cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding Internet to Digital TV?

leeg84
I'm here a lot

My girlfriend's parents do not currently have internet, they only have a OLD tv package which they refuse to give up. Due to the pandemic, it is getting increasingly difficult for them to keep in touch with family, so I bought them a tablet for family to face time them. So now we need Internet for them.  

So I called in for them, made it clear that they do not want to switch to the new service, but was told they can not get internet with their cable tv package, they have to switch to Ignite TV?. Is there any solution to this? Or will I have to look for a different provider for them?

They are very stubborn and want to keep their Digital Plus package. 

***Added Labels***

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Adding Internet to Digital TV?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@leeg84 wrote:

My girlfriend's parents do not currently have internet, they only have a OLD tv package which they refuse to give up. Due to the pandemic, it is getting increasingly difficult for them to keep in touch with family, so I bought them a tablet for family to face time them. So now we need Internet for them.  

So I called in for them, made it clear that they do not want to switch to the new service, but was told they can not get internet with their cable tv package, they have to switch to Ignite TV?. Is there any solution to this? Or will I have to look for a different provider for them?

The answer that you got from Rogers doesn't surprise me... and if they do sign up for Ignite Internet and are forced to switch to Ignite TV as well, they probably will not be allowed to self-install either and will likely have to wait months to get their Internet service activated.

Another option would be for them to get Internet from Fido.  Fido has always allowed self-installs and the fact that your girlfriend's parents are already Rogers customers makes this even easier since they already have a working cable service.  They can activate immediately, self-install, and keep their existing TV service.  Since their Internet needs are simple, they can also take advantage of lower-speed service offerings and save money as well.

Re: Adding Internet to Digital TV?

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

Try some of the other TPIA, like start.ca or execulink...etc. Better pricing and will be self install as well.

Good Luck.

Topic Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 in conversation