cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Editing Wifi Network Details

athessalonian
I've been here awhile

How can I change my wifi network name without using the HomeConnect App?

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Editing Wifi Network Details

@athessalonian wrote:

... I don't own a cellphone I am between a rock and a hard place...

Do you have a compatible tablet, or can you borrow a device?

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@athessalonian You should be able to do this by going to http://10.0.0.1 and logging into your Ignite Gateway using a web browser.  The default username and password is admin and password.

Once you are logged in, go to "Gateway > Connection > Wi-Fi", click the EDIT button, and you should be able to change your Wi-Fi network name and passphrase on that network band.  Unfortunately, we are locked out from making any other changes to our Wi-Fi settings.

athessalonian
I've been here awhile

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately when I do all this under the edit function for some reason I am still unable to change my network name. It appears that the edit function on the network name has been nullified. Furthermore there is a message on the stating that to change the network name one must download the HomeConnectApp. And since I don't own a cellphone I am between a rock and a hard place...

@athessalonian  Sorry about that. I did not realize that none of the Wi-Fi settings can be changed through the web admin UI anymore.  (I run my home network on my own network gear, with my Ignite Gateway in Bridge Mode. and I did not have an opportunity to verify the instructions that I posted.)

I don't know what to suggest at this time if you cannot use the Ignite HomeConnect app.

I would not consider this a solution but one extreme way to change the Wi-Fi network name and passphrase would be to factory-reset the Ignite Gateway and then re-do the basic setup using a web browser.

@athessalonian wrote:

... I don't own a cellphone I am between a rock and a hard place...

Do you have a compatible tablet, or can you borrow a device?

athessalonian
I've been here awhile

Thank you for responding.

As things stand your suggestion is and can be a viable alternative.

I ended up calling Rogers tech support and had them change the network name.

In doing so I had to spend a considerable time on hold wasting their time and mine.

Can't understand why Rogers did this and in doing so took away the ability, of those of us who either do not own a cellphone and or do not own a smart phone, to be able to do so independently. Incomprehensible...

Regards

LordDrakkon
I'm an advisor

Rogers doesn't seem to care about the niche group of people who do not own cellphones or tablets or those of us with visual impairments that can't see apps on these small devices.  Restricting the webUI away from customers is a poor decision and one that will have me leaving Rogers for Bell as soon as that 3Gbits up and down fiber is available in my building, which thankfully will be very soon.  

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

There is a solution, it is called bridge your modem and use your own router. Then you are in complete control of your network environment.

athessalonian
I've been here awhile

Thank you for the reply.

It is a worthy of consideration idea.

Regards

The only issue with that is... If any internet issue arrises, even if it isn't on the customers end. Support will not troubleshoot the service and simply blame your setup and you using bridge mode.
Topic Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 in conversation