cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethernet Connectivity Problems

ejardin13
I've been here awhile

Ethernet Connectivity Problems (Computer settings suspect, not router or TP-Link Wired Connection)

Hi all - I'm at a loss after hours of searching. I fought with my two desktops to find out how to transfer files via LAN/ethernet cable and finally figured it out after many tweaks. The bad news, when I went to plug the ethernet cable back into my TP-Link 1200mbps Powerline Adapter it fails to connect to the internet. Note: the internet works on my wifi enabled computer, just not this one. I've tried resetting the ethernet properties, I've tried "obtain an IP address automatically", I've tried different suggested IP configurations. I'm at a loss because I don't think there is anything wrong with my internet or TP-Link - but with my computer settings. Any advice would be super appreciated!

***Added Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Ethernet Connectivity Problems

ejardin13
I've been here awhile

I need to hang my head in shame. I restarted and unplugged my computer, I spent hours tinkering with settings... I didn't unplug the . Powerline. Worked like a charm!

SOLUTION: Unplug the powerline adapters for 10 seconds, allowing them to reset.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

RogersTony

Hello, @ejardin13

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums and congratulations on your first post. 🙂

I can imagine how disappointing it was to get so close to your goal only to face this issues once you've got everything setup the way you wanted.

We have several resident experts who may be able to assist you in getting this working. I will tag them into my reply now: @Datalink, @Gdkitty, @-G-, @gp-se. Once they have a moment to review your post I am confident they will be able to provide you with some options and hopefully a solution. If there are other users in the Community who can assist please feel free to provide your input.

Thank you for posting your concern to our Community.

RogersTony

Bplayer
I'm a trusted contributor

Assuming these Desktop PC are Windows based and on the same network, you should set a folder to "share" and then use File Explorer to "see" the other PC under Network and then copy or move files. Sometimes there is a bit more involved like needing to provide the ID and password of the other PC and making sure that network is set to Private. The PC's can either be wired or wifi on the same network for this to work. You may have figured this out already.

When you say "it fails to connect to the internet" do you mean that you cannot get the PC connected to the internet? Is wifi working and is the LAN connection working on the other PC? If just one PC is having problems, open Network Status (started from Windows search) and try running Network troubleshooter. You may have changed some settings and this could restore them. There are other more surgical actions if this does not work.

ColdGranite
I'm a senior contributor

In the course of "tweaking" to talk directly to the other computer:

Is it possible that you used a "crossover" ethernet cable?  (new ethernet controllers typically know how to handle the crossover themselves, but you may have been told to use a crossover cable anyway).

Make sure that you are using a "straight through" (normal) cable to go out to the world.

Why don't you go "settings" - network - ethernet".... copy the information there, and post it here... it might provide a clue.

ColdGranite
I'm a senior contributor

One other thing...

Did you have to change SMB settings during your "tweaks" to talk to the other computer?  If the computer was an older operating system, it might have required SMB1.  Make sure that the SMB1 checkmark is taken OFF, and rebooted, before trying to connect it to the outside world.

ejardin13
I've been here awhile

I need to hang my head in shame. I restarted and unplugged my computer, I spent hours tinkering with settings... I didn't unplug the . Powerline. Worked like a charm!

SOLUTION: Unplug the powerline adapters for 10 seconds, allowing them to reset.

Topic Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 4 in conversation