cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart home monitoring camera issues

VarunM
I've been here awhile

I recently got the home monitoring system installed (door sensors, motion sensors, security cameras). The sensors work fine but I am very disappointed by the cameras. Some issues I noticed during the 1 week I've had these cameras:

1. I was told I could record 24/7 for 7 days by using an sd card in the tablet, I brought a brand new class 10 64 gb sd card and it recorded for 1 day but now the tablet says the sd card is corrupt. The card is working just fine as I can use it without issues on my computer.

2. There is only 100 clips per day upload limit. One of my cameras was set to medium sensitivity and within a matter of 2-3 hours it recorded 100 clips and filled the quota. I was suggested by the technician to keep the sensitivity low.

3. Cool-off time between motion sensing instances are so high.

4. BIGGEST ISSUE: Camera motion sensing sucks. I've had so many incidents where did not record clips when the motion actually happened but it did after the incident which is useless because that footage is of no use. 

Some examples:

1. I had a cat walk all the way from the end of my fence toward the camera and the camera only managed to capture a clip of the cats tail which is of no use to me because the face never got captured
  2. My car comes into the driveway at night and goes inside my garage (headlights brightly lit). The driveway camera only recorded a clip once my car was inside the garage. What use is this clip to me? I don't know what happened, what car came in, was there a person or not?
  3. A food delivery person walked over the driveway to drop off food and the camera did not even sense motion nor record a clip. Motion sensing is the whole point of this camera and it didn't do it!

On the other hand I have a nest doorbell which senses motion and notifies instantly. I get more activity and alerts from the doorbell than the 3 cameras I installed through Rogers. It's like the cameras just decide to work randomly rather than when you need them to work. I am still within the cancellation period of my contract and planning of returning these cameras but still keep the indoor sensors. I rather get my own cameras because anyway the camera monitoring from Rogers is not tied to emergency services.

*** Edited Labels ***

14 REPLIES 14

Re: Smart home monitoring camera issues

RogersTony

Hello, @VarunM

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

It's disappointing to hear that your experience with the smart home monitoring cameras has not been great thus far. We really appreciate all of the feedback you've provided and I will be happy to address your concerns.

You can definitely record 24/7 from 1 camera to an SD card but once you have inserted the card and set up the 24/7 recordings you should not remove the SD card without turning off the 24/7 recording or it will corrupt the card. Please format the card and reinstall it in the touchscreen and it should work again for continuous recordings. If you wish to save any portion of the recording, you must insert a USB drive in the touchscreen and download the recording file. This is the only way the recording will be unencrypted and able to view outside of the touchscreen.

With regards with to the video storage quota, you can subscribe to a Video and Picture Storage add-on which will bring your quotas to 600 videos and 1000 pictures per day. Regrettably, we are unable to adjust the cooldown time between motion sensing events.

If you are finding the camera is not detecting motion properly, we may need to adjust the mounting of the camera to get a better angle. A technician may be required for this, feel free to reach out to our Smart Home Monitoring technical support teams or send us a private message @CommunityHelps and we can get started on this for you.

Not familiar with our private messaging system? No worries, click here.

RogersTony

VarunM
I've been here awhile

Hi Tony,

Thanks for your response. For the SD card I had already removed the card formatted it and reinserted but it just keeps saying the card is corrupted. Even before that I never removed the camera to begin with, I was going through a days footage on the tablet and I noticed that the system stopped recording at a certain timestamp. So before removing the car I clicked the REC button again on the same camera but got the message that the card is corrupt and sometimes I get the message that insert a card which is weird since it is in the tablet.

For the motion sensors the camera mount angle is fine what does not work is the motion sensing which is so random. Like today it sensed a cat walk across my driveway but failed to again detect a human walk. If I increase the sensitivity then it detects even a headlight reflection from my neighbors driveway which takes up 1 clip for the day, so this way similar small instances take up clips if the sensitivity is set to medium instead of low.

I was told by the technician that these cameras are very old and haven't been upgraded for over 6 years but they are expecting new cameras soon, but didn't know when that soon would come.

Hello again, @VarunM

Thanks so much for those additional details. 

Do you have another SD card that you can try in the touchscreen to see if it is able to recognize it and record? Please ensure to format the card before inserting it into touchscreen.

If it is not working even with another SD card there could be an issue with the touchscreen. We would need to have a technician out to look into that for you. If you do not have another SD card to test we can still have a technician out. Feel free to send us a private message or reach out to our Smart Home Monitoring technical support teams to have a service call booked.

RogersTony

Leo-R
I've been around

I've been using Rogers Home Monitoring for over a year now and I've been complaining for months now that in order to get the video recording I need to reboot the touch pad every day. Last technician that came said it is a software issue from Rogers but man when this will be solved? I know for a fact the issue is not with the SD card that gets full and won't overwrite it. Can someone help on making this thing working for good?

Hello, @Leo-R

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! 🙂

Thank you for posting your concern to our community. I know how important it is for your camera system to record properly so you know what's going on in your home.

You definitely should not have to reboot the touchpad daily for the continuous recording feature to work properly. We will need to escalate a ticket so we can investigate this for you fully and ensure you are notified once we have an update. Please send us a private message @CommunityHelps so we can get started on this for you.

RogersTony

AlisonMB
I've been around

I've had Rogers Home monitoring for 5+ years and an open ticket since March 7,2019 for the very issue that its doesn't record 24/7.  I called yesterday and was told that the 24/7 recording is a free feature!! So essentially don't complain if it doesn't work because its simply "added value". Clearly I pay $50 every month for the monitoring and not the clips.  I have also been told at least 4 times since last spring that the recording was moving to the cloud but still nothing.  I asked to have my ticket escalated so I could speak to a manager and it now 36 hours later and no call. I have been with Rogers for 25 years and have ALL my services - home phone, cell, TV, Internet and home monitoring  and I'm getting pretty frustrated.  The reason I have home monitoring is because when we were building this house we had a break and had 40K worth of building supplies and flooring stolen.  Now the only way I can catch a thief is off a 15 second video clip that only takes a clip every 3 minutes...so no chance.

Hello, @AlisonMB

I can imagine how frustrating it has been dealing with this issue with your recordings for such a long time. We definitely want to take a closer look at this and see what is causing the delay in resolution. Please send us a private message @CommunityHelps so we can gather your info and get started.

RogersTony

lamccarney
I've been around
Same issues. It sucks. Rogers shouldn’t be in the home security if they can provide up to date service that is competitive.

GlennKing
I've been here awhile

Last night we had my wife's car broke into and stuff stolen. The video camera from my home monitoring system is pointed directly at her car. There was no video taken all night. So we never got a chance to see who may have done this. The camera records video fine during the day, however, there is sometimes a lag between the actual start of a video and what had already happened. If this system is not any better than this, I think I will have it removed and get something better. If it does not do what we bought it for what is the use of having it.

Hello, @GlennKing

I can only imagine how frustrating it is to have any sort of break-in at your home or involving your vehicle. We definitely want to look into this to see why the camera didn't work as intended.

Please reach out to our Smart Home Monitoring technical support team via Phone or Live chat by visiting Rogers.com/Contactus.

RogersTony

A_3
I've been around
I have the same issue. I just got my camera installed 2 weeks ago and let my dog in the backyard at 12 and 1:30 am and the camera did not pick it up. I have been noticing the gas being turned on my bbq.

It picks up in the day but not the night. I agree. What is the point of the camera if it cannot pick up in the night?

I will have to call to see what they say. I was told to put the sensitivity on medium. Will have to look for another camera from another company soon and fast.

My experience is same as those above.  I have complained for years about the intermittent cameras and was told by a technician that they are NOT designed for continuous monitoring.   My neighbour's camera caught a thief coming into our drive way and attempting to gain entry to our two cars, right in front of the camera and security light. NOTHING was recorded.  He did steal my neighbour's car.  I also have 24/7 recording but, guess what?  That WASN'T WORKING either. I had to reboot the system.  Tech said I had to check every two days to see if it was still functioning and reboot it if needed. 

This is an extremely frustrating issue and when I really needed the system to work, it didn't, except for the raccoon it captured.  I am currently reviewing my options but will probably put in my own camera system and may move to another security company. Crazy.

It is interesting to note that I am not the only one having these isues.

GlennKing
I've been here awhile

I ended up getting rid of my Rogers home monitoring and putting in my own monitoring system because the Rogers system just does not work when you need it to. Rogers tech was no help, I kept being told to reboot the system. I am pretty tech-savvy and to be told to reboot the system was a joke. I think I could figure that out myself. Anyway, my new system works a heck of a lot better and records and alarms us when there is someone or something in our driveway any time of the day or night.

nixxythekitty
I've been here awhile

I'm on the same boat, my cameras work in and out and I've been having non stop problems with their hardware since I engaged with Rogers. imho, Rogers should've been the ones who ran initial testing on this hardware to determine if customers will complain or not. Bad quality assurance for the customer is the problem here.

Topic Stats
  • 14 replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 9 in conversation