cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi-fi calling on unlocked Android devices

revhappy
I plan to stick around

Now that we are well into December of 2017, I just wanted to reiterate that locked phones are a thing of the past (well, 4 days in the past).

I'm extremely hopeful Rogers will make it a priority to look after their subscribers who use unlocked Android devices with Wi-Fi and VoLTE capabilities. For someone like me who works in an office that provides 1-2 bars of EDGE on a consistent daily basis, having Wi-Fi calling would be completely liberating.

Who else is in this same boat as me? 

***Added Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Wi-fi calling on unlocked Android devices

kalto
I'm here a lot

Just a quick update about this issue as every google search seems to end here. I just bought a S22 Ultra unlocked from Amazon. Popped my Rogers SIM card in it before first boot, setup the phone. After that, I validated the CSC Region code used (Settings, About Phone, Software Information, look under Service provider software version for "RWC", this means you're on Rogers region code). 
After that, nothing else. It just worked. VoLTE and Wifi Calling both works out of the box!
If your CSC region code is something, Google around, there are way to change it. But note that it seems that this will factory reset your phone, so use with caution!

View solution in original post

74 REPLIES 74

RogersPrasana
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @revhappy

Welcome to the Community Forums! Smiley Happy

I can definitely see how beneficial WiFi calling would be in a situation like yours.

We will definitely update the community when we hear more information.

Thank you for your feedback!

RogersPrasana 

angelop
I plan to stick around

Same here. No signal at work. need wifi calling. Called  rogers countless times to no avial.

Phones are now unlocked -- so when will rogers open the wifi calling/volte options for us unlocked android guys?

We are all loyal rogers customers who pay our bills on a monthly basis, why not give your customers what they ask for???

Anyone have a successful work around? 

someguy495
I've been here awhile
Strange enough they seem to have disabled volte and wifi calling my new unlocked Galaxy S8 I got from Rogers. I did a hardware upgrade during the black Friday sale and they shipped me an unlocked version. Even with the volte option enabled, my signal drops to 4g from LTE everytime make a call. However, when I switch the sim back to my S6, volte and wifi calling both work.
I've called tech support a few times and they can't figure it out.

Good day @someguy495,

Welcome to the Rogers Community!

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing issues with the VoLTE and Wi-Fi Calling features, on your new Samsung Galaxy S8. Our goal is to help you resolve it! Smiley Wink

When you spoke with technical support, do you know if they opened a ticket to have this investigated further?

Did you go through the registration process successfully, for the Wi-Fi Calling?

Let us know!

RogersMaude

someguy495
I've been here awhile
Hi,

There is no ticket open since I was told that it isn't "broken". I have been using WiFi calling for a while and in fact when I switch the SIM back to the Galaxy S6, both WiFI calling and VoLTE work.

On the plus side my S8 has been getting LTE+ signals where I never got with the S6 and the data is noticeably faster. It's just a shame that the signal drops to 4g when I make or receive a call.

revhappy
I plan to stick around

So there is definitely something going on behind the scenes at Rogers. Here's the conclusion to my experiment:

1. Remove SIM card from unlocked GS7 and install into a GS6 locked on Rogers.

2. Mess around with the settings on the GS6, all the while pinging the Wifi Calling activation link www.rogers.com/AndroidWiFi  

3. Once the IMEI of the GS6 was linked to my SIM card, www.rogers.com/AndroidWiFi  was able to confirm my enrollment

4. Once enrolled, I booted up the GS7 with the SIM card I registered WIFI calling with on the GS6, went through the settings and turned WIFI calling and VoLTE on.

Conclusion:

1. When airplane mode is activated, the phone places calls using on WIFI network.

2. When making a regular call on the cellular network, "HD" appears in the top left hand corner signifying that VoLTE is activate on my side of the fence.

3. Within 10 minutes, the phone was unable to make WIFI or VoLTE calls. Most likely as the GS7 IMEI was registered, once again, on the network. 

Any sensible person who can clearly see what's going on here: If your IMEI was not originally locked to Roger's, you are out of luck - plain and simple; any way you dice it. They are definitely using a table database system which allows them to filter out non-Roger's phones.

Here's to waiting another 11 years before I can use this feature (if I dont jump ship by then).

revhappy
I plan to stick around

Since my last post on December 26th, I have taken what available resources that are available to the general consumer public and filed a formal complaint with the CCTS.

However, I will not outline the specifics of that outbound communication. I do urge those ensnared in a similar situation like myself to take the same initiative as I have and voice their concern to the service provider and the CCTS.

Bostbrn
I've been here awhile

Wifi Calling- LG V20,  non-Rogers Phone

Do you know when wifi calling will be coming to non-Rogers phones? There are some areas where reception is not great and this feature would help greatly. Thanks.

Hello @Bostbrn,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums.

I can certainly appreciate your question. WiFi Calling was designed for customers in rural areas and provides a great alternative when reception may be low.

With that said, currently, we don't have information regarding when/if it'll be available to the LG V20 or other particular unlocked devices, at this time. Have you considered alternatives that have similar features to WiFi Calling, such as WhatsApp or Viber?

I know that's not the answer you want to hear :(, but we'll be sure to update the Community with any information that may become available to us.

RogersCilio

What about the LG V20, purchased from Rogers, which still does not have access to WiFi calling? Other LG devices sold by Rogers have it, so why not the V20?

Hello @westhead74,

I know Wi-Fi calling is a very popular feature. If there are any changes to the eligible devices we will definitely update the Community!

Stay tuned!

RogersZia

Wolffpack123
I've been around
Got a s8plus from Best buy. If I knew they blacklist unlocked phones from WiFi calling than I would be changing phones. Funny thing is that Apple phones that are unlocked work with WiFi calling. Samsung users are getting scewed

bostbrn1
I've been here awhile

Wifi Calling A Must

The ability to use wifi calling is very important because of the poor Rogers' reception in some locations. I have a non-Rogers phone (LG V20). Rogers please extend wifi calling to all phones! Thank you.

revhappy
I plan to stick around
Has anyone heard any new developments on supporting greymarket devices for VoLTE and WiFi calling?

All my phone calls regularly go straight to voicemail if I have 2 out of 5 bars of signal on my S7. This support needs to happen sooner than later.

GDF01
I've been here awhile

Im in the same boat.. Bought a Note 8 (Bell branded but sold unlocked) and Volte and wifi calling are very important to me. I have tried numerous times with support but it turned out useless and just a waste of time. If they could do it for unlocked Iphones, they could do it for Samsung phones plain and simple. I have 4 lines with Rogers but im done waiting as we all know it will not happen in the near future. Im presently negotiating my 4 lines with Bell as i still have 3 lines with them and will be jumping ship in the following days. 

BS
I'm a senior advisor

I hear the frustration about WIFI calling feature and I have a similiar issue - in my case, my plan does not include data, and they will not provide WIFI calling if you don't have data - go figure.

My own view about this refusal to support non-branded "grey market phones", goes against the CRTC's principle of why they forced unlocked phones - to allow for ease of mobility and choice between companies.

I think that people in this position need to start to push this up to the CRTC as a deliberately round about method to keep restrictions on where you buy your phones now that locking is not available.

Just my opinion.

I look at it and if you consider that not that many years ago, you could get the blackberry build for any company off the Blackberry site as they controlled the development of the company feature set to ensure it did not conflict with their security.

I see no technical reason why Rogers cannot provide a Rogers build to install on your phone, they provide the APN settings and so forth so that you can call and MMS etc, why not provide the build they install on their phones, and then activate the IMEI for your phone in their system.

I can see them charging a reasonable charge to do this, and if unreasonable, the CRTC would probably restrict it anyway, so make the builds available, and let's stop with the excuse that they can't support it because it is not configured for their network - that was the argument for years as to why they had to lock the phones, and then why they had to lock it for 90 days - so you could enjoy the full feature set before considering other companies.

I may be wrong on this, I don't work in their technical department, but like I said, it is not that many years ago that if you needed to get the replacement build to reinstall the current Rogers build of a blackberry build, you could get it from Rogers, or you could go right to the Blackberry site for the build that matches your provider.

Call it for what it is, they are restricting a feature unless you buy their phone and providing no solution, such as add IMEI to the network and provide the software load to add the Rogers configuration.

Someone who knows more technology on this issue can correct me, but I just see it as one more of many strategies that all companies have prevented us from freeing our phones to use on other companies networks, whether it be locking, getting into exclusive agreements to be the first to put out Android Rich Text features and so forth, along with the locking/unlocking, contracts, subsidized phones, etc.  All are used to discourage us from buying a phone from somewhere else, or being able to walk away to go to another company.  The outcomes kind of speak for themselves.

You want our full feature set on your phone, buy the phone from us (even though the phone fully supports the feature set, it is just that configuration on the network and the phone has to be done at a deeper level to authorize it and make it work on the network). You want to lose our features, and not be able to get the features the competitor offers, then leave us - they all do it.

For now, the important thing is to know that every company restricts some options on their network if you have an unbranded phone, so yes, do unlock your phone, but when buying an unlocked phone and hoping to take it to your phone company, be aware that you may run into restrictions and do your homework.  If you really want the feature of WIFI - calling, then if you want it on Rogers network, you have to have a Rogers phone (we are trapped ;on that one for now), or the alternative is to look at the other WIFI calling apps and tools that are out there - it won't be your phone number on Rogers, but you will still be able to make phone calls.

I have a free Canada wide phone number and app that I use when I go to the hospital and need to make a call because Rogers signals can't get into the hospital building, but if you had Telus you could, so I fire up my WIFI and make the call on Phonego.

Yes, it stinks, but keep speaking up, pushing concerns upwards, and contacting CCTC and CRTC - I see it is just another work around the Wireless Code - they have chopped away at the 30 days notice, locking, making clear cancellation fees and subsidies pay backs, etc, this is just one more.

Bruce

Bruce

b-ry
I'm a reliable contributor

I just got a Pixel 2 the other week directly from Google (I wanted the Blue) and can personally confirm both VoLTE, LTE+ data, and Wi-Fi Calling have all been working great on the device (Running the required Android 8.1 update)

Didn't have to contact Rogers, just moved my sim over and setup the WiFi Calling as you normally would.

revhappy
I plan to stick around
Had you tried this 1-2 months ago, you would have been part of this outcry for support. Rogers recently finished development on supporting grey market Pixel 2s, though I haven't managed to find any public communication documents on it. There are a plethora of threads out there from non-Rogers Pixel 2 owners who didn't have this ability at launch. I'm not sure if Rogers will invest the same resources into other slightly older phones that aren't "Google" branded.

At this point, walking into a Rogers store and buying a phone outright seems to be the only way to take full advantage of these device features. This impending predicament is eerily similar to the class action lawsuit Apple was served by Rochon Genova.

Hi,

I previously had a Samsung Galaxy S6 which had VoLTE support. I have recently bought a Samsung Galaxy S9 direct from Samsung Canada. At the moment, I have been informed that VoLTE is not supported YET on this phone model. My question is because I bought this unlocked phone form Samsung, will it ever support WiFi-Calling and VoLTE? From reading all the forums, it seems Rogers is only supporting these advance features from phones bought direct from Rogers and no one else. I am concerned since I bought these phones unlocked (myself and spouse) that do support the feature since I want to take advantage of the native video calling which is included in my package.

Please comment and tell me where to find out if or NOT this will be supported.

Thanks,

Shawn.

revhappy
I plan to stick around
Hi Shawn,

Sadly, since you've gone straight to the OEM you have forfeited your ability to utilize this native Rogers feature.

As previous posts have expressed, phones that have been purchased outside of a Rogers store/branch fall into the "greymarket" category.

Welcome to the "waiting club" with potentially no commitment from Rogers to enable WiFi Calling and VoLTE. Oh, and if you call Samsung Canada, they won't be able to do anything; I've already tried.
Topic Stats