cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bridge Mode - WAN Detection Issue - CODA 4582/ASUS

jjunge
I plan to stick around

Hey All,

I tried to Bridge to connect my new ASUS Router and it will not detect WAN from the modem. I have tried multiple ports on the modem and even when I do manual setup the web UI and the ASUS lights themselves report no WAN from the modem.

I know this type of thing was a problem early on with the REV 1 CODA (I had this very issue with a D-Link back then) but thought it was resolved. 

Any ideas?

*Edited Labels*

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Bridge Mode - WAN Detection Issue - CODA 4582/ASUS

RogersMoin

Hello, @jjunge

Thank you for posting your observation. I believe @gp-se@Gdkitty, @VivienM and others are running the CODA4582U modem in bridge mode and they all got a new IP address. What's the model of your ASUS router?

I'm not sure if it helps, however, if you can try the following;

- Go to Basic Settings/Port Forwarding > Disabled/Save then Enabled/Save

- Advanced/Switch Setup > Switch All Off/ Save then Just Switch only one ON/Save

- Basic/Gateway Function > Disable Gateway function/Save

- Once the modem is online, plug in the ASUS router to the port which is enabled and reboot

Let us know if your router gets the IP address.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

RogersMoin

Hello, @jjunge

Thank you for posting your observation. I believe @gp-se@Gdkitty, @VivienM and others are running the CODA4582U modem in bridge mode and they all got a new IP address. What's the model of your ASUS router?

I'm not sure if it helps, however, if you can try the following;

- Go to Basic Settings/Port Forwarding > Disabled/Save then Enabled/Save

- Advanced/Switch Setup > Switch All Off/ Save then Just Switch only one ON/Save

- Basic/Gateway Function > Disable Gateway function/Save

- Once the modem is online, plug in the ASUS router to the port which is enabled and reboot

Let us know if your router gets the IP address.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

jjunge
I plan to stick around

RogersMoin - I'm happy to say that this appears to have fixed the problem! Thank you!!!!

mrbrimi
I plan to stick around

Currently have CODA-4582 in Gateway Mode, wireless turned off with Asus RT-68U & Asus RT-66U both in Access Mode. Everything working fine.

Is there a disadvantage to into going for Bridge Mode using RT-68U as router leaving RT-66U in Access Mode?

The reason I ask - Asus new firmware introduces AIMesh, so can create a Mesh system BUT but requires Router Mode.

So the question I guess is do I give up any performance using the Asus RT-68U as a router?

Breadwinka
I plan to stick around

You should actually gain performance, as the routing capabilities on the RT68U is better then the 4582. You will notice better TCP request http://www.dslreports.com/tools/puma6 i went from lots of red to none on my Netgear x4s and more than likely better QoS as well.

Blaq
I plan to stick around

My current router is an ASUS RT-AC66U. I just bought a new RT-AC86U and can't get it to connect to the Rogers modem.

• The Rogers modem is a CODA-4582U and is set to bridge mode.
  • When I unplug the 66's WAN cable and plug it into the 86's WAN port, I get a red light on the front panel Internet light.
  • This happens regardless in what order I power-cycle the router and modem, waiting for the modem lights to settle before turning on the router.

Is the modem throwing a fit because the new router has a different MAC address?

Hello, @Blaq.

Thank you for posting your concern in the Community and congratulations on your router upgrade.😃

I appreciate your providing the steps done so far; it's puzzling that RT-AC86U is not getting the IP address. 

Let's try the following: 

• Make sure there is only one ethernet connection to the modem while it's in the bridge mode. 
  • While the modem in bridge mode, can you plug in a computer/laptop to check if it acquires the IP address? If no, factory reset the modem. 
  • If yes, factory reset the router and see if this helps. 

Please keep us posted. 

Cheers,
RogersMoin

@Blaq have you managed to resolve the issue with the 86U?  Fwiw, I'm using the same router at the present time.  I plan to swap that out for an AX86U fairly soon.  

If you haven't managed to resolve this, reconnect the 66U to the modem to get your network running as it usually is, and then connect the 86Us WAN port to one of the 66Us LAN ports.  Daisy chain the routers.  That should allow you to determine if the 86U is serviceable.  I'm wondering if the WAN port on the 86U is actually working.  Log into the 86U, keeping in mind the Asus default log in address for new routers, 192.168.150.1, or is it 192.168.50.1?  If you connect a pc to the 86U, wait for the pc to obtain an IP address from the 86U and then start a web browser, the web browser page should automatically show the 86U's router set up page.  You should be able to go thru the initial set up and get to the user interface which should show the 86U's WAN IP address.  That will be one of the 66U's available IP address, but, at this point it would confirm that the 86U's WAN port is functioning.  

If this is successful so far, I would simply go ahead and compete the set up for the 86U.  When everything is said and done, simply disconnect the 86U from the 66U and connect it to one of the modem's LAN ports.  Keep the 66U connected to the modem.  Reboot/restart the 86U.  After the reboot/restart, see if the 86U has an external WAN IP address. 

If not:

1.  Keep both routers up and running, and restart the modem.  Pull the power, wait for 10 to 15 seconds and plug it back in.  After the modem restart, check to see if the 86U had an external WAN IP address.  If yes, success, you now have two routers up and running, providing their own independent networks.  

2.  If not, disconnect the 66U, keep the 86U connected and running and restart the modem once again.  After the modem restart the 86U should have an external WAN IP address.  At this point, you should be able to simply connect the 66U again and it should pick up its own external WAN IP address.  If that doesn't work, restart the modem once again.  This time around, both routers should have their own external WAN IP address.  

Food for thought .....  Asus appears to be on the path to causing major heating issues with this router.  If you're not aware of what Asus is up to, their on the second or third major update/rewrite of the firmware for their modems.  That's over the last 5 or 6 years.  This time around, Asus is including their own concept for mesh networks, in this case AiMesh.  It appears that this latest version of the firmware rewrite is causing the 86U to run hot, in some cases causing one of the CPUs to shut down due to thermal protection measures.  Here's the two threads from the Small Net Builders forums, the first being for stock Asus firmware, the second for Merlin's version, which is built off of the stock firmware:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ac86u-overheats-with-fw-386.70296/

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/router-temperatures.71123/

I don't know what version the newer 86Us arrive with.  It might be 386.xxx or the previous version.  In any event, there's no choice but to update the firmware due to recent security concerns which affect just about every router on the market these days.  So, with that firmware loaded, you can expect to see higher CPU and wireless temps.  Yes, you can run at higher temps, but, as they say, just because you can, it doesn't mean that you should.  Over the long haul that will probably shorten the lifespan of the 86U.  

So, if you just bought the 86U, you might want to consider returning it, to purchase another model.  Take a look at those threads and have a look at the your 86U temps to come to a conclusion one way or the other, keep it or return it.  As much as I like my AC86U, I'll be swapping it out fairly soon for an AX86U, relegating the AC86U to secondary uses where it can run with a reduced work load and hopefully lower temps. 

WestPoint
I plan to stick around

so, i was reading thru some of the threads here online... and came across a piece of information i need confirmed please....

the Coda 4582 Gateway... when its placed in Bridge Mode....

it supposedly allows for 2 separate routers to be connected, and each receive their own separate WAN IP addresses from Rogers, effectively having 2 completely separated networks, thru 1 modem.

first is this true?

second, to clarify, does this feature mean the Coda 4582 has LACP-IEEE 802.3ad support, in Bridge Mode?

Topic Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 7 in conversation