cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent screen freezes and audio dropout

srrv
I've been around

I constantly experience intermittent screen freezes and have the audio drop out, to the point that it is often impossible to simply watch a show or movie.  No amount of reboots or any of the other solutions suggested by Rogers works.  I see that others have been experiencing the same issue.  When you pay so much for a service, it should work reliably.  I have checked the connection and even my Rogers box says the connection is excellent.  And the thought of actually wasting the time that is inevitably lost calling Rogers tech support with no resolution is exasperating.  I will be transferred 5 times, lose a minimum of an hour of my time on the phone with support, have to repeat the problem endlessly, and I will still have the same issue.  It is truly unfortunate to have to be resigned to such terrible service. 

***Edited Labels***

39 REPLIES 39

Re: Intermittent screen freezes and audio dropout

Peete22
I plan to stick around
We don't have any splitters, we run one line into the modem and the tv box is actually hooked up using category 7 cable, we don't even have it hooked up using wifi. Switched out the ethernet cable as well. One connection and when we got ignite in May of this year the techs told me our connection was perfect as our outside line was replaced in the spring. I have spoken to other people in other locations of Ontario and they have the same issues with the same channels and the same programs. Our issue is because of an internal issue with Rogers maybe just in certain areas, they are just unwilling to admit to it, don't know what is the source of the problem or don't know how to fix it.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Peete22 wrote:
The problem is in their network, still having the same issue on CMT channel 38 and a couple other channels. They are either unaware of the issue, can't find the source or don't know how to fix it. They are going to blame your equipment, replace it and connection to your house, replace your line and in the end it won't fix anything. You either learn to live with it or switch services if you have the option. Where I live my only other option is bell.expressvu using technology from the 1990s lol.

For what it's worth, I see the same (very) intermittent problem on CMT, when watching TV at my house and at my parent's house -- the video will basically stop for a second or so, then resume.  It's not due to a "neighbourhood" or a home network problem.  e.g. I recorded an episode of Everybody Loves Raymond, and the glitch reproduces in the same spot, when watched on different set-top boxes.  This confirms that the problem lies either with the source feed or with the equipment in the backend that processes the feed and streams it.

Peete22
I plan to stick around
So would that be a Rogers issue or CMT issue, never did it on legacy cable up to May when we switched to ignite. We watch the old sitcoms on there a lot. I have seen the same glitches on movie channels Hollywood suite and occasionally on 7 city tv Toronto and adult swim channel 82 just not as bad as CMT. If it is either of these issues would it be easy to fix, I have reached out and they say there is no issue? Also CMT hd doesn't do it on bell fibe at my in-laws house

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It's quite likely that the glitches on CMT are an Ignite TV-only issue.  I can also confirm seeing glitches/freezes on the Hollywood Suite channels as well but I think this went away sometime back in July.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Here's the link to my post on the HS70 channel issues.  If you have the restart or OD option on CMT, that may resolve your problems. I do not have that channel:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/Hollywood-Suite-70s-channel-sound-issue/m-p/507875/h...

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@57 wrote:

Here's the link to my post on the HS70 channel issues.  If you have the restart or OD option on CMT, that may resolve your problems. I do not have that channel:

I'll expand on that in a different way:  If you happen to see an audio/video glitch or drop-out and the program is Restart-able, then go to a different set-top box in your home, Restart the program, fast-forward to where the glitch occurred and see if it replicates in the exact same place.  If it does, then it's a problem with the source feed or some other problem that happened at the time of encoding.  Bonus points if you recorded the program as well and the same glitch also replicates in the same place on playback.

If the A/V glitch or drop-out occurred due to severe packet loss or some other network problem, it won't replicate if you Restart, or at least not in the same place that you originally saw the glitch.

Peete22
I plan to stick around
  • FYI the problem with CMT 38 is gone, after almost 5 months the channel started working without issue sometime last week.  No tech came to our house, no lines were replaced, splitters and cable box were not replaced.  We did nothing different.  The problem was either with Rogers network or the cable channel itself.  I have not seen any other channels do it either so I assume the issue was with Rogers.  My point is most of the time the issue is in Rogers network but they will make you jump through hoops blaming everything else.  I knew it was not a problem with our house connection so I did not waste my time with techs etc and lived with it.  Happy it is now fixed, hopefully it stays fixed.  Anyone else maybe be patient and it will get fixed in your area eventually, doing anything else most of the time will not fix issues like this IMO.

I am experiencing the same lagging/audio freezes when the Leafs game is on. Now to check I switched from watching on CBC to Sportsnet channel. Wasnt the channel both were doing it.

Then I switched my wifes fire tv from the Channel to the Fire TV's Sportsnet app. TV was freezing/lagging with the channel but not with the sportsnet App.

Downstairs TV Freezing/Lagging through the channel. Using the Rogers box switched to Rogers Sportsnet App on the box. App worked 100% fine. Its clearly not the wifi signal, its something to do with the way the boxes are taking the channels and putting them on TV. 

Changed the HDMI's after this to see if it was the cables. Lagging persisted while watching the channels through the gateway boxes. Again this is a device issue it seems. 

TLP71
I'm here a lot

It has been one year (October 2022 to Oct. 2023) that my problem (Intermittent Screen Freezing and Audio) started. No breaks since then. Never happened before with Ignite TV,  People do you remember when it started for you ?

PS In October 2022 I lost my land line signal. Technician came and got my land line back. After I began to experience the problem. Is there a relationship or a coincidence? 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@TLP71  Up until very recently, any screen freezes and audio dropouts were with Ignite TV were momentary, and were basically caused by network problems -- either extreme latency or packet loss in your neighbourhood or due to some other problem in the back-end, and occasionally due to a faulty Wi-Fi module in the set-top box.  Assuming that the stream itself does not drop, if you rewind 10 seconds, you will see that same drop again in the same spot on replay.

However, over the past few weeks, many of us have seen a new, different problem: the HDMI connection on the set-top box drops and we get audio and video going out for about 5 seconds before coming back on its own.  However, this is due to a set-top box problem, not something that is network-related.  When this happens, you will probably see on-screen information displayed by your TV, as if you had just plugged in the HDMI cable the input came live.

xasha2259
I've been here awhile

I feel your pain!!!! I couldn’t have said it better myself!
Rebooting does nothing and sending someone out is a complete waste of time. They just don’t care. They said when I switched to Ignite, the problems would all disappear. 😡

Peete22
I plan to stick around

Fyi our channels have started to cut out again recently.  The same channels cmt 38 and 82 adult swim etc. Worked fine for months. They don't have a clue how their system works and how to fix issues long term.

jimdwyer1
I've been here awhile

Both of my TV's are connected with ethernet cables and both TV's are experiencing intermittent screen freezes and have the audio drop out as well.  It looks like this is a common problem with Rogers.  They have replaced the modem and both set top boxes and it is still happening.  When I watch another streaming service such as Netflix, Disney+ or Prime it does not happen.  BTW my rogers bill is way more that what I am paying for other streaming services and the quality is very poor.

jimdwyer1
I've been here awhile

As I have stated above it is not a WiFi problem.  This is a Rogers streaming problem.  Both of my TV's are connected with ethernet cables and both TV's are experiencing intermittent screen freezes and have the audio drop out as well.  This happens during live TV and also during recordings and when I rewind the recording the drop out is still there!  Rogers have replaced the modem and both set top boxes and it is still happening.  When I watch another streaming service such as Netflix, Disney+ or Prime it never happens.  BTW my rogers bill is way more that what I am paying for other streaming services and the quality of the signal is very poor.

tupelo
I plan to stick around

I concur that it is not a wifi problem.  I have had the issue on both Wifi (current connection) and wired (connection before the technician came and switched it).  It will come and go at random...one night will be fine, the next will be bad.  

I thought it was my AVR, but all other devices connected to it, either play fine (BluRay) or Stream without issue.  

Model of my IPTV box is XitT-6.  Has the latest firmware, etc.  

lewoox
I've been around
Having read all the comments and made the numerous calls and noted that it is not my job to be a commtech expert and that Rogers has been unable to provide a solution and I cannot watch the Olympics this month because the service is sooooo poor - I am now ready after 3 years to bid Rogers good-bye. Enough is enough.

Good morning @lewoox,

I am sorry to hear that you're having so many problems with the service that you're considering cancellation. I understand that missing the Olympics would be frustrating. I'd like to help.

Please feel free to send a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can assist you further. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, you can find out more here.  

Regards,

RogersCorey

jimdwyer1
I've been here awhile

What can you do to fix this problem?  I have had the STB's replaced more than once, a new cable with no splices or splitters installed, and the modem replaced and the screen freezing and sound dropouts still occur.  Yesterday while watching the Olympics everything shut down for 15 minutes. One of the technicians told me that it is a Comcast problem and this makes sense because on a recording the screen freezes at the same place over and over again on both STB's.  This problem started when I switched to Ignite about a year ago.  I plan on switching to Start.

Hello, @jimdwyer1.

It's disappointing that the screen freezing and audio dropouts persist even after replacing STBs and modem. We can run a few tests to determine the issue's root cause. Please send @CommunityHelps a private message. We detailed more info about our private messaging in this blog

Regards,

RogersMoin

Topic Stats