the XB6 but can also extend coverage to the hard-to-reach places in your home.  If you place them in an area that has poor upstream connectivity, your WiFi mesh will be very unstable and your throughput will be very poor.

Having too many Pods and placing them too close together will cause problems as well, nor should you have any Pods installed unless you actually need them.

Since Rogers has effectively taken ownership over managing your WiFi, if you are seeing poor WiFi performance, call technical support.  They should be able to assist you in placing your Pods and have visibility (using their internal tools) as to whether any Pods have poor upstream connectivity or poor connectivity with any devices on your network.  However, one thing that they cannot do is to disable Band Steering, if you have Pods installed, because the mesh requires it.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Edit: I do not want to disable band steering but I want a device to connect to the 5 GHz band while keeping my mesh network.
I have the mesh setup and I understand when you setup a mesh network you must use band steering and the gateway will make the descions which devices will connect via 2.4 Ghz or 5Ghz. I want to force a streaming device to always connect to the 5 Ghz band, is that possible?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@kaffan  With most band steering implementations, there is a tendency to steer as many WiFi clients as possible to the 5 GHz band.  Devices (typically) only connect at 2.4 GHz if they either only support that band or if (say, due to distance, or from a load-balancing perspective) the 2.4 GHz band is optimal.

I don't know of any way to steer specific clients to a specific band.  I can't even do that on the business-grade APs that I use.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Thank you for your input.