Wi-fi calling on unlocked Android devices

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Wi-fi calling on unlocked Android devices

Im in the process of leaving Rogers also,for the same exact reasons you mentioned!
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @popo

I do agree with you 100%. Unfortunately Rogers however like many other carriers in Canada are allowed to block certain features. Although its a disgusting and poor choice, most carriers in Canada do this so you can buy the phones they sell instead. This is something many of us for years have complained. At one point iPhone 6 devices which were bought outright from Apple when launched were never allowed to have WiFi calling. It took Rogers and most carrier almost 2 years to allow this on them. I know as I ran the pre order threads on here and seem it..

The manufacturers set specific IMEI numbers to each device. There is no same IMEI number and no where in the world does a manufacturer or carrier allow spoofing of a IMEI number. Rogers does not create IMEI numbers and by law in many countries no carrier is allowed to spoof a IMEI Number or allow that to happen.. Don't know which part of the world you are from however I really doubt a carrier let alone a device manufacturer allows spoofing of a IMEI  

If you have any further questions regarding spoofing of a IMEI, I welcome you to contact Samsung Canada legal team or their head office and they can gladly explain this to you. If you want you can also speak to the Office of the President at Rogers or their fraud department and they can advice you as well if it's illegal on their end or not. However there have been cases which some have been banned from networks for it and also if a IMEI number is blacklisted, whatever phone shares that specified IMEI number will be blacklisted as well.

As per the comment regarding about the services not being enabled and such, I agree with you but you as a customer can also contact the CRTC and file a complain with them.. The CRTC is the one the controls rules and regulations regarding carriers and their practices. They would be the ones you go to and file a complaint.
I Plan to Stick Around

Yes please Rogers. I bought the unlocked Note 8 from Hong Kong and I need wifi calling too

I Plan to Stick Around

I spoke to CRTC and they said is not their problem. It is between us and Rogers

I've Been Here Awhile

I bought the Note 9 from Samsung cause Rogers does not offer the 512 GB variant. however, I am not able to activate wifie calling. Rogers customers service please help me activate wifi calling

Hello @gilbertgk,

We appreciate you being a part of the Rogers Community Forums and hope you've been able to find some useful information since joining! I see this is your first post, congrats! 👍

There is certainly a lot of value in having the Wi-Fi Calling feature as it helps folks stay connected! Unfortunately, if you have a non-Rogers Android device, Wi-Fi Calling will not work. My apologies for any disappointment. 

For more detailed information on Wi-Fi Calling over the Rogers Network and to better understand what the requirements are, please CLICK HERE.

Thank you,

RogersLaura 

I Plan to Stick Around

This is really bad which means Rogers restricted the customer to purchase the device from you exclusively. This defeated the non-compete terms of CRTC. Before I remember Rogers you guys has the Rogers One Number which we can use any device to use wifi calling now you guys eliminate this and restricted in your handset setting which customer MUST purchase the handset from you which is very bad.

I've Been Here Awhile

Technically that does not make any sense. Why do I have to have a rogers device when I first started my note 9 rogers software got installed so what's the point to have bloatware installed that I can't remove yet I can't enable wifi calling. If that's the case then you are going to loose loyal customers.
I Plan to Stick Around

I do have a Rogers Android phone but Wi-Fi calling doesn't work on it either. It seems you not only need a Rogers Android phone but it has to be one of the few that offer it. My Huawei P20 Pro supports the feature but Rogers had chosen to not enable it.
Topic Stats