cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

upgrading netgear N300 ?

CoolHandLuke
I plan to stick around

Hi there,

is it possible to upgrade N300 wi fi router? And can it be plugged into my 8 port switch or it NEEDS to be directly connected to rogers Hitron router?

Im running out of 1GB connections and this 100mbps router is not helping.

I'd prefer it to plug in to the 1gb switch but it doesn't work. I think it may need to be configured?

thanks

*Added Labels*

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: upgrading netgear N300 ?

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The user is specifically talking about the N300 that is used for the smart home only.

The answer is YES, you can plug it into the switch.

You can go from the Rogers modem... to another gigabit swtich, then plug the rogers n300 into that.

That is the setup I have in my house.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor
Hitron in bridge mode? Router wan must be connected to hitron then rputer lan port can be connected to 1g switch for distribution to rest of lan

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The user is specifically talking about the N300 that is used for the smart home only.

The answer is YES, you can plug it into the switch.

You can go from the Rogers modem... to another gigabit swtich, then plug the rogers n300 into that.

That is the setup I have in my house.

CoolHandLuke
I plan to stick around
Thank you for your response.
Is it plug and play?

Should be.
It should connect out on its own.. and then the rogers security system re connect to it.

When the power goes out, etc.. everything on my end seems to re connect with no issues.

CoolHandLuke
I plan to stick around
Ok I’ll try it today and comment back.
I remember the technician saying that it has to be plugged into the Rogers router directly and if I’m not mistaken I tired to plug into my switch but it didn’t work..
But it’s been a while... I’ll check.
Thank you

CoolHandLuke
I plan to stick around
Plugged it into a switch so everything works as it should. I think what I had a problem with is having an additional router which takes an additional power plug. I really didn’t want that. I’m going to make some new Ethernet cables and re wire my entertainment Ethernet hungry devices.
Thanks again.
Topic Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 3 in conversation