cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XR15 Remote No Longer Controls Soundbar?

robtoe
I'm a reliable contributor

Have paired my ignite remote with a Samsung TV and Yamaha soundbar for a couple of years now.    It has worked perfectly.

Had a defective "arrow" button on that remote, so contacted Rogers for a replacement.    In the meantime I grabbed another XR15 remote from another TV and paired it, but it no longer controls the soundbar.    The wizard gets me to test the volume twice and ultimately indicates something like "can't pair, please try again later".  (What happens later?)

As a sanity check, I re-paired the original, damaged remote, but it no longer controls the soundbar of course.

It almost seems like the code has been removed (?), or the wizard stops after too few tries.   (As above it only seems to try 2 codes.)

Any ideas, or logical explanation?

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: XR15 Remote No Longer Controls Soundbar?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@robtoe : Instead of using the wizard, go to the following link and progamme in the code for the audio device manually. Click setup and get the codes for Yamaha, then follow the setup instructions. You may need to try several codes.  I've also copied the Yamaha codes below, but it may take a few minutes for the mods to approve the screenshot.

https://www.urcsupport.com/urc_product/rogers-xr15/?product-provider=365

Yamaha codesYamaha codes

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@robtoe : Instead of using the wizard, go to the following link and progamme in the code for the audio device manually. Click setup and get the codes for Yamaha, then follow the setup instructions. You may need to try several codes.  I've also copied the Yamaha codes below, but it may take a few minutes for the mods to approve the screenshot.

https://www.urcsupport.com/urc_product/rogers-xr15/?product-provider=365

Yamaha codesYamaha codes

robtoe

Thanks so much @57 - your suggestion allowed me to try several codes, one of which worked!    You are a credit to this forum (and other A/V forums that I've seen you on).

robtoe

For completeness, I contacted Rogers support about this last night, and had a poor experience:   

Tech had me reset the remote (which I had done several times prior) and indicated it was defective after it would not pair with the sound bar, and wanted to ship out a replacement.   I told her that all 3 of my XR-15 remotes are likely not defective so it was probably a code issue.

She then indicated they did not support 3rd party equipment, and wanted to close the case.   I mentioned that since the XR15 worked hours before that it must be capable again.    

She then arranged for a technician to come to my house, which I felt was overkill, but accepted.

If anyone from Rogers Support sees this, I have the full transcript if you'd like to follow up on the quality of this interaction.

Good morning @robtoe!

A tech shouldn't have been necessary in this case since the issue was with third party equipment. Since the issue seems isolated to the soundbar, I would have suggested that we factory reset the soundbar and before we try pairing once more.

It sounds like @57 found you the right codes though. Is the issue fully resolved now?

Regards,

RogersCorey

robtoe

Yep @RogersCorey all is resolved.

I offered up the transcript however because this was a 1hr-44min chat session, where the agent offered me a new remote, and an on-site tech visit.    I agree that neither of these should have been in the equation and are expensive.   I figured it would be valuable to a support centre manager, especially if one of their metrics is avoiding on-site tech visits.

I'm surprised that you don't already have a 3rd party equipment script like this:

"We don't officially support 3rd party equipment, but we know the Ignite wizard sometimes doesn't try all possible codes.   Some of our customers have been successful with manually entering codes from this site [insert @57 's URL here].   I'd recommend giving it a try."

We can absolutely take in your concerns @robtoe  and submit it as a complaint about the service you received that day. The agent in question would receive coaching feedback based on your concerns.

Please feel free to send a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can gather the transcript and your account info. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, you can find out more here.  

Regards,

RogersCorey

Topic Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 3 in conversation