cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to toggle TV inputs on Ignite remote?

taylor1957
I've been here awhile

Does anyone know how to toggle through tv input (hdmi connections) using the rogers ignite voice remote? My ignite remote is synced with my tv for power and volume and when I press the tv input button it shows all of my hdmi inputs however I can’t seem to toggle between them? How is this done? Thanks for any responses.

***Edited Labels***

12 REPLIES 12

Re: How to toggle TV inputs on Ignite remote?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Repeated presses of the TV Input button on the Rogers Remote should cycle through your TV inputs. When you get to the input you want, stop pressing and most TVs will then switch to the input you are on. If the TV doesn't switch to that input "automatically" after you get to it and it requires a press of the TV remote's Select or Enter button, then you are out of luck.    It works for most TVs, but for TVs that require a press of an additional button like select or enter, then you will need to use the TV remote.

taylor1957
I've been here awhile
Thanks. Unfortunately repeated presses of the ignite tv input button did not toggle through the inputs. Thanks anyway.

Retiree2022
I've been here awhile
On my Toshiba TV, the Ignite's "TV input" button brings up the menu, and repeated presses do move down the list, but it gets stuck at the bottom. The arrow keys and number keys do not function as they should in this mode.

This is a bug.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Retiree2022 : As indicated in my earlier post, the TV Input button on the Rogers IgniteTV remote is very limited.  If your TV requires any button presses outside of the TV Input button, then you're out of luck and will need to use the TV remote (or something like a Harmony programmable remote).  This is unlikely to change.

@Retiree2022 wrote:
On my Toshiba TV, the Ignite's "TV input" button brings up the menu, and repeated presses do move down the list, but it gets stuck at the bottom. The arrow keys and number keys do not function as they should in this mode.

There is no more "TV" mode with the ignite remote, it is always in "ignite" mode.  The input button will send the input command to your TV but the up down and select buttons will not control your TVs menu, they only control the ignite box.  if you want to have more flexibility and control of your tv input, you must use your TV remote. The input button on the ignite remote is a "nice to have" button to change the input on most tvs but will not be able to support every tv out there with advanced stuff like scrolling thru a list to choose a different input if the tv was made that way.

BarbOO
I've been here awhile
I did everything above, so I suppose I'm in the "out of luck" category. My TV remote doesn't work either. The only way I can get to another input is to disconnect the rogers modem completely. Hopefully rogers can figure something out.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Can't you just order a replacement remote off Amazon? I ordered one for my Insignia TV and it came to a whopping $10 dollars, which is a very small price to pay for convenience.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@BarbOO wrote: My TV remote doesn't work either. 

Does this mean it doesn't change inputs, or doesn't work at all - for example, can it change settings or other functions on the TV?  Did you try new batteries.

If there are only some buttons on the TV remote that don't work, try pressing them hard repeatedly to see if you can remove any oxidation that may have happened over the years if a remote isn't used much.

BarbOO
I've been here awhile

Thank you!  It's a brand new remote with what I assume to be new batteries.  Everything works but that toggle.  I have 2 TVs.  Funny thing, the toggle works on my older TV.  Doesn't work on my newer "smart" TV.  Oh well.  thanks very much.

BarbOO
I've been here awhile

Thanks, that sounds like a great idea. Definitely worth $10.

One strange thing, my remote is brand new, you'd think it would work - oh well.   

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hello BarbOO

A remote control for a TV brand may function perfectly fine with the TV it came equipped with, but may not work at all or have limited or improper functionality on another TV even its the same brand or manufacturer.

The best recourse is to contact the TV manufacturer, you can give them the model number of your set, and they will be more than happy to provide you with the remote control model number for your television. They may even offer to sell you one, but its totally up to you how you want to purchase it, you may want to buy it online elsewhere if u are looking to save a few bucks.

Retiree2022
I've been here awhile
I've discovered a work-around that works for my Toshiba tv. If I use the Ignite's power button to turn off the tv and the Ignite, wait a second, and turn them both on again, the tv detects the Ignite and automatically selects it as input.

It's still a minor pain, but it works with just the one remote.
Topic Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 5 in conversation