cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

constant issues for aproximitely 3 years now

notoriousbig313
I've been here awhile

To Whom It May Concern,

My family lives in a fourplex and we have been with rogers for decades. Since i moved back to London about 3 years ago in the same fourplex I have noticed constant inconsistency with speed and latency like i have a 1.5gb downstream and 50mb upstream ignite package and somedays ill run speed ill only get like 300mb others ill run it and ill have up to 4.7gb. even my upload speed struggles to reach half quite a bit of the time which is a huge issue when streaming as for example i you want to stream on youtube 1080p you need 12mb of upload and if your a multistreamer like myself with twitch as well requiring another 6mb upload so i need a total of 18mb just to stream to only those 2 services. my latency is the real issue though i have had it as low as 19ms which i was quite content with but i would get spikes all the time ranging from a couple hundred to the highest recently was 4.5 seconds, yeah 4500ms, it used to happen intermittently which was annoying but bearable recently i have had a constant upstream spike and intermittent downstream and unload spike. I have had multiple technicians come out testing lines, replacing our modems to the new xb8 i believe (the newest all white one with the bright white light at the top), have even had technicians put maintenance orders in for the neighborhood. I believe this may be due to having serious congestion as it seems to mainly affect the upload speed. i have been in touch with the office of the president, whom put in a supposed rushed work order to try and fix the issue. I then had an idea of well if they are doing soo much work trying to fix an issue that still isn't resolved over the course of 3 years, why do they not upgrade my neighborhoods network so it is able to use fiber to the home at the same time, so i called in and asked they said that their is no plans for upgrading the infrastructure in the neighborhood they will call when they are ready too. Hybrid fiber cable (hfc) is supposably what the ignite network runs off of no? so it is suppose to be fiber to the node and coax cables to the home. Where the person responded no its actually a copper cable to the node. To my understanding ignite is suppose to be using fiber powered technology so why is it such a pain to upgrade the infrastructure when it is clearly needed and half the infrastructure is supposed to be there. specially in the age of technology where symmetrical speed is more needed by folks like myself. I get that the cost of maintaining fiber is more and it is not cheap to upgrade infrastructure, but like i know this is an issue affecting the neighborhood m2 london ontario. As i mentioned earlier i live in a fourplex Myself and my father have rogers accounts and i can test it on either one and get the same results. Tbh im 90% sure the issue is from somewhere before our node though as even my cellphones upstream lattency is terrible which should have nothing to do with the node or my neighborhoods network, but the nearest tower. also when i called asking about the fiber to the home I was told it could possible take up to October to fix the issue and it is late July right now so 3 months to fix an issue as I am still being billed for a service I am receiving but is soo unstable that i cant stream which is what I am trying to do to make a living let alone how it inconveniences my personal life as a gamer with rubber banding and such, i lag in voice calls, even my Youtube is experiencing a lot of buffer time from the lag. The service is there, but extremely poor when we pay for almost the top package available in the area the only step up is the 2.5gb ignite, when we should be getting fiber. Even speaking to the office of the president they had said they are looking at my notes and called my dads phone instead of my cell phone as the notes on the file say to call my cell phone, so in other words lied right to my face as they clearly didn't read the notes. They did this the first time I got the office of the president involved years ago where they claim to have attempted to get ahold of you 3 times so the close the issue claiming it was resolved when it wasn't. I even at one point was compensated and told the issue is fixed when it clearly wasn't as not even a week late back to intermittent problems. i got soo fed up with calling and fighting with rogers to fix the issue where i just dealt with the intermittent nonsense rather then continue to call and harass them to fix an issue they should be on top of. I am far from some sort of networking guru but i am not a stupid person and have done alot of research on this and the only reason to why i can see the constant inconsistencies with speed and latency is an over saturated data link that is before the node. as with docsis its like an 80%/20% downstream/upstream link speed and the network in place isnt handling the areas demand. Maybe I am wrong, but i would like clear concise answers to what's actually causing this issue? why this hasn't been resolved yet, i get things take time but 3 years...? why there is copper cable to the node not fiber like ignite is suppose to get? If that rogers phone person was wrong why are they telling me wrong information? why this neighborhoods network is essentially being neglected by only putting band aid solutions on whatever is causing the issue? there is even a bell building on the corner i could throw a stone and hit and even bell can only offer fibe 100 in the area as their infrastructure is no better. like is there not government grants in place meant to be used to upgrade infrastructure in area like mine? i get i live in an older area that is lower income, but do the ghetto people not deserve good internet too? Quite upset about this as this affects my business and personal life, my fathers personal life, my brothers personal life, and all the other people in the m2 area. Here is proof of what is happening the win mtr was run over night so like a 10 hour span so the average isn't the best example but you can see its bad latency each hop when it spikes as the lowest overnight spike was 918ms across all the hops which points towards a network issue and i have had multiple technicians even tell me it is a network issue, but to what it is i never get an answer. the speed test was run the night before but look how high the jitter is, 166ms unload and 252.9ms upstream loaded, but only 5.6ms downstream. and its not always upstream latency but 80% of the time it is upload latency and i have seen it where the jitter on the unload is low and the upstream is low and the downstream is high and i have seen it where all of them are high. is not an acceptable amount of jitter suppose to be between 30ms and 50 ms and even latency on each hop should never be over 100ms Hoping that reaching out here and bringing a more public approach will help some of these answers  and much needed maintenance come to fruition.

bufferbloat speed test performed on waveform top halfbufferbloat speed test performed on waveform top halfbufferbloat speed test performed on waveform bottom halfbufferbloat speed test performed on waveform bottom halfwin mtr results proving crazy ping redacted ip address with paintwin mtr results proving crazy ping redacted ip address with paint

*** Edited Labels ***

4 REPLIES 4

Re: constant issues for aproximitely 3 years now

RogersJermaine

Hello @notoriousbig313,

Thank you for your post here on the Rogers Community Forums and we do appreciate your feedback. Since your last post we do hope that you have been in contact with someone to review your account details. With the network enhancements that are being made to neighbourhoods, you will receive notification prior to the upgrades being made. Please note, extending fibre directly to our customers’ homes requires coordination of work permits, specialized equipment, and engineering and construction work that will roll out over time to different neighborhoods.

Thank you for your patience. 

RogersJermaine

Hi @RogersJermaine ,

I have been in contact with everyone i can get in contact with from tier 1 and 2 technicians up to the office of the president and tbh i feel like this is quite the hopeless struggle at times. like i said the office of the president said there was suppose to be a rush order on fixing the latency issue and when i called in the next day to ask questions about upgrading to a fiber network, since they are already going to be doing work on the network to solve the issue, i was told they cant see anything on the construction list for fiber to the home and then i was told its not even fiber to the node it is copper to the node when to my understanding ignite is suppose to be fiber powered service which is fiber to the node and coax to the home that the deadline for the issue at hand with latency and inconsistent speeds is to be fixed by October so 3 months away, when its not even upgrading to fiber to the home, to fix an issue thats been happening for years. like you seen from the post ill have latency in the hundreds to thousands of milliseconds depending on how bad the spike is. soo after waiting 3 years Now i can potentially have to wait another 3 months to have a reasonable latency as i am still expected to pay for a service that the quality is not there. That is like me selling you a car that doesn't run and expecting you to be happy paying the bills for it still every month. Despite being lied to from the office of the president sayings its being "rushed" is 3 months sounding like a rush to you? it would be different if it was just upgrading infrastructure for better internet, but honestly 3 months to resolve an issue that has been going on for 3 years and there is all sorts of account notes about me complaining to fix it is kind of crazy , specially when i was told this was fixed years ago, when it clearly wasn't or i wouldnt be having these issues still, or being lied to about how he read my notes when he clearly did not as at the top it said to call my phone not my fathers phone about the issue. that's a delay tactic as i truly do feel like rogers doesn't want to do the work in my area. these latency spikes and inconsistent speed legitimately have been happening for years and the customers are told its being worked on or its fixed when it seems to not be fixed. i bet i have had over 3 dozen technicians come out between my fathers and mine accounts over the 3 years. it even got so bad to a point where i stopped calling and would of rather just dealt with the lag spikes, to which the office of the president tried telling me it was my fault for not continuing to call because i haven't talked to you guys in half a year, rogers should be on top of the network maitnence not waiting for customers to complain, but now the spikes are a lot more consistent, so im a bit more frustrated about the whole situation. honestly i am kind of at the point where if it isn't resolved by the end of the month the next step is the crtc, social media outlets and a lawyer as like i said this is effecting my business and personal life and the lives of my family and neighbors lives its not just like it is my internet this is a London Ontario m2 area issue. like i stated before i am quite confident the issue is even at something before the node itself, as i said even a cellphone not on wifi will have the same inconsistant lattency and speeds issues, and no one can tell me what the issue is or why it hasn't been resolved yet or why i am getting the run around and lied to or why there is no plans to upgrade my neighborhood, specially if we are running copper to the node and not fiber like ignite is suppose to be. I am very disappointed as I have been a customer with rogers for about 16+ years and my father for about 40+ years. 

notoriousbig313
I've been here awhile

todays sppedtest and bufferbloat test and win mtrfast.com as you can see tripple the speed im suppose to get in the dl 3/4 for the upload and 3.5 times over the acceptable pingfast.com as you can see tripple the speed im suppose to get in the dl 3/4 for the upload and 3.5 times over the acceptable pingtop half of the wave form buffer bloat speed testtop half of the wave form buffer bloat speed testbottom half of the wave form buffer bloat speed testbottom half of the wave form buffer bloat speed testwin mtr to youtube.com within 100 packets getting low hundredswin mtr to youtube.com within 100 packets getting low hundreds

notoriousbig313
I've been here awhile

This is what i mean by extremely inconsistent speeds and poor latency issues.... Look at the speeds and latency from the tests earlier today and now. It has literally been like this now for 3+ years, constant complaints till i get fed up with it and give up. like what causes these spikes im assuming is network congestion or faulty equipment. like i said in previous posts we have had our modem replaced lines tested, numerous technicians come out and im being told its a network issue that is being rushed to be completed on one day the the next its the deadline is october. when the issue is well documented in the file, why wasnit it fixed within the first 6 months of it happening 3+ years ago. Like i have said in previous posts i get it is expensive and it takes time to get permits, equipment, and the contractors to lay the lines, is this amount of time really acceptable though for an issue to be dealt with? I have been paying the whole time even when i went threw hard times i still paid my bills for a service i wasn't receiving completely, it was there, but sooo inconsistent and choppy, but i paid for the full service... I am suppose to have 1.5gbs down and 50mbps up, 121.2 down and 22.7 up is not even half the speeds i pay for, let alone it is suppose to be 100+ ms and the issue is suppose to be escalated. like this is what i trully dont understand the issue is there it is known and i just want it fixed, rogers clearly tries to as it usually goes away for a lil bit after i complain about it, but the solution they are using is fixing an old outdatted network. I get there has been alot of breakthoughs with docsis 4 and it is cheaper to use existing infrastructure, but the demands of the community already exceed docsis 3.1with technologies emerging and 4k resolutions bitrate and all the other apps and internet goodies and we are just starting to dabble in the 8k resolution which consumes astronomically more bitrate so what kind of issues will we start having with docsis by the time docsis 4 is implemented to everyone their going to be at the needs of what fiber provide. Why is rogers so dedicated to fixing a broken network with band aid solutions instead of just future proofing and slowly upgrading to a pure fiber network where the consumers needs will not outweigh what the network can provide. not to mention it being more reliable then docsis so yeah it costs more to put it in but you end up actually saving more at the end of the day as how much time is spent dealing with people like myself whom have higher needs then the average yogi bear? i can think of probably close to 100 hours if not more i have spent on the phone or having a tech come out soo at the average of 30 dollars per hour is what 3000 spent of the course of the years dealing with me and when you have hundreds of thousands of people complaining your spending millions dealing with complaints when you could of spent the millions on the issues and preventing them. its things like this that have led to the outragous rise in bills in my oppinion. Sorry for ranting everyone, but i honestly feel like i cant be the only person that feels this way specially considering rogers is a multi billion dollar company, if they really wanted to do better for the people they would consider things like this. Customer service is important don't get me wrong either i am not saying remove customer service but there wouldn't be such a demand for it if the network was better maintained you would just have less of people like me complaining.

waveform buffer bloat speed test top halfwaveform buffer bloat speed test top halfwaveform buffer bloat bottom halfwaveform buffer bloat bottom halfwin mtrwin mtrScreenshot 2024-07-25 205739.png

Topic Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 in conversation