cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phantom call issue

mwilliams
I've been here awhile

I just got my bill and have a 121 minute call to Yankton SD costing me $66! Rogers is refusing to credit it saying their system says it’s a “valid call”, which it definitely isn’t!! Has anyone experienced this? How do you challenge incorrect billing?

Thanks all

***Added Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Phantom call issue

RogersMaude

Good evening @mwilliams,

Welcome to the Rogers Community and thank you for your post! Seeing higher amounts on your bill can be frustrating.

I understand you're not used to see long distance charges on your bill. However, did you take a look at your detailed invoice to see whether you're familiar with the phone number dialed from your device?

Did you allow someone to use your cellphone for a short amount of time or could it be a company you do business with? On our end, it's hard to justify that the call is not legitimate when it lasted over two hours.

Regardless, we'll be glad to take a look at your account if you need us to investigate further. Feel free to send us a PM @CommunityHelps so we can assist. For more information on how our private messaging system works, click here.

RogersMaude

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

RogersMaude

Good evening @mwilliams,

Welcome to the Rogers Community and thank you for your post! Seeing higher amounts on your bill can be frustrating.

I understand you're not used to see long distance charges on your bill. However, did you take a look at your detailed invoice to see whether you're familiar with the phone number dialed from your device?

Did you allow someone to use your cellphone for a short amount of time or could it be a company you do business with? On our end, it's hard to justify that the call is not legitimate when it lasted over two hours.

Regardless, we'll be glad to take a look at your account if you need us to investigate further. Feel free to send us a PM @CommunityHelps so we can assist. For more information on how our private messaging system works, click here.

RogersMaude

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

It's unacceptable that Rogers will  not cancel long distance charges for such fraudulent calls.  At least banks and credit card companies will cancel fraudulent charges.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

mwilliams
I've been here awhile
It is quite remarkable. I have spoken with the twitter @rogershelps and the online chat folks and get the same response - you have to pay it because we say it happened.

Checking the call log on my phone - no record of the call.

Reviewing my calendar that day I was in two meeting during that apparent 121 minute call - including a lunch meeting that required a drive across town. To suggest that I managed to carry on an 121 minute call to another country while participating in two meetings and driving across town is quite a feat.

On of the Rogers reps inquired as to whether I may just have forgotten the call? Hard to imagine the above set of circumstances!!

It’s remarkable to me that there is no way to appeal this?

@mwilliams, next stop, a complaint to the CRTC, which is actually made thru the Commission for Complaints for Telecom - Television Services, as found here:

https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/

Listening to the radio this afternoon, the announcer was interviewing someone about the thousands of complaints made to the CRTC.  Too bad I didn't catch the start of the interview.  One of the chief complaints, if not number one, was complaint handling process, or lack thereof, by the big companies, as in, yup, they hear you, but, nothing ever happens.  Ok, in that case, on to the CRTC, more specifically the CCTS. 

mwilliams
I've been here awhile
Thanks for the information, much appreciated!

@Datalink 

I read some of the written stuff about that yesterday.

Rogers and Bell's 'confirmed' complaints (I guess confirmed means that there was a confirmed bad thing of miss information, bad/wrongfull billing, etc, rather than just a 'I pay too much' sort of thing) were down from last year.  
Rogers in the 1500 complaint range, Bell over 5000.   Telus' numbers were up.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Phantom calls can also be caused by malware/viruses/spyware on your smart phone. some times its hidden so well and disguised so well and it makes calls and does not even show them in the call log on your device but it did infact make the call.

mwilliams
I've been here awhile
Is there any way to check for malware?

just like for your computer, there exists anti-virus and anti-malware apps for your phone too, some come with them from the factory, some have free basic versoins, some you have to pay for on the google app store

I have a similar issue with 2 x $16.5  to long distance locations.  Note, two calls for different durations of time for exactly the same end cost.  Like a third party was charging people for access.  …or, perish the thought, the company itself is creating ghost charges.   Having pursued the issue with Roger’s I was told the calls are legit.  I understand that it may ‘say’ it came from my SIM card, but this is data, and data can be masked.  Unhappy with Roger’s for not giving this problem due response…understand their position, but it is an arrogant PR stance.  

Topic Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 7 in conversation