cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't connect Wired PC to Wireless devices such as Chromecast and Sonos

danyelkemp
I've been around

I want to be able to stream to a Chromecast/Sonos from a PC, but it doesn't seem to be working as the PC is using wired internet and the Chromecast/Sonos use WiFi. While looking for a solution but it seems like my current router (Hitron CODA-4582 provided by Rogers) doesn't have the option to allow wired and wireless devices to communicate with each other.

So first I'd like to confirm whether or not there is an option with the Hitron CODA-4582 to allow wired and wireless devices to communicate and not be separate.

I do have USB WiFi adapters I could use with the PC, but I'd ideally like to keep using wired internet on the PC. I also don’t want to have to use wired internet for each Sonos/Chromecast because I still want to be able to access them from wireless devices (such as a phone).

If allowing wired and wireless devices to communicate isn't possible on my current router, would using a different router be my best option? (likely in Bridge mode with my current modem/router)

Also, I happen to have the following hardware which I'm wondering if I can use:

-Sagemcom Fast 5250 Home Hub 2000 (from Bell)
-Google NLS-1304-25 WiFi System (only have 1 unit)
-TP-Link TL-WA801ND v3 Wireless N Access Point
-D-Link DIR-601B1 Router

Would be great if I could use one or more of the things I already own to come to a solution, but I would appreciate any help anyone can offer. Thanks 🙂

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Can't connect Wired PC to Wireless devices such as Chromecast and Sonos

RogersTony

Hello, @danyelkemp

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

I can understand how convenient it would be to have your wired and wireless devices communicate with each other on the same network.

There does not appear to be an option on the CODA modem to accomplish this. The devices would have to connect to Wi-Fi for them to be able to communicate with each other. This type of functionality may be possible using third party equipment.

If there is anyone in the community who is familiar with this type of setup please feel free to chime in. 

RogersTony

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As far as I know, when I was a Rogers Internet customer, I had the Hitron modem and was able to cast regardless if my connection is wireless or not.  It should not matter if one computer is wired and the chromecast is wireless as they all connect together thru the gateway. 

The one thing i would check if you have some security software or anti-virus software that could be potentially blocking it you might want to temporarily disable it and see if it helps

sswilson
I'm a reliable contributor

If this is a windows 10/11 PC check your PC's network settings to see whether it's listed as a public or private connection. I believe windows defaults to public and needs to be switched to private for the PC to be "discoverable" on the network which would be required for something to be able to cast/connect to it over your internal network.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

yes most likely a WINDOWS 10 or 11 setting and NOT a rogers wifi limitation

Topic Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 4 in conversation