cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4K HDR and Dolby Vision

CorvalisTTX
I've been here awhile

So I've just ordered my first 4K TV (LG OLED C1 65").  I know the built in TV apps will show HDR and Dolby Vision for Prime and Netflix.  I'd like to use just one remote and stream Netflix and Prime through the Rogers Ignite box.  Will the Ignite box pass HDR and Dolby Vision to the TV or am I best to use the apps native to the TV?

***Added Labels***

10 REPLIES 10

Re: 4K HDR and Dolby Vision

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@CorvalisTTX  Ignite TV uses Comcast's Xi6 set-top box and according to Comcast's FAQ, the Xi6 STB and apps are UHD/HDR-capable: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/uhd-4k-faqs

AccordXTC
I'm a reliable contributor

Always use the TV's apps when it comes to HDR and DV. You'll be using the TV's processor vs the Rogers Ignite box. This also will avoid and issues with having a HDMI cable that is not the right version and passing the right formats through. 

CorvalisTTX
I've been here awhile

I received the TV yesterday and I tried the apps on the ignite box.  According to the TV, the TV is receiving both Dolby Vision (from Netflix) and HDR (from Prime)  from the Ignite box.  I did use new HDMI 2.0 cables that pass 4K @ 60Hz.  I also tried streaming using the apps built into the TV and I saw no difference in the picture or the picture quality.

Thanks for info, all.

reed935
I plan to stick around

I was aware the Ignite boxes supported HDR (ie. HDR10), but pretty sure they do not support Dolby Vision, as that would require licencing and would likely be used by Rogers, as an excuse to increase the box rental fee. 

Can someone from Rogers please confirm what specific HDR formats are actually supported on the current boxes.  Will there ever be support for DV ??

CorvalisTTX
I've been here awhile

Well the TV displays that the Netflix feed via the Ignite box is indeed in Dolby Vision.  I'm assuming that Rogers is just passing the signal to the TV and that because the Ignite box is not actually displaying the stream that there would be no cost involved.  I could be wrong though.

reed935
I plan to stick around

Can we get someone who can actually verify whether or not the Xi6 boxes support the passthrough of Dolby Vision ??  I have never  been able to get that flag on Netflix through the Xi6, but I can get it with Netflix on my NVidia Shield, going through the same receiver to the TV.  I actually tried calling Rogers Tech Support to find out, and as soon as I asked the question, the tech said he had never had this question before, and then the line went dead ...

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@reed935 wrote:

Can we get someone who can actually verify whether or not the Xi6 boxes support the passthrough of Dolby Vision ??  I have never  been able to get that flag on Netflix through the Xi6, but I can get it with Netflix on my NVidia Shield, going through the same receiver to the TV.  I actually tried calling Rogers Tech Support to find out, and as soon as I asked the question, the tech said he had never had this question before, and then the line went dead ...

As far as I know, Dolby Vision is not supported by the Xi6 set-top box, but it will be supported by Comcast's next-generation 4K UHD/HDR set-top box, the XiOne.  The XiOne box will also support Dolby Atmos and will also support Wi-Fi 6 connectivity.

Comcast will initially be offering the XiOne as a streaming box for their Xfinity Flex service (what Rogers calls SmartStream).  I don't know what the showstopper is before TV customers can get it.  Comcast still have not started offering Wi-Fi 6 Pods yet although they are apparently being tested.  (Plume announced SuperPods with Wi-Fi 6 back in the spring.)  I don't know whether or not Comcast will replace the XR-15 TV Voice remote with a newer model with better ergonomics.

fgfgf
I plan to stick around

Can confirm on my setup that the Xi6 is putting out applicable content from Netflix in Dolby Vision, but not from Disney or Prime.  Programs are instead recognized by the TV as HDR.  The same programs play with Dolby Vision from the native TV apps.  

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@fgfgf wrote:

Can confirm on my setup that the Xi6 is putting out applicable content from Netflix in Dolby Vision, but not from Disney or Prime.  Programs are instead recognized by the TV as HDR.  The same programs play with Dolby Vision from the native TV apps.  

Any update on this? I can get Netflix to output Dolby Vision, but not Prime or Disney+. It seems like a software limitation, because the hardware can output Dolby Vision for Netflix.

v5e
I've been around

I was able to get HDR to work in the Ignite box Youtube app when I enabled HDMI enhanced mode on my tv.

Topic Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 7 in conversation