I've been here awhile

As 3g service is being discontinued in the US in 2022

Any plans for Rogers?

• 3G
13 REPLIES 13

Re: 3 G service plans to discontinue?

RogersTony

Hello, @gerrymacd

Thanks so much for posting your concerns in our community.

I can understand how important it is to know when your 3G devices will no longer be supported. You can find out more about this by visiting here.

RogersTony

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Here's the news on 2G/3G:

https://bsav.ca/important-notice-regarding-upcoming-2g-3g-changes-on-the-rogers-network/

• ...regarding the Rogers Network. Customers with IoT devices utilizing the 2G/3G network and operating on 1900 MHz frequency band have an additional  3 months of service. Sunset is now scheduled for March 31st, 2021.
  • Customers with IoT devices utilizing the 2G network and operating on 850 MHz frequency band have an additional 12 months of service. Sunset is now scheduled for December 31st, 2021.
  • 3G 850 MHz and 3G dual band devices that utilize 850 MHz will NOT Sunset before December 31,2025.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
I find it a little ironic that the info about Rogers shutting down 2G or 3G is no where to be found on THEIR website, yet its found on someone elses website ie BSAV.ca

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

How can I tell if my LG-E410B 3G phone operates on the 1900 MHz frequency band? I can't find anything in the specs.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I searched the phone model on the web and found the following in the first hit:

https://www.gsmarena.com/lg_optimus_l1_ii_e410-5608.php

https://www.movical.net/au-en/features/lg/e410b-optimus-l1-ii

Expand the "Network" line and it shows:

2G bands GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
3G bands HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100

Looks like you're good until the end of 2025.

JKnott
I'm a reliable contributor

I have noticed something curious on the VoLTE FAQ.  According to it, VoLTE won't work in the Extended Coverage areas or Northwestern Ontario.  But with 2G and 3G being shut down, that will leave people unable to make calls in those areas.  I trust this will be corrected before the shutdown.

"Where can I use VoLTE?

In Canada you can use VoLTE where ever you have an LTE connection on the Rogers network. VoLTE will not work in Extended Coverage (EXT) areas or Northwestern Ontario. "

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Per post 3 of this thread, Rogers 3G/850 MHz is good until the end of 2025, assuming your phone has it.

JKnott

Yes, but that wasn't my point.  Sooner or later, 3G will be gone.  If VoLTE doesn't work in those areas, then what?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

...That will be 4 years from now.  

JKnott

Here's some more info. According to this, 850 MHz 3G will be shut down by Dec 31, 2025. 1900 MHz 3G has been shut down, as has 2G.  This chart also shows 5G, but not yet on 1900 MHz.  Rogers is getting ready to roll out 5G there and on 3.5 GHz C band.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I stopped using 3G years ago. All my phones are 4G LTE (VOLTE) capable at a minimum

JKnott

@Pauly wrote:

I stopped using 3G years ago. All my phones are 4G LTE (VOLTE) capable at a minimum

Me too.  However there are still some devices that are still 3G.  They'll now be only on 850 MHz.  I have a Google Pixel 6, which supports 5G.

BTW, you might have still been using 3G, if you were ever in an area that didn't have 4G.  It takes a while to roll out new tech to the entire country.  I had one trip to Bancroft, Ont. a few years ago, and I couldn't even get 3G, let alone 4G.  On that trip, when I as setting up a VoIP phone system for a major company, I found they didn't even have a T1 line for the phone network there.  So, some parts of the country might not have much better than 2 cans and a string.  😉

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@57 wrote:

https://bsav.ca/important-notice-regarding-upcoming-2g-3g-changes-on-the-rogers-network/

• ...regarding the Rogers Network. Customers with IoT devices utilizing the 2G/3G network and operating on 1900 MHz frequency band have an additional  3 months of service. Sunset is now scheduled for March 31st, 2021.
  • Customers with IoT devices utilizing the 2G network and operating on 850 MHz frequency band have an additional 12 months of service. Sunset is now scheduled for December 31st, 2021.
  • 3G 850 MHz and 3G dual band devices that utilize 850 MHz will NOT Sunset before December 31,2025.

Despite the information in my earlier post, Rogers will be ending 3G  as early as March 31, 2025.  I'm assuming at that time they will have to open up LTE (4G) for people on Pre-paid plans, as other carriers have already done.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2024/04/02/rogers-will-start-to-sunset-its-3g-network-in-march-2025-report/?...

Topic Stats
  • 13 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 6 in conversation