cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ads showing up as e-mails in Rogers Yahoo Mail that can't be deleted.

hollisterm
I've been here awhile

Suddenly today an ad about cars is coming into my Inbox and there is no way to delete it.
We pay over $200 to be with Rogers, why do you use Yahoo (yuk) and why do you let Yahoo do as they please making money posting ads at the side bar and NOW actually inside my Inbox.

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Ads showing up as e-mails in Rogers Yahoo Mail that can't be deleted.

fredbloggs
I plan to stick around

My ads have gone, looks like its fixed!! I suspect Yahoo was trying it on.

Markham Mike

View solution in original post

53 REPLIES 53

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@hollisterm wrote:

1. Suddenly today an ad about cars is coming into my Inbox and there is no way to delete it.
2. We pay over $200 to be with Rogers.

1. If you keep one e-mail in your in-box, you won't see any ads there.  

2. Not one cent of your $200 goes towards Rogers/Yahoo! e-mail.  It is paid for by ads.

Rogers provides (provided) e-mail for its (Internet) customers as a courtesy, however, that may come to an end based on reading between the lines of the following FAQ:

https://www.rogers.com/support/internet/rogers-yahoo-mail-change-faq

Edit: Item 1 was correct when we were discussing actual ads that appeared in the inbox. This new thread is discussing a different issue - ads that appear as emails, and they cannot be avoided by keeping an email in the inbox. I expanded on the discussion in my next post, a few posts down:

MiataMan2002
I've been here awhile

I am also getting an auto ad in my inbox which I cannot delete. I did no understand the reply/explanation that was given by '57' to the previous post.

327vette
I've been here awhile

Starting today I log into my e-mail and there's ads showing up as e-mails.

There's no box that can be checked to delete the e-mail.

When did this nonsense start?

327vette
I've been here awhile

I just posted the same thing before I saw your post.

This goes beyond annoying. No I'm not looking for a soulmate and I don't need gutter guards.

I can put up with ads in the sidebar but this is just plain stupid.

Looks like I'll be switching if this keeps up.

327vette
I've been here awhile

I've got lots of e-mails in my in box and the ads keep on coming mixed in to look like e-mails.

Asian dating sites etc. etc. etc.

I can accept ads in the sidebar but this new thing is just plain annoying.

hollisterm
I've been here awhile
1. This is incorrect
2. We’ve been a rogers customer for decades and this was the perk of the internet package back in the day when your commit to an internet pack that we PAY for. Therefore it does pertain to our account. If we cancel rogers we lose the email accounts.

I understand that off loading does happen which is why rogers switched to utilizing yahoo.

DrMike
I'm a trusted contributor

Add me to the list of annoyed customers.

Interesting FAQ you pointed to @57 . This is the first I ever recall hearing about that. April was over 3 months ago and I, for one, do not recall ever being informed of this cancellation in advance? Was I sleeping or was anyone actually notified of this impending change before it happened?

LesleyRose1
I've been here awhile

Same here.  The ad only goes away when you delete all emails from the page, at least that's all that has worked for me.  Not impressed.

DrMike
I'm a trusted contributor

OK, so now I see more clearly what's going on. At the same time I am seeing these ads right in my inbox, I also noticed in Yahoo Mail in the top right corner a big SUBSCRIBE button for Yahoo Mail Plus, which cost $6.49 per month (really????)  and is, wait for it.....AD FREE. 

So that's how this is going to go. Make you so annoyed that you either 1) leave the platform altogether or 2) pony up more $$ to get rid of the ads they just pushed on you all of a sudden.

I know which way I will go.....

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@DrMike wrote:  Interesting FAQ you pointed to @57 . This is the first I ever recall hearing about that. April was over 3 months ago and I, for one, do not recall ever being informed of this cancellation in advance? Was I sleeping or was anyone actually notified of this impending change before it happened?

1. I do not recall any advance warning.

2. I believe what prompted the FAQ was/were:

a) There was the issue with the App Password Generator no longer working since March 2023, causing a huge number of complaints and probably a strain on Rogers CSRs.

b) Since Rogers doesn't make any money on e-mails (despite what some people may think), they have decided to be less "supportive" and will eventually not even support/allow existing Rogers e-mail customers - this may take years, but that's where I believe they're headed.

3. I checked my Webmail earlier today when this (ad issue) was reported and didn't see anything untoward at the time, however, I have just logged in again and now see what people are complaining about.  Ads that appear as e-mails and for me they're not just in the inbox, but in all my folders.

4. I normally use Outlook e-mail client on my computer (or "Mail" on my devices), so the ads, so far, don't get through to these clients/apps.

5. I do use Webmail when travelling and occasionally when at home to check my spam folder for "real" e-mails, which I rarely find there...luckily.  

6. If Rogers/Yahoo! continues harassing me in this manner, I will move to Gmail, which is probably what they want.  You can set up Gmail to "fetch" your Rogers e-mails in the settings if desired, or simply migrate your email address(es) there and advise your various contacts/corporations, etc.

mhanhams
I've been around

Stop using yahoo for mail. Setup outlook mail.

RichardF
I plan to stick around

This may be the last straw.  Its one thing to put ads at the side of the screen (annoying as that is) but to put them in the inbox and in a way they cant be deleted is appalling.  Outlook used to be my alternative but Rogers messed up the authentication facility so I cant use that any more.  Im paying enough as it is, since we moved away our TV and internet is with another company but I have to pay $40 odd a month for "internet" that I dont actually use in order to keep the email address.  And now this.  Its no wonder people hate Rogers so much.

The government should regulate these companies to prevent them from holding email addresses hostage; then there would be proper competition. 

skw
I've been here awhile

Added Rogers account to Outlook. No ads!

382WSA
I've been around

How do I eliminate these irritating adds that appear in my inbox and sent box etc.

Please tell me who thought this would be a good idea.

I know my email isn't private but having a stranger appear at the top every time I check is an invasion of my rogers space.

How to resolve this?

382 WSA

LesleyRose1
I've been here awhile

By add do you mean have Rogers emails forwarded to Outlook?  How do you set this up?

dovienya
I've been here awhile

Completely agree!  I use rogers yahoo as my work email for my small business.  Doesn't look great to have ads for gambling sites flashing at the top of the screen.  And I'm not paying Rogers even more for ad-free service.  If they want to get out of the email business, then get out already and stop just making it difficult for customers.  

We were looking to switch from Rogers for our Ignite package anyway, which constantly goes down in our area, but didn't because I wanted to keep the email address.  However, now it looks like it will be worth the pain and effort of moving everything to a new email.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Everybody should know this. People who use the standalone Yahoo! email, (NOT Rogers Yahoo!  Customers) when they log into their web mail, they have been seeing those Ads for YEARS.  This is nothing new to someone who has regularly used a standalone Yahoo! Mail service.  but for Rogers Yahoo! email customers, it is probably most certainly new for many of you.  I am just letting you know there is nothing to worry about and nothing you can do about this. You just have to learn to ignore it. or live with it.  Word around the street is Rogers will eventually stop offering Email accounts to new internet customers anyways.  Most people prefer NOT to use an email tied to their ISP.

Vince16
I've been around
Yahoo is doing an update to block the ads for Rogers', customers. Soon the issue will be rectified. Juky 23, 2024. 9:17 am.

ottawaborn
I've been here awhile

HOW DO L GET RID OF THESE ADS ON EMAILS. VERY ANNOYING!!!!!!!

Blanche1
I've been around

The same thing happened to me with an ad for Grammerly and its products. What also popped  up was a notice from Rogers that, for $6.49/month, I can upgrade to a service that will prevent these ads from appearing. Like everyone else on this thread, I already pay Rogers quite a bit. Why should I have to pay more for this? It's disgusting.

Topic Stats