cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I was told I cannot cancel only my TV subsciption as my phone requires it in order to operate

oshawaguy
I plan to stick around

Hello all,

Hoping someone can assist me, this is all confusing to me (Rogers unfortunately has made it worse with conflicting information).

A couple of months ago I contacted Rogers in order to move to a lower tier of TV due to a special expiring.  To make a long story short there were some delays and when I reached out again I was given the "Escalations Team/Management Office" and a phone number to try and correct the issue.

Upon calling this number and speaking to a manager there, I was advised that they could maintain my internet, TV and phone as separate entities, not paid as a bundle.  This worked for me since I told her we were considering cutting our cable out right in the future.

My wife and I didn't like the decreased basic cable package so I contacted online support to cancel just our cable.  After some confusion I was told we could not as our phone service 'requires" us to have cable.  Imagine my surprise when he offered to cancel both if we would like.  We need a phone obviously so I said I would reassess.

Has this happened to anyone else?  I cannot imagine Rogers being so bold as to hurt their bottom line by forcing people to cancel both products if they wish to cancel their TV.  This is particularly frustrating as I was told by a manager on the phone directly that they are separate products when I suggested I might cancel just my cable.

Our Bill it expresses them as separate products, not part of a bundle, so if this is a technical requirement someone at Rogers might rethink their marketing strategy.

Otherwise, I am all ears on an explanation.

Thanks in advance.

***Edited Labels***

4 REPLIES 4

Re: I was told I cannot cancel only my TV subsciption as my phone requires it in order to operate

Lurker_Returns
I'm a reliable contributor
Are you on Ignite TV, or the older digital cable?
Either way, you need at least Internet to use Rogers Home Phone, as it's a Voice Over IP (VOIP) service. But I cannot see why you'd need TV service to maintain the home phone. As long as you have internet, you should be ok.

Re: I was told I cannot cancel only my TV subsciption as my phone requires it in order to operate

oshawaguy
I plan to stick around

This was my logic as well and it surprised me.  Is there a way to request a Rogers Rep. that monitors this forum to respond or provide answers?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@oshawaguy  I just tried looking at this from another angle: I went to https://www.rogers.com/home-phone and tried to shop for Home Phone as a new customer.  The only way to obtain that service was to click the "Get with a bundle" button, which takes you to the Ignite TV + Internet page.

I also tried shopping for Ignite Internet, and there was no option to add Home Phone, at least not that I could see.

Looking at https://www.rogers.com/support/home-phone/ignite-how-it-works

That page says, "To activate the service, you must add Ignite Home Phone to an Ignite TV + Internet bundle."

With Ignite Internet, you get an Ignite Gateway with phone jacks.  I'm not aware of any technical reason why Rogers would not be able to offer you Home Phone as an option... it's just that at this time, they only appear to offer Ignite Home Phone as an add-on to Ignite TV + Internet.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@oshawaguy wrote:  My wife and I didn't like the decreased basic cable package so I contacted online support to cancel just our cable.  After some confusion I was told we could not as our phone service 'requires" us to have cable. 

If you stated it this way I could see why there is confusion. Cable refers to the connection to your home and there is no way for anything to work without "cable".  I assume what you meant to say was that you wished to cancel only TV and retain Internet and Home Phone.

That may be possible if you're still on Legacy Digital Cable, however, as stated in the post above, if you migrate to (or already have) IgniteTV, Home Phone is only added to "the IgniteTV bundle." (as a $10/mo option)

Just to add one more comment and that is that you cannot have Home Phone on its own.

Edit - Also, it doesn't really matter if it's a technical limitation or a business decision by Rogers as to whether certain options are available or not.

Topic Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 in conversation