cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Download Pics or Videos on WiFi

sann28
I've been here awhile

Just switched over to Rogers internet at home yesterday and now I cannot download any pictures or videos through wifi on WhatsApp

*Edited Title & Labels*

135 REPLIES 135

Re: Can't Download Pics or Videos on WiFi

chancheukyeen
I've been here awhile

Same issue as all others. 

Android 9.0 on Samsung GS8 and 

Android 9.0 on Motorola One Action

After clearing uninstalling WhatsApp on both phones, only the GS8 was able to download photos/media without issue. 

After switching the CODA4582 (white) modem to IPV4 - Both phones were able to download photos/media without issue. 

Speed has been cut by half since the switch (Ookla test 31 MBPS vs 59 MBPS)

Is there a fix coming or not? 

Been Having the same issue. Been monitoring this thread daily. Anyone have any update from Rogers directly?

olo
I've been here awhile
As another user suggested, when I'm on airpline mode and enable wifi it works. Any idea why?

mikeyttttttt
I've been around

I'm also having this issue with a Samsung S10e with Whatsapp only.  I found that on Thursday the 19th the issue cleared up for about 24 hours but then it started again.  I really hope Rogers can figure this out because I really shouldn't have to go into my modem/router settings and alter things I don't fully understand to get images to load on the most popular chat app in the world.

It's embarrassing how things like this continually happen on Rogers.

Same issue. 2 android phones. 1 is a note 8 the other is a one+. Cant download pics off of whatsapp. Works intermittently. Please advise of fix once available.

Re2: Can't Download Pics or Videos on WiFi

chancheukyeen
I've been here awhile
So I couldn't handle the slow speed so sadly put it back to ipv6, Dual Mode. Good news, the Motorola One Action works again.
Bad news, the Samsung GS8 doesn't.

Re: Re2: Can't Download Pics or Videos on WiFi

the whatsapp issue is not just affecting rogers it also affects other cell providers too fyi.,

Fidris
I've been around

I have switched to Ignite and now I can't download pics/videos on wifi. No problem on LTE or other wifi

Azifikare
I've been around
Same issue here having recently switched to ignite.
Please post clear instructions. Thanks!

dlg187
I've been here awhile
I've had this issue for a few weeks, chased a few things, the timing almost lined up with when I changed my Google WiFi setup to a nest WiFi setup. I turned off ipv6 in the Google WiFi app and things have been working for the past few hours.
Coda modem, but in bridge mode

thisistemp123
I've been here awhile

Ok So guys, i think i figured it out (atleast on my end). it was the Router Mode that was causing issues for me. Be default it was set to Dual. I changed it to only ipv4 and everything seemed to work fine. It has only been a few hours so far, but so far so good.

Will keep everyone updated.

So just fyi   Basic -> Gateway Function -> Router Mode -> ipv4

Ok, so, if it worked before, without any monkeying around, it should work now.  

Out of curiosity can you log into your modem and check the Software (firmware) version shown on the STATUS page that is displayed when you do log into the modem.  Its either 2.0.10.36T6, or, 7.1.1.30.  

I know for a fact that 7.1.1.30 works for IPV6 these days.  Its been a while since I tested IPV6 with 2.0.10.36Tx, but it did work. 

I've said this before and I'll say it again, this points to an IPV6 configuration failure at the CMTS which only the network engineers can fix.  They can't do that unless someone, such as the moderators forward the necessary ticket to the engineering staff, identifying the affected CMTS's.  Until that happens, everyone who has this problem will be spinning their wheels unnecessarily.  

This is a two part failure;  part 1:  the CMTS IPV6 configuration is messed up.  part 2.  Anroid OS or the apps have problem whereby they don't fail-over to IPV4 when the IPV6 data hangs up.  This has been around for at least two to three years, probably longer.  

dlg187
I've been here awhile

On my Coda I've got Software version:  2.0.10.36T6

And I can confirm I've had no issues since turning off ipv6 (a day or so now) on the Nest Wifi (Coda is in Bridge mode).

I can turn it back on and test if you think thats worth trying?

armindilo
I've been around

I've got this issue. What's the chance Rogers is going to fix this? And how long should I wait?

jjcjw
I've been around

I have just switched to Rogers a week ago from Bell. Since then, my WhatsApp cannot download pics and videos from my Android phones, but iPhone is ok.

There are so many complains so far and Rogers still don't have any solution. 

I did this and it worked, going to try all my devices for the next 24 hours and report back.

What should the firewall settings be set to? I have it set to custom as per post #6 (I think) but I really don't understand what I am doing with that feature. Switching it to Typical for now.

Do I need to be worried about anything with having turned IPv6 off completely?

I just ran a speed test on my 5Ghz Wifi devices and I am clocking in at twice the speed as usual, around 250Mbps download. 😳

axelbest
I plan to stick around

One more with same problem. My wife just use all LTE data after turn off to download pics on whatsapp and forgot to turn on again.

I have Ignite modem, how to disable IPV6 on that model?

BY THE WAY, change the White modem to the black Ignite is a DOWNGRADE.

jz
I've been here awhile
This is most likely the issue and a Rogers engineer needs to look into it.

Reporting back:

So after disabling IPv6 on my modem, all of my devices: 2 samsung phones, 2 laptops, 1 PC, 1 iPad and 1 PS4 are all registering blazing fast speeds (150-250 mbps over 10 tests conducted at different times in the day and night) and no problems with media downloads to WhatsApp or anything else.

My question: are there any major repercussions to having IPv6 off completely to bypass this main topic issue?

I was complaining to my friends about this main topic issue before and they all want to switch their IPv6 off as well but I said that they should do that with caution as I don't know if that would impede on their network security in any way.

joelmine
I've been here awhile

yes IPV4 is less secured than IPV6. Also when i disabled IPv6 on my router everything worked well except my office VPN. I work for one of the biggest banks here and i could not use my work laptop. It connected but it kept disconnecting and reconnecting. When i turned IPv6 back on it was fine. I have read other forums where there are issues with IOT devices when IPv6 is turned off. 

test1234d
I'm here a lot
I couldn't turn off ipv6. My grey modem doesn't have that option. Then I decided to find a way to change my host file but my phone is not rooted so couldn't do that. Started looking into the app store. Found an application called Hosts Go. I turned it on and it shows up as a VPN running in the background. This one did the trick. All I did was enable DNS which already has Google's DNS server pre-configures.
Now when I am home, I turn it on and whatsapp is working like a charm. Of course instagram and Facebook now doesn't load everything. So I have to switch it off.
I don't think this issue is a Rogers issue. I beleive it is whatsapp and android implementation. I started looking at other apps and sure enough, the developers had to implement other solutions cause this problem existed in previous android implementations.
Anyways, for the time being this is working. Get Hosts Go, turn DNS on and start the app.
If anyone else have a better app then please let me know.