cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant Ping Spikes

zRa
I plan to stick around

Hi 

My internet for literally the past 2 months has constantly been ping spiking like no tomorrow. Every day I try to play CS GO, I can never seem to play peacefully because im always lagging out and spiking every 2 minutes and to make matters worse it spikes upto 800 MS. I've called rogers who told me to upgrade to Ignite Internet since I was on legacy Ignite which I did and the problem still persists. To make matters worse now, now my TV which is Ignite TV also buffers out and freezes at the same time.

I'm using only hard-wired connections and no wireless and Rogers Technical Support can't seem to figure it out. They constantly keep saying there is no issue when this problem has been persisting for 2 months.

Any advice?

*** Edited Labels ***

45 REPLIES 45

Re: Constant Ping Spikes

zRa
I plan to stick around

Unfortunately, I don't even think they got the problem right. They just said they need time to do the uplift until the end of February. 

However, I don't really care for financial credits. I'm not financially hurting over an internet bill but i need the internet to do my job as I work from home. 

mebe
I'm a trusted contributor
Looks like you stumped them. You did everything necessary to get their attention, but now you've been asked to twiddle your thumbs, while hoping that the next stage is the one that does the trick. It doesn't sound promising, but at least you got a chance to enlighten us about something that is most likely occurring more often than it should.

This would make a lousy Hallmark movie ... Assuming of course that there are some good ones.

"Ping Pong Gone Wrong" ... Coming soon to The Hallmark Channel. 🎾⚠️

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@zRa Sounds a lot like a problem we had a few years ago: https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Brutal-latency-ping-Recently/td-p/454780

People called Tech Support and they said that they did not see any problems.  That was not a lie.  In my case, my modem's connection was totally healthy.  However, there was also this piece of gear in Rogers' network that would basically stop forwarding traffic from time to time for several thousand milliseconds at a time.  Even after I was able to pinpoint precisely where the problem was, it still took the network team quite a while to fix it... but one day, overnight, the problem went away.  Rogers never acknowledged the existance of the problem but, for a short while afterward, they DID start notifying customers whern major network software upgrades were scheduled to be implemented in their area and asked them to test their network connectivity before and afterward.

It's quite possible that the root cause of your problem is a completely different issue.  However, somebody in Rogers must know that the performance problem affecting you exists and know what is causing it.

Romulus1
I've been here awhile
If you ping a line literally how long does it take to get there using finer op.

Romulus1
I've been here awhile
Yeah it’s probably a monitor thing

zRa
I plan to stick around

Maybe. However, I can't tell you what the problem is cause they wont tell me what the problem is. I find it extremely hard to believe they dont know whats causing the issue. I work with Data Centers every single day and if my team came back to me and told me they needed 6 months to solve a traffic issue or that they didnt know what the problem was for 6 months, the conversation would be very animated to say the least. 

However, we'll see what they come back with but its quite disappointing. Hoping Starlink launches in Toronto in the early half of 2023 and then im done with Rogers for good. This whole experience is exhausting and I'd rather pay more money than have to explain every time i call in with my issue to someone who has absolutely 0 idea how to troubleshoot/provide technical support sides restarting your modem.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@zRa Just keep in mind that Rogers will not comment on any problems that they are trying to resolve or the impact of any changes that they have made to their network... so, even if tech support agents are aware of ongoing issues, they are not at liberty to discuss them publicly.

Hopefully, the performance issues that you are seeing will go away quickly and quietly.

zRa
I plan to stick around

I mean that kind of defeats the purpose of technical support.... If there is an issue and they can't talk about it, we're expected to just sit tight? If you don't think that's problematic, then i don't know what to say.

Keep in mind some areas only have one provider so many people don't even have a second option.

mebe
I'm a trusted contributor
It's problematic for virtually anything that involves people or departments that customers don't have access to ... Unless you gain partial access through a middle-man with the proper contacts to the essential departments and experienced people.

Many problems are not that difficult to fix, as long as there's more direct interaction with those in the know, so that the back-and-forth sharing of thoughts and actions, don't get misinterpreted by the other less important departments or people that customers often get shuffled back and forth to.

Nowadays, if it's Plug-N-Play, they want you to shut up and go away.

yunier850710
I plan to stick around
My issue was solved 3 days ago, but no one call me to let me know about it. I guess was something internally from them.

hi60
I've been around

For the past 2 weeks or so I have been experiencing sudden lag spikes when gaming (sometimes 1000ms+) which has really made most games unplayable. My upload and download speeds seem to be normal  but I still have these spikes which I guess is the result of packet loss? It is worth noting that I am having these spikes when gaming on my phone via wifi and also on my PC via ethernet so I do not think the issue is with my devices.

Apparently the internet in my area has just recently been upgraded and the changes could be what is the cause of my lag spikes recently? But I am unsure as to how this could affect my gaming experience when speed tests are still consistent to what they were before.

Any help on solving this would be much appreciated.

zRa
I plan to stick around

Still waiting for mine to be resolved with no updates. Pings still spiking over 2,000 every minute or so.

zRa
I plan to stick around

Goodluck is all I can say. I've been having the same issue since October and they still haven't found a fix for it.

It took them 4 months to even acknowledge there was a problem.

zRa
I plan to stick around
we are now entering February and there is still no resolution on this issue since October 2022….

tw7788
I've been here awhile

Hi @zRa 

Any updates from Rogers? I started having the same issue with ping spikes during peak hours 4pm-12am and weekends. I am in the 16th/Kennedy area. Internet was great in the past year until January pink spike up to 2000ms starts happening. Very frustrating...

justwanttocance
I've been here awhile

I had this same problem. Rogers does not like to tell you, but the truth is, your internet is shared through your area (block for example). I had 1000gbps with Rogers, but it would lag, and get high ping. I had this problem back in 2019, and recently tried Rogers internet again and had the same issue. There are service providers who DO not share your internet with your block/area. The only way to fix this problem is to talk to them, and they will explain why Rogers internet does this.

zRa
I plan to stick around

I'm in Mississauga. Recommend me a provider that provides dedicated internet and I will disconnect all my rogers services and move on. This hassle and lack of transparency from Rogers is beyond me. I'm literally counting down the days till I can get Starlink as that will arrive here before Fibe to the Door.

zRa
I plan to stick around

Unfortunately, no resolution for me just yet. They said its area congestion and I have to wait until end of February. Ive been complaining about this since October 2022 and there's been no resolution at this time. Sorry to say but you're in for a long ride.

tw7788
I've been here awhile

If I switch to a reseller or other brands that uses rogers infrastructure, will I still be having the same issue?

InternetUser21
I've been here awhile

I've been having the same issues with Rogers Ignite in the Ottawa area since October as well. Almost every day around 2pm, my ping spikes upwards of 600ms for several hours. Been dealing with useless tech's for the past few months until recently, when someone who is actually committed to helping has been coming to investigate. I've gotten a brand new modem, and all the lines into the house have been replaced, and I'm still having the same problem. I was told that it could be one device in particular causing the issue, but I've taken the steps I was recommended to discern whether that was the case or not and it doesn't seem to be. The last thing I was told it could be was an area wide issue, though I'm not sure how Rogers plans to determine or fix it. Unfortunately no other ISP's in my area offer gigabit internet so I'm stuck with it for now... I'll update if something gets figured out over here, as it seems like we're having the same issue.

yunier850710
I plan to stick around

yes you will still.

Topic Stats
  • 45 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 12 in conversation