cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi-fi calling on unlocked Android devices

revhappy
I plan to stick around

Now that we are well into December of 2017, I just wanted to reiterate that locked phones are a thing of the past (well, 4 days in the past).

I'm extremely hopeful Rogers will make it a priority to look after their subscribers who use unlocked Android devices with Wi-Fi and VoLTE capabilities. For someone like me who works in an office that provides 1-2 bars of EDGE on a consistent daily basis, having Wi-Fi calling would be completely liberating.

Who else is in this same boat as me? 

***Added Labels***

74 REPLIES 74

Re: Wi-fi calling on unlocked Android devices

Skwibby
I've been here awhile

@zxa, Bell and Telus both have a similar restriction - I have been on the phone with them for a while to get an answer, as I am ready to move off of Rogers because of this issue. 

Freedom does not have this restriction, which is where I very well may end up. Rogers jacked my plan for an extra $5, but my service has declined. The fact I've been with them for over 20 years means nothing. 

I live and work in Toronto. My reception is poor in my apartment. WiFi Calling solves for this, but instead, Rogers would have me buy a booster for $500. LOL.

Yes I agree, I am just waiting to have time and will switch to Freedom. Why pay more and not get the service I need. My Note9 bought from Samsung Canada why would any carrier restrict it from using wifi calling.

zxa
I'm here a lot

Skwibby
I've been here awhile

@zxa Good to know. interesting that a telus rep on their chat said otherwise regarding my galaxy s9+ purchased from samsung. 

The telus also did mention that certain phone models (purchased elsewhere) were supported for wifi calling, ad more were being added to the list - however the s9+ was not among them.  I guess it's "caveat emptor" for everyone!

rudedude
I've been here awhile
I had a non Rogers Galaxy S7. Wifi calling was not available. Same with my new Galaxy S10. I don't believe that Rogers sells different Samsung phones from Samsung or any other seller. They simply want you to buy phones from them. Blocking this feature without reducing the cost of my plan seems highly inappropriate.
I've complained to the CRTC. I'll update my post once I get a response from them.

rudedude
I've been here awhile
After my complaint to the CRTC, a technician called me from Rogers. Now my S10 works beautifully with wifi calling.

Dancass
I've been around

I guess i will be contacting the CRTC as well.

Can you post a template of the letter you sent to the CRTC please.

rudedude
I've been here awhile
It's an online submission form. Go to the crtc website and click on "make a complaint". You will be taken to a form. This is how I completed it:
Details Please provide the details of your complaint.
Rogers blocks the wifi calling feature for Android users that don't purchase the phone from Rogers. The feature is not blocked for iPhone users or Android users that purchased their phone from Rogers.
I have communicated with technical support over chat but basically there is no solution offered besides buying a phone from them or buying an iPhone.
What do you consider to be a reasonable resolution to your dispute?
Offer the same services to all unlocked devices including iPhone and Android or offer a discount for the blocked feature to non-Rogers Android users.
When did you become aware of the facts leading to your complaint? 2019-05-04
Billing Amount Being Disputed
How did you hear about CCTS? other

I received a response from the crtc by email confirming that this falls within the scope of issues they deal with. After that I received a call from the crtc and 2 calls from Rogers to allow me to use wifi calling.

Thanks more people should file complaints to bring awareness around Rogers unethical practices.

hiba_ikh
I've been here awhile

I did fill the crtc form and the next day I got a call from crtc saying it's not us to submit the complaint to. then I said who will be if not you? they said you have to submit it to ccts!!

Did you been told the same? or crtc resolve the issue? 

Thanks,

What phone do you have I can give you the solution if you have S8

hiba_ikh
I've been here awhile

Note9 Canadian Model. Error message device no eligible. Rogers sells same  device with same model number and it works fine. Rogers continues to disappoint their customers in every service they provide "Profit first customers whatever who cares".

yes I have the note9 from Samsung Canada however Rogers does not allow wifi calling. so bad.. I am looking for different carrier who cares about customers

Step 1: Unlock phone if unlocked
Step 2: Call Roger ask them to activate Volte and Wifi-Calling you know they are doing the process when they ask for IMEI. Record IMEI you will need it later. Or just find in settings.

Step 4: Back up phone as your phone will be later reset. Best way to get your original settings and app info is to Backup to Samsung and Google.

Step 5: Open phone App enter below
*#272*IMEI#

Select RWC

Your phone will reset as a rogers phone. and be completely wiped.

Step 6: Restore Phone by Samsung Restore and Google restore.

You should have minimal adjustment to make from your original phone.

hiba_ikh
I've been here awhile
These steps already been performed. IMEI already been added before hand. And when called to enable wifi calling the Rogers Tech see it on his end and it shows the device is not provisioned to use this service. They refuse to allow the device unless it got purchased from Rogers themselves.

Is it a Canadian phone?

Has anyone had success with this method. I just got off the phone with tech support. I did not see this post until after the hour long call.

the solution is to go to Freedom or Telus they will support your device. but check before making any move. I had to move to Freedom to keep my Note9 cause Rogers couldn't help me 

sbmtrst
I've been around

My Samsung was bought through Amazon. After I explained to the Rogers rep that I'm diabetic, live in the middle of nowhere with barely a pip for a signal, they still wouldn't set up my phone for wifi calling.  Very sad.  

Hello, @sbmtrst

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

I know how important it is to stay connected especially if you live in a rural area that does not have a very strong signal. 

Wi-Fi calling is a great feature for those types of situations. Regrettably, we can only guarantee that features like Wi-Fi Calling will work on devices that have been purchased from Rogers as the features of those devices have been fully tested on our network.

If you would like to see what offers we have on devices that would support Wi-Fi Calling on our network then please send a Private message to @CommunityHelps so we can review your options with you.

Not familiar with your private messaging system? No worries, Click Here.

RogersTony

Topic Stats