Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting Juniper SRX340 directly to Nokia ONT

grwl
I plan to stick around

Hi,

I recently moved from Bell FTTH to Rogers FTTH

My setup with bell was straight forward, Fiber from outside demarc was plugged to Juniper SRX340 (was using the Nokia SFP Bell Provided). Juniper SRX was doing the PPPoe and everything worked well. for LAN I was using Cisco Wifi AP.

Now with rogers, the Fiber comes to Nokia ONT (which has one fiber port and one ethernet port) the Ethernet Port has XB7 wifi modem plugged into it.

My question are as follow:-

1. Is there a way to remove Nokia ONT and XB& and plug junipersrx 340 directly to rogers fiber?

2. If option 1 is not doable, can I pluf my juniper srx340 to nokia ont? ( I tried it but the juniper interface connecetd to nokia ont was not getting any ip address from rogers)

Please let me know.

***Added Labels***

12 REPLIES 12

Re: Connecting Juniper SRX340 directly to Nokia ONT

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@grwl yes, you can connect the Nokia ONT directly to the Juniper SRX340 via ethernet.  You can't get rid of the ONT. 

If you have the Ignite TV service, keep in mind that this is a Comcast product and the modem and set top boxes are configured to talk to each other, including a lost and found service.  However, from other posts where customers have connected a router directly to the ONT, removing the modem from the system, they haven't reported any issues with the set top boxes. 

The only caveat for the set top boxes is that you need IPV6 running so that the set top boxes behave properly.  Rogers uses Native IPV6.  With copper cabling connected, you can request a /64 or a /56.  With the fibre system, it appears that you can only get a /64.  I've asked a question as to what the issue is with fibre, but haven't received an answer to the question.  

Have a look at the following post regarding connecting directly to the ONT;

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/How-to-disable-Rogers-Ignite-Wifi-Hub-remote-manageme...

Here's a previous post with IPV6 settings for Rogers network:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Archived-Posts/Rogers-IPv6-Status/m-p/373238/highlight/true#M1...

A Juniper router isn't included, but there should be enough information in the post to allow you to configure the necessary IPV6 settings.

Also note that Rogers fibre system enables you to use a straight ethernet connection from the ONT to the connected router.  No PPPoE!!  So that simplifies setting up the downstream router.  Really all you have to consider is the connection rate with the ONT, which is determined by the connected port on the Juniper SRX340.

It will be interesting to see what you think about Rogers fibre service compared to Bell's fibre service.  Feel free to post comments on the comparison. 

grwl
I plan to stick around

Hi @Datalink 

Thanks for the information. I don't have any IPTV service it just the Internet.

Yesterday I connected my Juniper SRX 340 to the Ethernet port on ONT and my port on Juniper is set to auto negotiate speed /duplex and it is also set for DHCP.

I never got the WAN IP address 

When you say - straight ethernet connection from the ONT to the connected router, that means setting plain DHCP link and not use any routing/authentication protocols?

I know now days devices are smart to auto negotiate the cross/straight cables, but do you think I may be using wrong physical cable from juniper to ONT ?

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@grwl if setting a plain DHCP link means allowing the Cable Modem Termination System (CMTS) to assign a WAN address to the router, then, yes.  Did you clear out or disable the PPPoE processing?

When you physically connect the ONT to the router, start or restart the router so that the CMTS can assign a WAN IP address to the router.  That should be an automatic assignment when the router is booting up. 

The ONT should be handling any routing/authentication protocols, leaving the ONT / router link as a plain ethernet link.  Hopefully this is what you're looking for ...

grwl
I plan to stick around

@Datalink Yes I have plain DHCP config and PPPoE config has been deleted, but still I am not getting the WAN IP, looks like the juniper interface is going thru DORA process as I see it requesting the IP, but after being in request state for 3 - 5 mins it goes back to INIT state.

I have attached two photos for more clarity.

1st image DHCP juniper interface connected to ONT is trying to get WAN IP

2nd image Plain DHCP config of my juniper interface

What is weird that when I connect the same juniper interface to XB7 modem LAN port it gets the 10.0.0x IP right away, which proves my juniper interface is configured properly.

DSC_1244 (1).JPG

DSC_1245 (1).JPG

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@grwl looks like the moderators didn't approve the first image for some reason.  Possibly the IP address?   

When you connected the Bell router to the Juniper SRX340 what was the connect rate?  If I remember correctly, the HH4000 has a 10 gig ethernet port on it.  I assume that it also has a 1 Gb/s ethernet port.  Or, did you use the HH3000? 

In any event, I'm wondering if there's a connect rate issue between the ONT and the SRX340.  The SRX340 port obviously works at 1 Gb/s when its connected to the modem, so, I'm wondering about the top data rate capabilities of the SRX340 port.  Is it a multi-gig ethernet port or are you using an ethernet to SFP+ cable to connect to the SRX340?

I'm grasping at straws here.  As you said, it works when you keep the modem in the path, so, why doesn't it work when you go direct to the SRX340?

Looking back at your posts, you have a Nokia XS-010X-Q ONT with a single multi-gig ethernet port.  That port runs at 100 M / 1 G / 2.5 G / 5 G / 10 G with auto-negotiation or manual configuration.  I would assume that its set for auto-negotiation.

Maybe @JKnott might have some ideas.....

JKnott
I'm a reliable contributor

Sorry, I have no experience with the ONT.

Any ideas for the WAN side of the Juniper SRX340?  Understanding that running the ONT or Juniper SRX340 aren't necessarily your field of expertise.

JKnott
I'm a reliable contributor

No experience with the Juniper either.  I run pfSense for my firewall/router.

grwl
I plan to stick around

@Datalink attaching the first image again at the bottom.

Bell Router (HH3000) was never connected to the SRX340, the fiber from bell was directly going to juniper port 

That's correct I am using SFP to Ethernet module to connect between juniper and Nokia XS-010X-Q ONT.

why the link comes up if the issue is with data rate?

1.JPG

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Whats the top data rate thru the SFP port on the SRX340?

Are you able to designate a straight ethernet port as the WAN port on the SRX340 and then connect the ONT to the SRX340 via ethernet cable, just to see what happens?  I'm wondering if there's an issue between the ONT and the SFP to Ethernet module?  That SFP to Ethernet module obviously works at 1 Gb/s connected to the modem, but, connected to the multi-gig port on the ONT, there's some problem showing up.

Are any of the ports on the SRX340 multi-gig capable, or are they either 1 Gb/s or 10 Gb/s?

grwl
I plan to stick around

All ports on the SRX340 can only do max 1Gb/s. 

When to say designate a straight ethernet port, does that mean a switchport ? bcz If I configure it as switchport It cannot have DHCP config on it.

I will try different SFP to Ethernet module. 

grwl
I plan to stick around

@Datalink @JKnott  I was able to figure it out and now I have my SRX 340 connected to NOKIA ONT and it gets the public DHCP address.

Two things-

1. Juniper SRX 340 DHCP has a TTL value of 1, so the DHCP packets were dying at NOKIA ONT and never going to Rogers DHCP server. Had to change the TTL to 10.

2. Looks like either Nokia ONT or Rogers DHCP is recording the MAC address of Juniper Interface, It will assign the DHCP address for once for certain time period when the first connection is made, but lets say I reboot the Juniper SRX340 the same interface will not get the IP address. So I will have to switch the ports connected to Nokia ONT every time the SRX is rebooted.

Topic Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 in conversation