cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No/Low reception at Metrotown

Eric1021
I've been here awhile
Hi,

When I’m at Metrotown (Burnaby), the reception/data connection is very slow - almost to none. I can have full bar showing on my iPhone but apps/messages don’t go through. Once I step out of Metrotown, everything works fine. But when I’m inside Metrotown, I can’t even send messages nor search through Google Maps. This started to occur around end of October 2023 (both Fido and Rogers). It’s very inconvenient.
15 REPLIES 15

Re: No/Low reception at Metrotown

RogersYasmine

Good day @Eric1021 ,

Welcome to our community forums and thanks for posting about your wireless reception issue. 🙂

It's really strange that the problem seems to only occur while in that specified location! Do you happen to know if any other Rogers or non-Rogers users are experiencing the same type of thing? Have you tried rebooting your device and retesting? What is the make/model of your device, please?

We look forward to your response!

RogersYasmine

Eric1021
I've been here awhile

Hi Yasmine,

Thank you  for the response 🙂

Yeah it's definitely weird because once I leave the mall, my reception works as normal.

I talked to the Rogers branch in the mall and they confirmed that the reception is really poor lately in the mall.

Back in October - November 2023, I was still with Fido and I started noticing this issue. My girlfriend who's with Fido and I (Rogers) are both still experiencing this issue.

We didn't try rebooting our devices because once we walk out of the mall, we have full reception. So it's not really the phone's issue in my opinion.

I have the iPhone 15 Pro Max and my girlfriend has the iPhone 12 Pro Max.

Thanks!

Hmm
I'm a reliable contributor

Eric, this is a known [internal] issue but isn't publicly acknowledged. The mall always had great coverage in the past.

By my estimates, It has been going on since July 2023, if not longer. You need to force your phone onto one of the working Rogers-EXT bands and everything will be fine...until it switches back to automatic.

It's ironic because the Rogers Tower is right there and in the past, this was one of the best locations in the city including inside the mall.

As far other advice you might get, you might as well jump up and down and pray to the sun gods. That'll be just as effective as the canned and scripted responses Rogers will tell you to perform. 

Sadly, the Rogers technical support at Tier 1 has extremely limited training and knowledge on the matter. I've been battling this issue and a call forwarding issue since re-joining Rogers/Fido.

Hmm

Both my spouse and I are. Different devices, both on Rogers.

Eric1021
I've been here awhile

Thank you for the response!

I'll definitely try changing my Network Selection to one of the Rogers-EXT bands.

But yeah, never had this issue until late 2023. It's quite inconvenient as we either have to connect to a store's WiFi or get out of the mall to see messages. 

I haven't seen any threads for this on this forum nor on Reddit (or maybe I just didn't find it). Hopefully Rogers will acknowledge this issue and get to it. 

Before switching to Rogers, I went to Fido to ask and they just said: "Nope, never heard anyone complain nor do we have that issue." Trying to not acknowledge the issue haha. 

Hmm

@Eric1021 Changing your network selection from automatic to manual and selecting Rogers-Ext will definitely work. I can't remember if it's the first or second Rogers-Ext. You may have to toggle airplane mode and keep it off for 30 or more seconds if you choose the non-working Rogers-Ext. It'll show SOS.

Long ago when I was at the Willingdon Costco I toggled the Rogers-Ext and I'd be roaming onto Telus. But Rogers did something since then and I remained on Rogers with the ip address now registered to Rogers in Ontario in Rogers-Ext. 

And yeah. Nothing on Reddit, Bard, or Bing Co-Pilot either. I remain stumped why but our phone works for calls, just not data in Metrotown. Congestion is certainly a major factor, but that's not the only reason. Perhaps Mall administration and Rogers had a spat and removed their cellular repeaters or enhancers in the mall. 

DJ22
I've been around
I'm with Fido and I am experiencing the same exact issue. The connection is slow to none inside the mall.

Hmm

I wouldn't expect anything different. Same network. What I don't expect is the gaslighting and official denial of the issue. 

Good morning!

If you're experiencing a data access issue at this location and you haven't yet reached out to us to have a ticket escalated, then I would like to help.

Please free to send a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can assist you further. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, you can find out more here.  

Regards,

RogersCorey

phobos
I've been around

This afternoon I found myself unable to access the internet. On either one of my data lines, a physical sim and e-sim. Both lines work when making phone calls and text messages work, and I have 5G with 5 bars on my iPhone.

I'm guessing there's a network routing issue. I haven't been to Metrotown in years, but my wife and friends tell me the same thing.

Later I thought it was working, only to realize I was standing outside the Apple Store. LOL.

Hmm

It's definitely a network saturation, congestion, node issue. 

was in Metroscum earlier in the week and while the speeds weren't great (Freedom Mobile was much faster) there was connectivity and LTE speeds were around 15 Mbps compared to none during a typical weekend. I tested in front of the Rogers (formerly Shaw corporate store). The staff there deny there's any issue likely fearing retaliation from management.

I recall long before Covid, LTE speeds there were well above 50 Mbps. I'd avoid using your Rogers phone during any major summer events like in downtown. Unlike Telus, Rogers doesn't seem interested in investing much in their infrastructure unlike back east. 

Good morning!

Should you be experiencing an reception issue that is preventing you from accessing data, we would want to investigate and potentially escalate issue for further investigation.

Please feel free to send a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can assist you further. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, you can find out more here.  

Regards,

RogersCorey

Hmm

@RogersCorey "Should you be experiencing an reception issue that is preventing you from accessing data," 

Thanks for the laugh! We really enjoy bot-like scripted and helpful responses. It doesn't frustrate us at all. 

Seriously. Was there any effort made to review the content in this thread? 

Additionally, has reporting network issues to Rogers via 611 been replaced by the @communithelps like Public Mobile where all their support is now forum based?  

Hmm

My recommendation remains the same: continue reaching out to tech support. 

Hmm

The issue is still present. My advice remains the same. Contact tech support via 611. However, be prepared for the trivial and scripted responses like reset your network settings, reboot your phone, and more.  Most importantly,  don't give up.

Feel free to escalate the issue through the Rogers Office of the President via CCTS regarding service issues and the inability to use 911. Search online for CCTS (file a complaint). They document all these complaints and present them to the CRTC and Federal Government. 

Topic Stats
  • 15 replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 6 in conversation