cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Certain Devices No Longer Connecting to WiFi or Very Sluggish Internet Connection

NadiJ
I've been here awhile

Over the last week or so our household has been dealing with extremely sluggish internet performance or no ability to connect to the internet via WiFi.  We have a Hitron CODA-4582U modem and live in Etobicoke and before this had no problems at all with WiFi.  Our personal laptops (running Windows 11) now have extremely sluggish connections to the internet via WiFi.  (Fortunately connecting via Ethernet cables works fine.)  Our Samsung Smart TVs now no longer connect to the WiFi at all.  However, a work laptop (on Windows 10), a Samsung tablet and our cell phones all connect to the WiFi without any issues.  Why are some of our devices no longer connecting properly all of a sudden?

*Added Labels*

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Certain Devices No Longer Connecting to WiFi or Very Sluggish Internet Connection

RogersMoin

Hello, @NadiJ.

Thank you for your post, and welcome to our Community!

WiFi degradation can certainly be bothersome. I appreciate the details provided in your post. It can be a little tricky to diagnose when the issue persists on some, but not on all the devices. Have you tried any troubleshooting so far?

We’d need a bit more info to sort out this concern. Can you please answer the following:

• Have you changed the network name or password just before you noticed poor performance?
  • Win 11 laptops, were these upgraded from Win 10? Do they have updated network drivers?
  • The affected devices, are they connecting to the 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz network?
  • Was the modem relocated recently? 

We await your response.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Re: Certain Devices No Longer Connecting to WiFi or Very Sluggish Internet Connection

NadiJ
I've been here awhile

Hello, thanks for your reply.  Re your questions:

(1) No, we did not change our network name or password before the issue started (however I changed our modem password this past weekend as I reset the modem in an attempt to troubleshoot this issue). 

(2) Yes, our Win 11 laptops were upgraded from Windows 10 and, just prior to the issues, we had three updates (list below), which made me suspect that this might be a Windows problem:

> 2022-03 KB4023057 Update for Windows 11 for x64-based Systems (March 10, 2022)

> 2022-03 KB5011493 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 for x64-based Systems (March 10, 2022)

> 2022-02 KB5010474 Cumulative Update Preview for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 11 (March 13, 2022)

I note that today I had two new updates and I updated them but it does not appear to have solved our problem re WiFi sluggishness on our W11 laptops:

>> 2022-03 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 for x64-based Systems (KB5011563) (March 31, 2022)

>> 2022-03 .NET 5.0.15 Security Update for x64 Client (KB5012416) (March 31, 2022)

I believe I have all the updated drivers.  I ran a number of system troubleshooters available on my laptop when I was trying to figure out this issue.  However, I am not a super tech person.

(3) We have 2.4G connection, but not much of a 5G connection lately, from what I can see.  I don't know if this is a neighbourhood problem (Etobicoke, ON M9R).

(4) Our modem has not been moved from its current location.

What is interesting is that our Samsung smart tvs no longer can connect either via WiFi.  So this may not be only a Windows 11 problem.

Thanks for your assistance.

Hi @NadiJ

Thank you for the updated information! 

We do apologize to hear you have lost connection on the TV as well. We may need to take a closer look at the modem and your connection. Please send us a private message at @CommunityHelps. You can find details about our private messaging in this blog

Regards,

RogersJermaine

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 in conversation