cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

laptops being assigned wrong ip address

mamasaur
I've been around

hello, so ive been running into a weird issue where after a reset of my modem, all laptops within my household (about 5 of them) all changed their IP addresses. by changed their IP address I'm referring to the default gateway and ipv4 address. the IP address went from a 10.0.0.x (rogers ignite IP addresses) to 192.168.x.x. and therefore the internet does not work on the laptops.

i was able to work around this by setting up each device with a static IP but I'm confused as to why this occurred? its not the first time this has happened either. this happened a few months back too but after a couple hours the devices began to work on its own, but this time around that didn't seem to work. 

this issue is also limited to windows laptops and has not occurred on any other wireless or wired devices. would this happen to be a windows issue or something different?

1 REPLY 1

Re: laptops being assigned wrong ip address

RogersMoin

Hello, @mamasaur.

Thank you for your post, and welcome to Rogers Community Forums! 😃

It’s intriguing that five laptops will acquire a 192.168.x.x IP address after the modem is reset. I’m assuming you are doing a factory reset.

I have seen if a device can’t acquire an IP address, then it will use a private IP address 169.254.x.x but not 192.168.x.x.

So these laptops connect to your home WiFi network but acquire a 192 dot IP address? The Ignite WiFi gateway modems cannot give out a 192 dot IP address. Do you have another router running?

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Topic Stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 in conversation