cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Premier vs. Premier Specialty Pack - What is this?

AL2020
I've been here awhile

I'm currently being charged for these 2 items, Premier is $32.48 and Premier Specialty Pack is $68.00.  I can't seem to find a channel line-up for the Specialty Pack, but when I look on the Premier list, it seems that's exactly all the channels I have, so why am I being billed for this Specialty Pack?  If Rogers renames what they offer, and show it itemized on Billing, then they should be transparent and show these channel line-ups on their website.  Am I overpaying?  Am I not navigating the Rogers website correctly?  Why can't I get a more clear itemized list of what the services that I'm apparently paying for?

***EDITED LABELS***

29 REPLIES 29

Re: Premier vs. Premier Specialty Pack - What is this?

Good day @francisd,

Welcome to the Rogers Community and thanks for your post! 

Knowing what is included in your TV package is key when you're trying to see if another bundle would be more benefitial for you.

Based on your inquiry, you may have a grandfathered plan. Are you able to confirm whether you have Ignite TV?

To see what's included in our current Premier package, click here.

If you feel like we should access your account for clarifications, check out this post above.

RogersMaude

couponlew
I've been around

I, too, came looking for answers to this question and found the usual Rogers runaround non-answer. As a large monopolistic corporation, Rogers does very well at taking their subscribers' payments and then providing service on the lowest end of the customer service scale. All of these evasive non-answers by your resident experts and moderators serve to irritate your long-standing customers to the point of firing you as their service provider.

mebe
I'm a trusted contributor

This is not rocket science ... It is Rogers science. 🚀

RogersMaude and the RE posters have answered the basics behind the question, but you didn't get specific channel answers because you didn't answer the important question that we want to know ... Is your Premier package an older grandfathered package? If the answer is Yes, or you don't know, the question you should then be asking is what channels will I lose if I switch from Premier (legacy digital), to something else (Popular, Select, etc.). To find that out, you can contact Rogers and ask for the pdf individual channel package info for your area. The price isn't listed, but you can ask them to tell you the prices of the various packages.

Back when this thread started, the price of the Premier package was possibly lower than it is now (I assume around $109.99 plus tax). But as a grandfathered subscriber (how are your knees?), in order to keep the price the same, while still giving you the same bonus channel selections, the billing system needs to fit a newer square peg into an older round hole, so it splits the Premier pack into a regular round peg, and a special round peg (that includes the pricing for channels you are no longer entitled to, unless you are a grandfathered subscriber). Once that total is calculated, it is subtracted from whatever the current price of the Premier pack is (in this case, probably $109.99), and that's the amount that is assigned to the other round peg. The specialty pack peg might include the pricing for the current channels that are part of the Premier pack, while the lower dollar amount might be the cost of the extra channels the grandfathered subscribers are still entitled to. The amounts can vary depending on when you subscribed to the package, and the region you live in. If you negotiated, or were given a lower package price, that can also affect the amounts listed on your bill. Even if you are not a grandfathered subscriber, package pricing could be split up based on which channels might be subject to an annual (or sooner) price increase, based on a contract with the various channel providers (unlikely scenario, but you never know what billing nonsense can occur).

So, what channels are we dealing with? It depends on when and where you were grandfathered?

In my 2021 Premier package pdf channel list (for Legacy Digital), I notice that it doesn't include MTV2 or Fox News Channel. So if you currently have those  two channels as part of your Premier package, you are a grandfather, or your area is better than mine.

As to finding out what specific channels are part of the Premier specialty pack or simply Premier (as listed on your bill), it might only be possible if the computer price calculations are analysed by a specific Rogers employee. However, since you can't cancel either group of channels separately (since they are combined into your one Premier package of $109.99, or whatever), you can simply compare the channels you currently have, with the current pdf of the Premier package to see what channels are missing.

If you don't want to contact Rogers, you can use Google and search for the Premier package with techdracula website as part of the search (it has fairly accurate 2023 Legacy digital channel listings  -- with same or similar errors for discontinued channels such as: Peachtree, BET, etc ).

Sincerely,
Bill Nye
(The Science Guy)

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

My parents used to be Digital TV Premier subscribers.  I will see if they can dig up an old bill and I will look at the line items.  If they have both Premier and Premier Specialty Pack, then this was simply how Rogers set up Premier in their billing system.

However, I think that we can also look at this from a common sense perspective.  With Premier being $32 and Premier Specialty Pack being $68, my guess regarding the breakdown would be that Premier gives you the basic cable channels and Premier Specialty Pack are the specialty channels that are included in Premier.

As @RogersMaude said in the solution post, the Premier and Premier Specialty Pack combined make up the Premier package; they cannot be separated and Rogers can only provide a channel listing for the entire Premier package.  As for why Rogers has separate line items for the Premier and Premier Specialty Pack?  Who knows.  It doesn't really matter.  Nobody is being evasive.  If you see something funny about your bill, simply send a private message to @CommunityHelps and they will provide clarification.

mebe
I'm a trusted contributor
And if people with the Popular package have no split-bill listings, even though they know they are grandfathered, that would also point to the @G common-sense theory.

Alert the Men in Black to erase all evidence of this "conspiracy" just in case this gets out to the masses. 🚨👓

Terry60
I've been around
Rogers, I live on Ottawa - centertown and have premiere and premiere speciality pack for 68$. What channels are included in my package? Thanks

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Terry60 wrote:
Rogers, I live on Ottawa - centertown and have premiere and premiere speciality pack for 68$. What channels are included in my package? Thanks

You can get this by sending a private message to @CommunityHelps  -- Provide them with your postal code and ask them to send you a Digital TV - Premier channel listing for your area.

i.ll go to the crtc and complain about  your failure to detail the packages.

or maybe, i'll go  to Bell.

JPS1958
I've been around

I too just came to this forum for answers.  You would think on the billing you should be able to click "My Extras" and see exactly what channels are part of the lineup.  Could this be any more vague?  

My TV Package

PREMIER

My Extras

Extra Channels
Premier Specialty Pack
DejaView

Premier

$41.48

Premier Specialty Pack

$68.00
I realize I haven't opted for the Ignite TV and this may be a legacy billing, but I would still like to know what I am paying over $100 and can't find this information.  No I have already asked a representative and she sent me a list of all the channels available in my area.
I want a reply publicly as whether you live in Amherstburg or Wawa, people have been asking this question and getting no results from Rogers.
Topic Stats