cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant "Site Can't Be Reached" errors only while on Rogers' network

luvsql
I plan to stick around

I ONLY have this issue when connected to my Rogers wireless and just to be clear I have unplugged my router many times, rebooted my laptop many times, it's Rogers.  

All of the Microsoft websites I use for work (https://www.office.microsoft.com..., https://forms.office.com...., documentcloud.adobe.com..., and so on and so on) I get Site Can't be reached.  I have to refresh a few times and then they work.  My apps that connect to O365 constantly show errors and timeouts.

If I take my same laptop and simply disconnect from Rogers wifi, and connect to my mobile hotspot of my Bell cellphone, never, ever do I get these errors.  Not once.

If I take my same laptop to work, never, ever do I get these errors.

Every single time I work from home since the last 10 days, constant problems and ONLY on Rogers.  

I contacted Rogers support and after 2 days, no one has looked into the issue and they keep telling me they'll look into it.  

I can't keep using my cellphone just to work.  

**Labels Added**

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Constant "Site Can't Be Reached" errors only while on Rogers' network

yeemail
I've been here awhile

I just fix this issue by turning OFF the "Ignite Advanced Security" feature on the HomeConnect App and now able to reach all the websites that I was having problem reaching before.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

RogersTony

Hello, @luvsql 

Thank you for posting your concern to the community.

This is the first time we are seeing this specific issue reported. There maybe a setting on the modem that is blocking these websites. You can perform a factory reset on your modem to ensure the settings are reset to default. You can find the steps on how to reset the modem here.

Let us know if issues are persistent after the reset.

RogersTony

yeemail
I've been here awhile

I'm having the same exact issue.  Some website cannot be reached if on Rogers Internet but had no problem on my cellphone's Virgin (Bell) hotspot.  I contacted Rogers but was told to check my settings because Rogers modem don't block websites and no other support was given.  This can't be my settings because without changing any settings, I can reach the same website with Bell.

yeemail
I've been here awhile

I just fix this issue by turning OFF the "Ignite Advanced Security" feature on the HomeConnect App and now able to reach all the websites that I was having problem reaching before.

Joel13
I plan to stick around

I have advanced security solutions enabled and I am able to hit the forms website, but the office one is showing that the certificate is not matching the name of the site, so there's other security issues there. There could be something else at play maybe?

Joel Gallant
photography.joelgallant.ca
vero.co/joelgallant

How do you turn this off?

Hi @blackranger3d,

Welcome to the Community!

We highly recommend keeping Advanced Security turned on for ongoing network protection, but if you choose to turn it off, you can follow the steps below.

1. Open the Ignite HomeConnect app and sign in using your MyRogers username and password.
  2. Select the Account icon at the top left corner of the Overview screen.
  3. Scroll to the “More Resources” section and select Advanced Security to turn off the feature.

RogersZia

Doug33
I've been around

I'm having this issue on my Rogers mobility. I just switched over from Bell and now most websites don't work. Most of my apps won't work either. I can't even login to my ScotiaBank app... I saw people saying they turned off setting in the Ignite app, but I don't have that installed.

Has anyone fixed this through other ways? I can't believe Rogers thinks this level of control is acceptable. I also can't believe anyone stays with them... I'm on day two and if this isn't fixed by the time I can get over to Bell or Telus, these fools are gone!

Hi @Doug33,

Thank you for joining us here at the Rogers Community Forums. Are you experiencing the same issue as described in this thread? Can you let us know some more information so that we can assist you further?

You mentioned that you are having this issue with your Rogers mobility. Are you referring to your cellphone? Do you have any issues connecting to the sites and apps while on data (LTE), or is this only occurring while you are on your home Wi-Fi network?

If you can let us know some more details and we will be glad to help.

RogersJermaine

brucemmann
I'm here a lot

Having the exact same problem since having Ignite installed late last week.  How do you get this fixed/resolved???  About to call Bell and drop Rogers!

Does adjusting the “security mode” setting (three option) from in the app do anything?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@brucemmann wrote:

Having the exact same problem since having Ignite installed late last week.  

Please provide a few sample URLs that we can test.  This may not be a Rogers issue.

Are you talking about via a Browser on a Computer, or otherwise, please provide as much information as possible.

During a recent trip out of the country, there were numerous websites I couldn't get to, but it apparently had something to do with the "backbone" or other way that the ISP I was on functioned. A couple of days later, everything worked fine on the same (Mexican) ISP.

Turning it off didn’t fix the problem 

I’ve dealt with tech support twice over the past three days who said it’s a DNS blocking issue and they’re escalating it to an IT tech in background. Never hear back, not fixed…

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I am getting occasional 404 errors with Chrome 122 when clicking on links.  Looks like the Chromium devs tightened up security in this release.  On problematic sites, I see different behaviours with Chrome, Firefox and Safari.

On top of that, I see occasional glitches with Rogers DNS resolution that I don't get when using 3rd-party DNS services.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Correct.. with 'safe browsing' type things being implement more and more in Chrome and some other browsers, I have seen some sites which just dont seem to want to load.

Rogers, bell, etc most of them go get their general entries from GLOBAL DNS sources.. but thats not to say there cant be problems.  I remember not long after being on here, someone was having issues getting to some china sites.  Ended up that the site moved, and seemed like the global DNS change had not propagated yet.  I helped test on like 3 other providers and only ONE it worked on for the time.  Once we tracked the IP, could get to it by any provider.

That all being said, it is possible that rogers (or any provider that anyone is on) could have other DNS issues that cause it.
Heck, the last few major rogers OUTAGES, were not 100% outages.  The service was up, peoples internet 'worked'.  The rogers DNS servers just died or something.
Using alternate DNS, I was and running fine the whole time.

Testing using another DNS, would be a good test to narrow it down if thats the problem.

Unfortunately, any 'fix' change, etc that would be requested to have them change the DNS is not going to be instantiations.  It could have major implications.  There will be testing, approval, etc before it would be implemented.

Phongwifi
I've been here awhile

PROBLEM SLOVE, FINALLY. I got stuck with the same problem for almost 2 months, tried out all the possible ways with help from technician but no work.

Finally, by luck after all effort. Simple just download Home-Connect app, go to Wifi, find your device listed in there, Assigned that device to Household. And that is it. Good luck everyone.

Phongwifi
I've been here awhile
Update. Actually, turn Security ON from the app on then assigned devices.
Topic Stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 13 in conversation