cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upfront Edge--total scam

Majimart
I've been here awhile

My 2 year term with Rogers is up April 11. 11 days ago, I contacted Rogers to say I wanted to cancel my term after it was up. I was asked if I was keeping my device. I said I was keeping one and returning the other. I wanted to keep my phone numbers because we have had thm 10+ years. It was not explained that I would have to also pay for my second device as the number was ported March 30. Why was this not explained to me at the same time as when I said I was keeping one device?? Of course I would have waited the 11 days otherwise! This is entirely non sensical. It just goes to show that you get screwed over when you are trying to be responsible. I really hope I never have to use Rogers again. I

***Added Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Upfront Edge--total scam

RogersYasmine

Good day @Majimart !

Thanks for being a part of the Rogers Community and for posting your concerns! I can understand your disappointment with the situation at hand. It's unclear to me as to whether or not you mentioned to the agent that you were planning to port the line out (resulting in the line being cancelled), prior to returning the device? The port out/cancellation would have been what triggered the charges, not returning it 11 days prior to the end of the agreement. Please note, customers are supposed to return the device within the final month of their 24-month contract, so the date you returned it is an acceptable timeframe. Ideally, you would have wanted to return the device first (within the final month of the agreement), and then once the return is processed, port out your line. Doing it this way would have kept you within the terms of the agreement and avoided any Upfront Edge charges from being applied.

We certainly try to be as transparent as possible when dealing with our valued customers. With regards to the Upfront Edge program, the details of the program and how it works would have been clearly outlined in the Terms & Conditions of the offer at the time of purchase. You can also find this info directly on our website here, and here as well (please see the FAQs).

I'll also post the information below for your reference:

What happens if I cancel or transfer my wireless services during my 2-year term?

If, for any reason, the wireless service you subscribed to when you purchased your device is cancelled or transferred, you may no longer participate in the Upfront Edge program and must repay your Upfront Edge Amount at the time of that cancellation. Once you cancel or transfer, you no longer have the option to return your device. We will charge the Upfront Edge Amount on your next bill along with any other applicable charges (e.g., your total outstanding device financing balance).

I hope this clarifies and we appreciate your understanding in this matter.

Kind regards,

RogersYasmine

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

RogersYasmine

Good day @Majimart !

Thanks for being a part of the Rogers Community and for posting your concerns! I can understand your disappointment with the situation at hand. It's unclear to me as to whether or not you mentioned to the agent that you were planning to port the line out (resulting in the line being cancelled), prior to returning the device? The port out/cancellation would have been what triggered the charges, not returning it 11 days prior to the end of the agreement. Please note, customers are supposed to return the device within the final month of their 24-month contract, so the date you returned it is an acceptable timeframe. Ideally, you would have wanted to return the device first (within the final month of the agreement), and then once the return is processed, port out your line. Doing it this way would have kept you within the terms of the agreement and avoided any Upfront Edge charges from being applied.

We certainly try to be as transparent as possible when dealing with our valued customers. With regards to the Upfront Edge program, the details of the program and how it works would have been clearly outlined in the Terms & Conditions of the offer at the time of purchase. You can also find this info directly on our website here, and here as well (please see the FAQs).

I'll also post the information below for your reference:

What happens if I cancel or transfer my wireless services during my 2-year term?

If, for any reason, the wireless service you subscribed to when you purchased your device is cancelled or transferred, you may no longer participate in the Upfront Edge program and must repay your Upfront Edge Amount at the time of that cancellation. Once you cancel or transfer, you no longer have the option to return your device. We will charge the Upfront Edge Amount on your next bill along with any other applicable charges (e.g., your total outstanding device financing balance).

I hope this clarifies and we appreciate your understanding in this matter.

Kind regards,

RogersYasmine

Majimart
I've been here awhile
Thanks for your message.
I asked the rep to cancel my account after April 11 as I did not want any other charges. I had 2 phones. I explained I am keeping one and will return the other. I was not told that I could not return the second phone. On all the bills it says I'll be charged if I don't return the phone at the end of the contract.
I was trying to be responsible and get my account taken care of, return the second phone etc before the term was up. Instead, I feel extremely ripped off and not valued as a long term customer. I have literally spent thousands with Rogers.

I am so disappointed in this customer service. The reps obviously did not take the time to listen to what I was trying to do. Looking at the dates alone, you think they would have said something about it, just as a warning. They are very concerned with reading off their script and anticipating answers/ trying to get you to upgrade and stay on as a customer. When I explained I no longer needed Rogers services, they stopped caring altogether.

Alex124
I've been here awhile

You are not alone. I was charged almost $1200 for two S21s that I was trying to return. I consider this is very unfair policy and it is tricking customers into unexpected trouble.

Before expiring the contract, I was wondering how to return the devices. On Rogers web, saying that bring the device to any Rogers store or call to the customer service to return the devices. I just followed it.  I was at a couple of rogers sales stores and made several calls with customer service, no one give proper instruction how this work. . After 14 days later, when I followed up as I didn't receive return kit as they promised during one of my call to rogers, I was told that I have breached the contract by porting number to the different provider. According to the rogers, I have to return their phones while keeping the number with rogers. So how practically, you can port a number if you don't have old phone with old sim? Because when porting a number, request from new service provider request a number porting and old service provider sent you a test for your approval of the number porting. How anyone can do it if you want to return the phone first before start using the new phone? 

they just wish you would get a new phone lease so they can keep you on monthly payments lol

Hello @Alex124 ,

Thanks for joining in the conversation. 🙂

Ideally, we would ask the customer if they have a temporary device that they can use to insert their existing SIM in order to approve/compete the port-out process. If that is not an option, we can also get them in touch with our Wireless Validation Team to verbally approve the port-out by phone.  

Hope this helps!

RogersYasmine

Alex124
I've been here awhile

Thank you for your response and for providing an explanation of the alternative method. However, as a customer, I, along with many others, was not aware of all of these methods, policies, and requirements. I had no idea that I couldn't port my number before returning the phones. On the Rogers website, it clearly states, 'Bring the device to any Rogers store or call customer service to return the devices.' Even when I visited the store, they simply instructed me to bring the device (which suggests that they themselves were not aware of this unusual policy). I fail to understand why there is an issue with porting my number and returning the device afterwards. Does porting my number mean that I no longer need to fulfill any financial obligations with Rogers? It seems unlikely that Rogers would implement such a policy. This policy itself is inherently unfair. I have returned various cable TV equipment, internet routers, and other rented items multiple times after cancelling services, and this is the first time I've encountered such an unpleasant situation.

Topic Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 in conversation