Captcha Issues

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
jpbazinet
I'm Here A Lot
Posts: 5

Re: Captcha Issues

Has anyone else noticed a huge increase in captcha's logging into various websites while using Rogers?

I get them everywhere I go now, and I have family members, and a separate work account that are getting them all the time too. Has a large block of Rogers IP's been blacklisted?

 

I'd consider it normal to see a few here and there... or that it was just my IP that was flagged, except for the fact that I know (and have seen with my own eyes) many other Rogers accounts with the same behaviour.

 

To clarify: This is happening everywhere. Not just on rogers.com

barndoor
I'm a Trusted Contributor
Posts: 766

Re: Captcha Issues


@jpbazinet wrote:

Has anyone else noticed a huge increase in captcha's logging into various websites while using Rogers?

Rogers is your  IP ? 

Rogers is  not  my IP and I have noticed no increase  in captcha's anywhere ...even here ...I have had non here in the last couple weeks .

User14
I'm a Trusted Contributor
Posts: 528

Re: Captcha Issues


@jpbazinet wrote:

Has anyone else noticed a huge increase in captcha's logging into various websites while using Rogers?

I get them everywhere I go now, and I have family members, and a separate work account that are getting them all the time too. Has a large block of Rogers IP's been blacklisted?

 

I'd consider it normal to see a few here and there... or that it was just my IP that was flagged, except for the fact that I know (and have seen with my own eyes) many other Rogers accounts with the same behaviour.

 

EDIT:

This post was moved from it's own thread to here. I saw this thread, and since it dealt pretty exclusively with captchas on the Rogers site, I felt it didn't belong. To clarify: This is happening everywhere. Not just on rogers.com


I use to get a lot of the Captchas using Chrome, but not anymore. I also have an ad blocker.  Note that I can NOT sign into the Forum after signing in to MyRogers anymore, but that is another Rogers issue for a different thread.  The easiest way for me to sign in now WITHOUT a Captcha is to open up one of the Rogers emails I get telling me there is a post. When it comes up, I can read the post each time.  So to sign in, I use this post and click REPLY, then when the blank screen appears for my comments, I THEN click the SIGN IN at the top right.  I will get a prompt for my password but there are no CAPTCHAs during this process. I must assume the software must remember my IP address from the last time I posted.  This is my workaround to avoid the CAPTCHA issue. 

57
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Posts: 4,169

Re: Captcha Issues

Captchas seem to come in waves. I have also not seen any Captchas on this Rogers forum in a few weeks - they were very present/persistent for about a month earlier this year.  I'm (mostly) using Chrome on my Mac Mini and sign in here several times a day.

 

As for Captchas elsewhere, I don't need to sign in to very many places, but my wife did note that she is seeing a few on a few of the sites she visits, however, I don't believe it has anything to do with Rogers, simply that more sites are using Captchas now.

 

You may be able to do something, like clearing Rogers Cookies and the computer cache using the tips in the following post (or not).

 

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Unable-to-load-certain-website-s-and-or-videos/m-p/42...



barndoor
I'm a Trusted Contributor
Posts: 766

Re: Captcha Issues


@57 wrote:

 

 

As for Captchas elsewhere, I don't need to sign in to very many places, but my wife did note that she is seeing a few on a few of the sites she visits, however, I don't believe it has anything to do with Rogers, simply that more sites are using Captchas now.

 

 


Just curious tho.... is Rogers  your  IP ?

57
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Posts: 4,169

Re: Captcha Issues


@barndoor wrote:  Just curious tho.... is Rogers  your  IP ?

Yes, and it comes up as such on any IP Lookup websites.



User14
I'm a Trusted Contributor
Posts: 528

Re: Captcha Issues


@User14 wrote:


I use to get a lot of the Captchas using Chrome, but not anymore. I also have an ad blocker.  Note that I can NOT sign into the Forum after signing in to MyRogers anymore, but that is another Rogers issue for a different thread.  The easiest way for me to sign in now WITHOUT a Captcha is to open up one of the Rogers emails I get telling me there is a post. When it comes up, I can read the post each time.  So to sign in, I use this post and click REPLY, then when the blank screen appears for my comments, I THEN click the SIGN IN at the top right.  I will get a prompt for my password but there are no CAPTCHAs during this process. I must assume the software must remember my IP address from the last time I posted.  This is my workaround to avoid the CAPTCHA issue. 


12 May 2019 UPDATE.  I am able to log into the Rogers Main Page with my user ID and password from my home PC, then go to the bottom of the page and click on "Community Forums" and get in without any Captchas as well.

Maybe the logging-in issue has finally been resolved. If so, congrats to the Lithium folks for making it work. 

vitalich
I've Been Around
Posts: 1

Re: Captcha Issues

What a waste of time! Logging in to just pay a bill that absolutely moronic reCAPTCHA forces to go stupid image selection 5 times! I swear, I will cancel subscription if Rogers continues with that stupidity.

BabakR
I'm Here A Lot
Posts: 6

Re: Captcha Issues

Hi everyone,

I found this forum when googling for the ridiculous reCaptcha challenge whenever I try to login to my Rogers account online. Just wanted to let everyone who may not be technically proficient or a netsec security expert that there are more elegant, behind the scene solutions, "behind the curtains" that Rogers IT department could implement and join the rest of the world in 2019, instead of staying in 2007.

 

ELI5: reCaptcha is a way to prevent bots from trying to guess your login by attempting to login repeatedly using 'brute force' attacks. It also prevents DDoS attacks.

 

But there are better solutions for these two problems.

 

Think about it, which service today is used more every single day by people to login? which online service is 'critical' for the average internet user? I would wager the answer to both is gmail from google.

 

Now ask yourself, have you EVER been challenged by reCaptcha or anything remotely like it by google when you've tried to login to your gmail account?

 

No?

 

Why not?

 

I'll tell you, it is because google hires intelligent people and pays attention to user experience. They implement server side solutions to prevent both of the potential problems mentioned above.

 

If you're interested in the details, read on...

 

There are very simple ways that Rogers or any online service can tell the difference between a human user and a bot. They can even tell with very good probability between a bad actor human and the correct account holder. How?

 

Because we leave 'footprints' online. We use a specific browser for example, firefox, chrome, safari, etc. We use different OS's: most use windows but some use apple, others use linux, etc.

 

We also login using different devices, for most of us it is a desktop, others a laptop, others a tablet, others a smartphone, etc.

 

We use a specific IP most of the time (our home). We login at usually the same time (few of us are up at 3:35 AM EST checking our Rogers accounts).

 

So all of these pieces of information are gathered and used to create a 'footprint' which is then matched with the next login attempt.

 

Is the user logging in from the same IP as they have previous? or is the IP suddenly showing them trying to login from Bangladesh when they have always logged in from Saskatoon? if Saskatoon as before, that's a checkmark, if Bangladesh, that's a red flag

 

Is the user logging in at a 'reasonable' hour for a user in their location Canada (Rogers knows your location - your address btw)? ok that's another checkmark

 

Is the user logging in using the same browser, OS and device as before? check check check

 

What about the previous login attempts? when was it? was it recently? did it fail? how far apart was the previous attempt? Humans can only type so fast, we can't submit 4 login attempts within 7 seconds of each other so if that happens, it is most likely a bot.

 

By now you get the idea. This is the type of thing that gmail and all other online services do to allow users a seamless UX without neglecting security.

 

Why isn't Rogers doing this?

 

I have no idea. But it is most likely down to not hiring competent people or not giving them a proper budget. Or both.

 

In any case, this is inexcusable and embarrassing for a company which had revenue of $3.8 BILLION just in the most recent past 3 months (April-June 2019).

 

So what do you say Rogers? Would you kindly consider joining the rest of the online world in 2019 and implementing proper server side security measures instead of offloading it via a clunky solution like reCaptcha to the user so that they waste their time every time they try to login to your account?

 

 

57
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Posts: 4,169

Re: Captcha Issues

@BabakR : Just as an FYI, I haven't seen a Captcha on Rogers since around March or April 2019.