cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changes to Ignite TV Channels in Packages and Theme Packs

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I'm starting this thread to give us a place where changes to the Ignite TV channel lineups can be announced and discussed.

Rogers already has pages that show Free Previews and New Channels but I have not been able to find any pages that list planned/upcoming changes to the default channel lineups for Ignite TV Packages, Theme Packs or the Flex Channels that we can choose from.

For example, my latest bill contains a note informing me that Fox Sports Racing will no longer be part of my package effective June 14, 2020 but will still be available to subscribers as part of the Adventure Theme Pack.  However, it still shows as an included Flex Channel in Premier and an optional Flex Channel in Popular.

@CommunityHelps  Are you aware of any other upcoming changes that you can share here so that we can also plan accordingly?  Thanks!

*** Edited Labels/Title ***

217 REPLIES 217

Re: Changes to Ignite TV Channels in Packages and Theme Packs

Gtheman
I plan to stick around
Very well said. Bell has been promising Fibe in my area for 6+ months. We live in hope..

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Gtheman  Just to be perfectly clear, I am NOT portraying or advocating Bell as a solution.  Far from it.

i was on phone for 8 plus hr in 2 days w/ rogers n got a letter from the prez office stating their behaviour was "

respectful and professional " - i asked for a $25 credit for the abuse i suffered and was told 'no'

Corrfran
I've been here awhile

Why does Rogers not add the 4 basic US stations to their Ignite lineup?  ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX not there unless you buy the ultimate supreme Ignite package. These are automatically added with Bell, Shaw satellite and Bell Fibe. Local stations could be either Buffalo or Detroit with no issues in Southern Ontario. I could get the 3 with an old antenna 20 years ago and now not?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Corrfran wrote:

Why does Rogers not add the 4 basic US stations to their Ignite lineup?  ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX not there unless you buy the ultimate supreme Ignite package. These are automatically added with Bell, Shaw satellite and Bell Fibe. Local stations could be either Buffalo or Detroit with no issues in Southern Ontario. I could get the 3 with an old antenna 20 years ago and now not?

This has been discussed in the Changes to Ignite TV Channels in Packages and Theme Packs thread and there was no good (pro-customer) reason as to why.  The major US networks had been part of Ignite TV packages since the beginning.  Then, back in July, 2021, Rogers made the decision to drop those channels from in-market Ignite TV bundles.  Current Ignite TV customers were able to keep those channels as part of their subscriptions but new customers now needed to purchase a separate theme pack.  Furthermore, if any existing customers were to make any changes to their bundle, even changing their Internet speed, they would need to switch to an in-market bundle and would lose access to those channels, along with anything else that had been grandfathered in their older plans.

Needless to say, a lot of people were upset by this.

Rayg
I plan to stick around

I was completely mislead into upgrading to Ignite based on the notion that my TV lineup would not change significantly.  Then when I open the box I find out I will not have any US channels including PBS.  What lying sacks of deceitful practices you are.  And the salesperson was saying I was a respected long time customer.  I am returning all your stuff and cutting the cable.   Shame on you Rogers for such deceitful practices!!!!

Gtheman
I plan to stick around

Very sad...these increases for  ??? Who knows.

Gtheman
I plan to stick around

Service, like their signal, is rubbish. Constant reboots ? Is that the new norm ? Service was far better before this Ignite . .

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Saw the following on my Rogers Bill today. I believe this affects IgniteTV and Legacy Digital Cable.

Starting April 1, 2022, Paramount Network will no longer be available as part of your TV or theme package. If you subscribe to this channel on its own, we will remove it as of this date and it will no longer appear on your bill. No further action is required by you.

If you subscribe to Paramount Network as part of a Mix Pack (15, 20, or 30), we will automatically replace it (replacement channel will provide similar content where possible). If you would like to pick a different
one, we are happy to help you choose from over 50 channels in our Digital Specialty line-up. Give us a call at 1-888-ROGERS1 and we can make that change for you.

The rest of your Rogers TV package will remain the same. This change is made in accordance with the CRTC Television Service Provider Code. If you have any questions or no longer wish to subscribe to your TV service, please reach out to us in any of the ways listed in the Contact Us...

aboyaci
I plan to stick around

That's so odd. I didnt get this message in my latest bill in March, and this is not posted on the https://www.rogers.com/support/tv/channel-updates website.

If its true, Rogers just keeps removing channels. I'm on the legacy Premier TV, and this channel is another Premier TV specific channel that is getting cut. The legacy Premier TV channel size is now becoming more and more like the original Popular TV package size, and far inferior to Bell's Better TV package.

jc277
I plan to stick around

Thanks for pointing this out. They would have fooled me, too. A cheaper solution is a $3 Theme Pack that provides those channels plus PBS. Sorry, I can't remember the name or how I got to that page. (Isn't this website awful! So convoluted and confusing. It must be deliberate. And all this obfuscation is apparently legal in Canada. But I digress...) Just keep in mind that what you want is $3 (plus HST) more than the package price shown.

cyue
I've been around

Us too.  We were told it would be so much better if we went to Ignite.  We switched to Ignite but were not told we would lose the American channels.  At the same time we switched to the Sports Package because it had almost everything we would want.  The most important channel to us being the Golf Channel.  The golf channel shows the Saturday and Sunday rounds till mid-afternoon at which time the coverage switches to NBC or CBS.  But now that we went to IGNITE we DON'T have those channels.  And it's a crapshoot as to if it's on one of the 5 TSN channels.  Today it's on RDS, but that's not in the SPORTS package.

ReneHache
I plan to stick around

I'm trying to Flex Paramount Network to an other channel before Paramount Network is being removed, but Paramount Network don't show-up on my Flex list anymore. I was hopping to swap it tonight before it officially discontinued. So I don't loose a Flex slot.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ReneHache wrote:

I'm trying to Flex Paramount Network to an other channel before Paramount Network is being removed, but Paramount Network don't show-up on my Flex list anymore. I was hopping to swap it tonight before it officially discontinued. So I don't loose a Flex slot.

When Rogers is about to discontinue a channel, they typically remove from the channel list.  This is to prevent new subscribers from adding it to their lineup.  However, this also causes problems for existing customers who want to exchange Flex Channels but who also want to keep the doomed channel until it ceases broadcasting.

When one of your Flex Channels gets discontinued and removed, Rogers should replace it with another channel, which you can then swap out... so you will still end up with the same number of Flex Channels.  (https://www.rogers.com/support/tv/channel-updates)

If you want swap out the Paramount channel now but cannot perform the swap in MyRogers, you can also contact Rogers Tech Support and ask them to swap it out for you.

rogers doesn't care about customers - i am going to discontinue my tv sub - just not worth the $

nighthawk
I plan to stick around
Is there a reason why Rogers has decided to drop Paramount Network? Is it because Paramount Plus streaming service is available in Canada. Is it a carriage fees dispute?

ReneHache
I plan to stick around

@nighthawk wrote:
Is there a reason why Rogers has decided to drop Paramount Network? Is it because Paramount Plus streaming service is available in Canada. Is it a carriage fees dispute?

For what I understand the channel is either shutting down or stop being broadcast in Canada, all Canadian cable provider is affected, not just Rogers

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As far as I know, Paramount Network is still broadcasting in Canada and is still available from other TV service providers.  I think that Rogers simply decided to drop it from their lineup.

ReneHache
I plan to stick around

^^

Sorry about the confusion. I probably read the wrong information somewhere or got mixed with something else.

Still no change on my flex list, no new channel appears, If I remember correctly when Peachtree got removed, I only got a new channel when Peachtree was gone from the system, maybe the same thing will happen with Paramount, I can only wait and see.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It's been quiet here but things are changing in Ignite TV land.

Leafs fans have probably already noticed that after 21 years on the air, Leafs Nation / Leafs TV has ceased broadcasting and is no longer available.  Subscribers to this channel may also notice in My Rogers that they seem to have one fewer Flex Channel available, or that they may be unable to exchange Flex Channels.  This is happening because you are still technically subscribed to the channel but Leafs Nation is no longer listed as an eligible Flex Channel, so there is no way for you to see it or swap it out without contacting tech support.

There is also more shrinkflation going on and new subscribers will find that the Ignite TV bundles are now offering less value than they used to.

"Flex 20 + Sports" (which gave you 28 Flex Channels) is now "Flex 20 Including Sports" and now only includes 20 Flex Channels.

Ignite Premier has also been scaled back.  Last time I checked, Premier included 87 Flex Channels; now you only get 63.

There was also a hidden price increase, and new subscribers will pay an additional $20/month unless they choose to commit to a 2-year contract.

toolcubed
I'm a senior contributor

Yep.  In addition to that, all tv packages have far fewer total number of channels now too.  Also, the pool of flex channels used to be the same across all tv packages, but that's no longer the case.  The flex channel pools are now smaller with the lower tv packages.  For example, Flex 20 has far fewer flex channels to choose from compared to Premier.  I renewed a Flex 20 bundle for my parents the other day, and they had to agree to the new in-market bundles in order to take advantage of a promo.  They were disappointed to learn that they no longer have CTV Drama...not even available as a flex channel in the Flex 20 package anymore.

It's disappointing to see Rogers going backwards in terms of value proposition, especially when one of their largest competitors (Bell) can offer far more channels and true FTTH internet for the same price or less.  And I say that with absolute certainty because my parents have also been offered a very decently priced Bell Fibe bundle (500Mbps symmetrical internet + "Better" tv package + home phone) for $5 less per month compared to their current Rogers promo.  Bell's "Better" tv package includes many more channels compared to Rogers' Flex 20 package.  On top of that, Bell would throw in Crave free for one year.  It's an offer they're seriously considering.

I understand that Rogers is currently in full financial savings / cost-cutting mode due to the upcoming Shaw merger, but it's been cut after cut lately, and it's been leaving a very sour taste for many.

Topic Stats