PayGo top up account confusion.

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: PayGo top up account confusion.

Thanks for the quick response and comments.

That is what I am confused and worried about. Instead of using the top up process, if I had paid my annual subscription directly, my balance would have risen from $250 to $350 (My balance is actually quite higher than that).  This is what has happened over the years. There was a monthly deduction for the 911 service, but that was that. I was only charged for any calls I made, hence the high balance.

What you are saying is that I am now paying an annual subscription fee and still have to pay for any calls. This is  totally different from my previous payments. Is this a new program? Certainly I was never notified that my annual payment did not count towards the cost of calls - that is why I signed up for the Pay As You Go plan.

Am I missing something? It seems to me there is a new process and change in my "original contract" when I signed up for the PAYG program. I am even more confused now.    

I'm a Senior Advisor

Littleboyblue wrote:

This top process is very confusing to me.

Today Rogers allowed me to top up from my existing Pay As You Go balance for next year. However they have taken off $100 for the top up. Does this mean that the $100 will be credited to my account when the renewal date comes along? Or does this  mean they will deduct amounts from the new balance every time I make a call after the renewal date?

Put another way: If my balance is $250 and I purchase another $100 worth for the next year (ignoring for the moment the $150 limit in December 2018), my new balance becomes $350 and calls etc. are deducted from this amount.

With the top up plan I would assume that my balance remains at $250 i.e. I have just "paid" Rogers for the  next year. If not then is Rogers double dipping as they are "charging" me $100 (for the top up) for the renewal and also, it appears, for any new calls?   So, my  question again is - what is the $100 top up used for?

Can anyone please help clarify this confusing point

Obviously you have been paying $100 + tax each year to maintain your PayGo plan but not using that much in air time each year,  so your balance has built up. Some years ago I received a letter from Rogers that my balance was over $200 and I could use $100 from it to renew for another year "for free".  That's what I did and have been doing it every year I had a balance well over $100. There is no way to do it on line, so you have to call. Many people like me who use their cellphones only occasionally instead of all day long benefit from paying $100/year for the service, which works out to just $8.33 + tax a month. And if you don't use up your balance in a year, you can draw $100 (no tax) from it to renew whenever there is enough and it works to a whole lot less. But if you have just been paying $100 each year and built up a huge balance because you don't use $100 in a year, then at least you get to use $100 of it for another year "for free".  Rogers has stated that at the end of 2018 PayGo balances will be capped at $150 so you will lose anything over that.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Littleboyblue: Check out the recent threads in the PAYGo forum. Especially the one on Maximum balance, PAYGo changes, etc.  Various people have different viewpoints on what is best for them.

For example, I've used the $100 from my account several times in the past few years to get my PAYGo payments down to an average of around $75 per year over the past 10 years, which I feel is a good deal.

Other people disagree, based on their viewpoint which is based on a $/minute calculation, so you have to decide which is more important $/minute, or $/year.

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi,

The $10 Talk & Text plan for Pay As You Go, shows that there is a $10 Monthly Service Fee and includes 50 texts and 50 minutes of anytime local calls.

Are those 50 texts and 50 minutes included each month? Or is that per year?

And can we top up for only $10 each month using voucher cards? I seem to remember some restriction if topping up less than $20 per month.

And does any remaining balance get carried forward and added to the next $10 top up with this plan?

I've been using about 65 minutes and 45 texts per month with an old plan (By the Minute - Talk All Day plan), and using $100 vouchers to top up, and so this is costing over $300 per year, which is too much.

In contrast, in looks like this $10 Talk & Text plan would cost $120 per year, and I'd only use about $4.50 per month above the 50 included minutes, so I'd also accumulate a carry forward balance of about $66 per year.

Am I correct in this thinking, or missing something? Thanks for any help.

Good day @unun4848,

Thanks for your post! Making sure you're familiar with the plans you're thinking of switching for is key to ensure you got the best options to suit your needs adequately.

The $10 Talk & Text plan Includes the following, monthly:

50 Canadian/U.S. and international text, picture and video messages

35¢/message for international text messages

75¢/message for U.S./international picture and video messages

50 minutes of anytime local calls

30¢/minute for additional usage

50¢/minute for Canadian and U.S. long distance calls

The $10 plan does include 50 minutes and 50 texts, per month, but if you think you'll be using more than 50 minutes of airtime, you'll need to add funds to your balance to ensure your phone line continues to place and receive phone calls. Any amount you've added that was not used up will carry over.

Hope this helps!

RogersMaude

I Plan to Stick Around

With the $10 Talk & Text plan, is there a way to know through My Rogers how many minutes we've used during the month or how many minutes remain of the 50 minutes? Likewise for the 50 text messages. Thanks.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@unun4848 : I don't have that exact plan, however, when I login using MyRogers to my PAYGo account, I can click "View Call/Transaction History". It should show your calls, texts, balance, transactions, etc...

Note that the list of transactions that is "kept" is not very long, so you need to take screenshots or do printouts in order to have a history, if you want to keep older information.

I Plan to Stick Around

With the $10 Talk & Text plan, do we need to explicitly top up each month, or will $10 be taken from our balance each month? I think I read that if our balance is greater than $10, the top up would automatically be taken from our balance each month. But I've also read that if we don't top up each month, we would lose our balance.

Good day @unun4848,

Thanks for your post!

I understand your need to make sure your account is successfully topped up, in order for you to stay connected at all times.

Please check out this Support Article for more information. I'd like to direct your attention to the Topping up your balance section.

You can also check out this thread for details about the Top-Up process.

Don't hesitate to let us know if you have any other questions!

RogersMaude

I'm a Trusted Contributor

@RogersMaude wrote:

Good day @unun4848,

Thanks for your post!

I understand your need to make sure you're account is successfully topped up, in order for you to stay connected at all times.

Please check out this Support Article for more information. I'd like to direct your attention to the Topping up your balance section.

You can also check out this thread for details about the Top-Up process.

Don't hesitate to let us know if you have any other questions!

RogersMaude

Just to cut to the chase ..... if @unun4848  bought a $40 voucher and applied it to their account  ....  if they are on the $10 a month plan  would Rogers take away their balance  at the end of the month because their expiry date is to short  or will they take the $10 out and carry on as long as the balance in the account is sufficient at renewal time . According to the info referred to above Rogers would take the balance ... but that seems a little silly .  

So according to the info referred to it would seem the only way  to avoid monthly payments would be to add $100 at a time  so the expiry is extended for a year  or go with the auto top up  ? 

And what happened to the $50 for 6 months deal ? 

Topic Stats
  • 44 replies
  • 10 Likes
  • 13 in conversation