cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need the DNS server addresses from Rogers to help with setting up a static ip address?

gryph305
I've been here awhile

I hoping to improve my gaming experience and reduce lag by achieving an open NAT.  My NAT is mostly moderate and sometimes strict so I want to try and set up a static IP address.  To do that I believe I need to include the correct dns server addresses.  I don't have them because Rogers has set up my router as a gateway to the actual dns servers. If I don't need to use the real ones when configuring my static ip I couild list the private address that also serves as the default gateway.  Is there a resident expert who might advise me?

***Added Labels***

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Do I need the DNS server addresses from Rogers to help with setting up a static ip address?

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Generally, setting up a static IP address, will only help when you set up some port forwarding to that specific game box's IP address.  Which we can also help with, but that will be a last step.

You may/do have a few options, but its up to you on how you want to do it.
If you want to let us know WHICH model modem you have, it may vary on HOW you set it up.

Option one, let the modem/gateway set it via a reservation.  You can set it up by it identifying the system via its MAC address, and the gateway will always assign it the SAME IP address when its doing its DHCP address request.  With this it will assign the standard rogers DNS address automatically as well.
Option two, is setting it on the device itself.  You will need to set an IP address, as well as the gateways IP.  Depending on the system, may allow it to just get the DNS itself, or may have to enter it.  Can enter the rogers values (you can get them in the modem status pages), or use a 3rd party if its recommended.  

From there, once you have the static address, it gets to the port forwarding part.  

Re: Do I need the DNS server addresses from Rogers to help with setting up a static ip address?

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
DNS has nothing to do with Static IP. Rogers may not offer Static IP for Residential internet customers, im not 100% sure but you might have to call and ask, but chances are, highly unlikely. If you REALLY NEED one, you can get a static HOST name, with a dynamic address, this has been around for years, aka DynDns or you can move to a Business Internet Account and ask them about how much they charge and if its possible to get static?

hope this helps

gryph305
I've been here awhile

Thanks Gdkitty and Pauly for responding.  I've been around pcs and gaming for a number of years but I lack the knowledge I need to fully understand router technology.  From your replies I suspect I should leave things as they are. I'll explain why.

First, Gdkitty, to answer your question I have the Rocket wifi modem, the Hitron CGN3ACSMR.

I just moved  from a house to a condo where I found the bldg on a Rogers contract.  Since it was part of my condo fee I made the switch from Bell.  My rogers 'stuff' runs off a wall outlet that was wired in the early 1980's. The cable goes thru a 2 way splitter to supply a line to a tv pvr.  The other cable goes thru a wall to "my" room where it runs thru a 3 way splitter to supply a 2nd pver, a Rogers phone modem, and, finally my Hitron.   So I wasn't so sure that my internet speeds would be the greatest with 2 splitters and 4 devices on the 'line'. 

I decided I still wanted to game so I bought a new HP gamer with an Intel i7-9700K CPU at 3.6 Ghz, 16 gbs of ram and an Nvidia  Geforce RTX 2070 card.   So I have a pretty decent set up but I experience a constant 2-3 second lag when I am gaming.  That led me to try port forwarding.  I read up on it at a number of sites and then set it up.  The end result was no change.  I used a port checker on the main port for my game and found it blocked.

So all the foregoing led me to read further where I found more than one site claiming port forwarding would only help if I had a static IP.  They also said  that if, when I ran ipconfig, I found the default gateway ip identical to the dns servers entry I would have to find out the real dns servers from my ISP.....Hence my original post.

I should mention my internet package is the 150 u level.  The rogers techs had trouble getting everything to work...the tv was a particular problem.  They passed the ticket to maintenance and, after some time, all was well.  And, I ended up with an internet dl speed of 300 mbps.

So, from you posts, I think the sites I have been reading were not quite accurate and perhaps I should leave things as they are? 

Thanks again,  finding this forum was a pleasant surprise. (Bell forums blew up years ago)

FiberInternet
I plan to stick around
Hey so all these guys are lying to you I have an open Nat type on Xbox one if u have that or PS4 go to network settings put in an IP address manually but first go to 192.168.0.1 and check your dhcp limit and then put on IP address this is on that will work for u 192.168.0.201 then while your on the 192.168.0.1 which u need to search in the browser and put the user name cusadmin and password password then go to dmz and type in 192.168.201 after u put that ip on whatever console You are using then set up the IP address in the dmz and you will always have an open nat type after doing this.

@FiberInternet I don't know what you're attempting to say here, no one is lying with the statement that the DNS setting is independent of any static IP address setting.  Just to offer another opinion on your solution, running in a DMZ leaves the connected device wide open to the internet.  There are apparently secondary security concerns as a typical consumer home device uses a simple switch for port switching, which doesn't offer a great deal of security when a DMZ is introduced into the network.  The more secure way of running a DMZ would be to use a VLAN that is dedicated to the DMZ and isolating that VLAN from everything else, but that is well above most consumer equipment. 

gryph305
I've been here awhile

I finally resolved my problem after more reading.  I realized the DMZ route wasn't safe so I ended up setting up a permanent ip address for my pc using a DHCP reservation.  All my games now report an open NAT and I am once again able to link up with a friend to play coop etc.    Thanks for the additional replies...seems like there's always a little more to discover when you dig into the world of software and hardware.

Baharis
I've been here awhile

Hi mate, would this work for a Ps5 nat open connection? If so, could you share how this was done? 

Topic Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 6 in conversation