cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eero Hub not registering

Cottage2
I've been here awhile

After waiting a month for a Eero to arrive from Rogers and told that it will be another 6 weeks, I bought an Eero from Amazon, 

I followed the instructions that come with the Eero but it would not connect to the Rogers Hitron modem. The challenge seems to be that the Eero is not getting the internet sent to it so cannot register on the system, 

I have spent hours with support, Rogers technicians wont help because its not their modem (even thought its the exact same system and they dont have any to sell or rent me) 

Has anyone else had this issue?

***Added Labels***

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Eero Hub not registering

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hi, @Cottage2  and welcome to the Rogers community!

Yes, the eero does require Internet connectivity for its initial setup.  Do not enable "bridge mode" on the Rogers modem; leave it in gateway mode while you perform the initial setup of your eero system and update its firmware.

After the initial setup is complete, you have two options:

1. Leave the Rogers modem in gateway mode, disable WiFi on the Rogers modem, and put the eero system into bridge mode.  (That is the setup that Rogers recommends.)
  2. Put the Rogers modem into bridge mode and use the eero as the main Internet router/firewall for your home.  (This is the setup that eero recommends.)  If you choose to go this route, make sure that you do not have any devices (other than the primary eero node) plugged into the Ethernet ports of the Rogers modem.

With older eero firmware, the entire WiFi mesh used to go down when you lost Internet connectivity.  With the newer firmware, that is no longer the case but I'm pretty sure that the eero system still needs an active Internet connection in order for it to boot up and requires connectivity to "the cloud" so that it can communicate with eero's back-end systems.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Cottage2
I've been here awhile
Hi, I am having trouble with the initial set up as the Eero is not getting the internet in order to register and complete the initial set up.

Hello @Cottage2,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Rogers Community Forums. I hope you and your loved ones are doing well and keeping safe.

Thank you @-G- for your response to this inquiry. 

We are sorry to hear you're having issues setting up your Eero, you have come to the right place. To better assist you, we will need you to confirm some information:

• What colour is the LED status light on your eero hub?
  • Do you get an error message when trying to set up with the app?
  • Can you also complete a factory reset on your modem and attempt to set up eero again?

Keep us posted!

RogersRob

Cottage2
I've been here awhile
Hello Rogersrob. I hope you are doing well too!

The lights on the eero flash blue.

I can set up the eero to the point where it tries to register then it tells me it doesn’t have internet and that’s as far as I can go.

I have restarted everything over 30 times and spent 2 hours with a level 2 eero tech and Rogers tech at the same time. The Rogers tech told us they know how to fix it but we’re not allowed.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Cottage2 wrote:
The lights on the eero flash blue.

I can set up the eero to the point where it tries to register then it tells me it doesn’t have internet and that’s as far as I can go.

You might be at a point in the setup where the problem is not that the eero node does not have Internet connectivity but rather that the mobile device running the eero app does not have Internet connectivity.

https://support.eero.com/hc/en-us/articles/207921153-Why-is-a-data-connection-necessary-for-setting-...

If that is the case, then the solution would be to connect your mobile device to the Rogers modem via WiFi so that it can complete that phase of the setup process.

Cottage2
I've been here awhile
We tried to connect with both my iPad and iPhone running the set up and both were on wifi.
My iPad can only use wifi, it doesn't have a data plan.

Topic Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 in conversation