cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hitron CODA-4582 with TP-Link Mesh System

NiceGuyJoeoo2
I've been around

Hello all!

I’ve seen multiple suggestions online on the “best” way to setup a third-party mesh system with the Rogers modem, and now I have just a few questions surrounding my current setup.

I currently have a TP-Link Deco M4R mesh system connected to our Rogers CODA-4582 modem. The Deco is set up as Router mode (rather than AP) with the internet connection type automatically detected as Dynamic IP (there are 3 kinds of internet connection types available in the Deco setup: Dynamic IP, PPPOE and Static IP).
I also have not Disabled the Residential Gateway Function (enabling bridge mode) on the Rogers modem (as recommended by many online - mentioning NAT issues).
I also read online some people recommending using DMZ mode instead of bridge, then others saying to use IP Passthrough instead…

Should I re-do my entire setup and Disable the Gateway Function prior to setting up the Deco again?
If so and we do put the Rogers modem in bridge mode, will this disable the other 3 ports on the Rogers modem?
I ask this because we have one port connecting our camera system, another connected to our basement ethernet port (connected to our Android box) and the other connected to a spare ethernet port.

On a side note; I do have issues remotely connecting to our camera system sometimes… sometimes it will connect and other times it just gives an error. I’m wondering if this is due to the NAT issues others previously mentioned due to not disabling gateway function?…

I would love to get an experienced/professional opinion on the current setup and possibly getting it re-done. Would also like to know if disabling gateway function is more recommended over DMZ or IP Passthrough.

Thanks in advance!

**Labels Added**

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Hitron CODA-4582 with TP-Link Mesh System

WestPoint
I plan to stick around
Lots too unpack here...

Firstly, as mentioned, no Rogers themselves have no support for any 3rd party hardware so you want find help from them directly really. ..

That said....

Yes, you need to reconfigure SOME of your settings for better performance, but be ware of things as you do these.

One good thing is, you should not need to change any of your TP link mesh system settings if you do this, but will have better performance.

Yes your connection issues are because of your setup as well, your TP link mesh is a separate network basically right now, to the CODA, yes some communication is possible but it's unstable.

Turn off Gateway mode, and yes, use the CODA in proper bridgemode.
This will not disable any of the 4 ethernet ports on the CODA device.
HOWEVER, things you need to be aware of in bridge mode are:
Any devices directly connected to the CODA, your TP link for example, will be directly exposed to the Internet and recieve a full IP from Rogers directly, and needs its own built in firewall. This would not be where you would want your camera system to be connected for example, as it would be exposed and also recieve its own separate IP address from the rest of your house entirely, same as an android box.
Which leads to the next part, the CODA modem in bridge mode can supposedly support upto 2 IP addresses being assigned, as in 2 routers each receiving their own IP from Rogers, operating as independent networks, but total bandwidth still limited to your plan. So if you need that option, it is available as well, but if you connect your TP link and Cameras while in bridgemode, they will get separate IPs from Rogers entirely, and not be dependent on your home LAN, and to access your cameras from your LAN, you would need the exposed Rogers IP of your cameras instead of a local IP address and maybe ports opened, not sure...

What I would recommend is connecting your devices, camera system, android box, ect, directly to your TP link system... if you need more ports, buy a simple cheap 4 or 8 port Ehternet Switch, and add it onto your TP link system with the devices then plugged into that.
Then your TP Link mesh is controlling your entire LAN DHCP network itself, and is the only device directly connected to your CODA modem and exposed to @ ....

Instead of what you have now, which is your CODA making one LAN network, assigning a single IP to your entire TP Link system (which is then creating its own LAN network within that single IP, which is bad and makes double NAT ect), giving one to your cameras, and one to your android box, which then makes your cameras and android box hard to reach... especially if your DHCP is using 192.168.0.xx on both networks...

Anyways, hope that helps!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

RogersMaude

Good day @NiceGuyJoeoo2,

Thank you for posting about your current situation and welcome to the Rogers Community!

We understand your desire to use a third-party mesh network. However, we unfortunately only directly support hardware that we provide.

I'm confident some of our Resident Experts may be able to help you!

@Datalink or @Gdkitty; Would you happen to have any advice for @NiceGuyJoeoo2?

Thanks so much!

RogersMaude

WestPoint
I plan to stick around
Lots too unpack here...

Firstly, as mentioned, no Rogers themselves have no support for any 3rd party hardware so you want find help from them directly really. ..

That said....

Yes, you need to reconfigure SOME of your settings for better performance, but be ware of things as you do these.

One good thing is, you should not need to change any of your TP link mesh system settings if you do this, but will have better performance.

Yes your connection issues are because of your setup as well, your TP link mesh is a separate network basically right now, to the CODA, yes some communication is possible but it's unstable.

Turn off Gateway mode, and yes, use the CODA in proper bridgemode.
This will not disable any of the 4 ethernet ports on the CODA device.
HOWEVER, things you need to be aware of in bridge mode are:
Any devices directly connected to the CODA, your TP link for example, will be directly exposed to the Internet and recieve a full IP from Rogers directly, and needs its own built in firewall. This would not be where you would want your camera system to be connected for example, as it would be exposed and also recieve its own separate IP address from the rest of your house entirely, same as an android box.
Which leads to the next part, the CODA modem in bridge mode can supposedly support upto 2 IP addresses being assigned, as in 2 routers each receiving their own IP from Rogers, operating as independent networks, but total bandwidth still limited to your plan. So if you need that option, it is available as well, but if you connect your TP link and Cameras while in bridgemode, they will get separate IPs from Rogers entirely, and not be dependent on your home LAN, and to access your cameras from your LAN, you would need the exposed Rogers IP of your cameras instead of a local IP address and maybe ports opened, not sure...

What I would recommend is connecting your devices, camera system, android box, ect, directly to your TP link system... if you need more ports, buy a simple cheap 4 or 8 port Ehternet Switch, and add it onto your TP link system with the devices then plugged into that.
Then your TP Link mesh is controlling your entire LAN DHCP network itself, and is the only device directly connected to your CODA modem and exposed to @ ....

Instead of what you have now, which is your CODA making one LAN network, assigning a single IP to your entire TP Link system (which is then creating its own LAN network within that single IP, which is bad and makes double NAT ect), giving one to your cameras, and one to your android box, which then makes your cameras and android box hard to reach... especially if your DHCP is using 192.168.0.xx on both networks...

Anyways, hope that helps!
Topic Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 3 in conversation