cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Download Pics or Videos on WiFi

sann28
I've been here awhile

Just switched over to Rogers internet at home yesterday and now I cannot download any pictures or videos through wifi on WhatsApp

*Edited Title & Labels*

135 REPLIES 135

Re: Can't Download Pics or Videos on WiFi

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Datalink wrote:

This is a two part failure;  part 1:  the CMTS IPV6 configuration is messed up.  part 2.  Anroid OS or the apps have problem whereby they don't fail-over to IPV4 when the IPV6 data hangs up.  This has been around for at least two to three years, probably longer.  

Just wanted to say that I agree.  For me, IPv6 breakage doesn't seem to happen very often but when it does, it effects my Ignite TV service.  The Xi6 set-top boxes assume that IPv6 is always working and don't implement a Fast Fallback to IPv4.  When IPv6 connectivity breaks and connection attempts over IPv6 fail, it takes a few seconds for the Xi6 set-top boxes to establish a new stream over IPv4 when I change channels.  On my OpenWrt router, I normally see mostly IPv6 connections; it's strange to see nothing but IPv4 connections in the Connections log.

The problem gets fixed immediately when I restart my router's WAN6 interface.  (If I am using my XB6 in gateway mode (i.e Bridge Mode disabled) I have to reboot the XB6 to fix the problem.)

I'm not sure what's broken in the CMTS router but it appears to be at fault.  I haven't done much troubleshooting because, again, it doesn't happen very often.  In one instance, my IPv6 prefix delegation changed when I restarted the interface; it wasn't a problem of the PD change not propagating internally.  Another time, the PD did not change but again, IPv6 connectivity started working again immediately after restarting the WAN6 interface... so did the CMTS router "forget" that I had been delegated this IPv6 prefix and stopped routing packets to me?

I also wonder if this problem is caused by maintenance related to the "secret work" that we have been guessing about in the other thread.

Mohamad_Zain
I've been around
Hi, even I am facing the same since issue since couple of weeks now. Is there any solution to this?

Did you find a solution already?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@AndreyF wrote:
Did you find a solution already?

Are you asking me??  I need IPv6 so I can't implement any workarounds.  I currently have "bridge mode" enabled on my XB6 gateway and am using a router running OpenWrt; a totally unsupported configuration (from a Rogers perspective) for Ignite TV.  Most of the time, things work fine for me.  When I notice problems changing channels on Ignite TV or network connections falling back to IPv4, I reset the IPv6 WAN connection on my router and things go back to normal again.  It's a 10-second fix that I don't need to do very often.  (Sometimes I may also need to disconnect a device from the network and reconnect.)

@test1234d  - Thanks, this was pretty useful. In my case, I have a S10+ so I'm able to change the DNS server directly via the connection settings. You can follow this guide to find the setting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FR0BBd7E9M and set the hostname to dns.google

Hello RogerMoin,

Can we mark this as resolved?

Hello, Community. 

We have received the good news that the WhatsApp pics/vids download issue has been fixed. Would you all please give it a try and confirm?

You may have to reboot the modem and or your phone. 

Thank you all for your patience!

Cheers,
RogersMoin

Yes confirmed. I no longer have issues today and I asked someone else to confirm. This is great
What was the solution?

dlg187
I've been here awhile
Also confirming that with IPv6 back on, I'm no longer seeing issues

Confirmed: turned IPv6 back on and I am not having the download issues anymore. Thanks!

carisma
I've been here awhile

I'm having the same issue for 2 of my samsung phones s10 and s8 , especially videos. tried to reset the modem and network setting on phone is the same thing. never had this issue when i was with Bell

carisma
I've been here awhile
how to turn it on?

Hi @carisma!

Welcome to our Community!

If you're experiencing this issue, you've come to the right place. We can submit an escalation to have this particular issue looked into further.

Please PM us @CommunityHelps at your earliest convenience for further support. If you're not familiar with our PMing process, you can find instructions here.

Regards,

RogersCorey

ppc_zouz
I've been here awhile

Yup, 2 days now and it's working well. Not a single hiccup since.

Hello. This is has re-occurred. 2 of our Android phones are experiencing this issue in whatsapp. Where as the 2 iPhone's are not. Only way we get it to work is toggle Wi-Fi off and on. We have re-booted the modem and phone a couple of times earlier today. We did have an outage earlier this week not sure it has anything to do with that. The solution back in March was not posted other than issue was fixed by Rogers. Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

YOUSUF786
I've been here awhile
Yes i am too

mandi40
I've been here awhile
Yes the problem has started happening for all of our Android phones as well

@karim_walji wrote:
The solution back in March was not posted other than issue was fixed by Rogers. Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

This issue has been reported in other threads as well and, if I remember correctly, the fix was to disable "Protected Browsing" in the Ignite WiFi Hub.

Yes I am also seeing this issue occur I have the ignite XB6 modem and won't download pics/vids from whatsapp. 

Thanks for the reply. I don't have protected browsing feature turned on.

Yes same issue for me as well from yesterday and toggling Wi-Fi fixes it temporarily

Running on Andriod phone and Ignite Internet

protected browsing is not enabled on modem setting either...