cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PST Charged in Alberta on BC Area Code

golfandfish
I've been here awhile

I recently moved from BC to Alberta. My cell plan was with Zoomer Wireless through Cityphone who uses the Rogers System.  Now in Alberta I am with Fido through Rogers.  Since I brought my B.C. phone number that is Canada wide, I am charged PST.  As well, just to change to an Alberta number, I will be charged $50.00.  We needed an Alberta number for our condo intercom, and I was able to change my wife’s number to an Alberta number in B.C. through Cityphone/Zoomer.  Why?

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: PST Charged in Alberta on BC Area Code

RogersZia

Good evening @golfandfish!

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

I hope you had a hassle-free move.

The taxes for the monthly recurring service charges are billed according to the province where the Rogers number is registered (area code). So even though you've moved to Alberta, your taxes for the BC number will be billed according to British Columbia.

As far as the cellphone number change is concerned, a $50 charge applies if you change your wireless number through a customer care representative. Changing your wireless number is free when you do so via self-serve in MyRogers.

For more information and to learn how to change your number, please check out the "Change a wireless number" article on our website :). 

RogersZia

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

RogersZia

Good evening @golfandfish!

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

I hope you had a hassle-free move.

The taxes for the monthly recurring service charges are billed according to the province where the Rogers number is registered (area code). So even though you've moved to Alberta, your taxes for the BC number will be billed according to British Columbia.

As far as the cellphone number change is concerned, a $50 charge applies if you change your wireless number through a customer care representative. Changing your wireless number is free when you do so via self-serve in MyRogers.

For more information and to learn how to change your number, please check out the "Change a wireless number" article on our website :). 

RogersZia

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hi Rogers Zia, thanks for the detailed explanation, it makes perfect sense to me, hope it helps answer the poster's  question

This makes absolutely no sense and according to both provincial and federal tax law completely illegal. Tax law states tax is determined as per residency not your phone numbers area code, even the competition (Telus) states that tax is based on where you live not your phone number. This is not only illegal but makes zero sense when you file your taxes in Alberta how do you claim the BC PST on your cell phone. This is an internal policy and does not conform to tax legislation.

golfandfish
I've been here awhile

I totally agree.  When I moved back to Alberta from B.C.   I was being charged PST so I had to change my phone number to eliminate the tax.  Totally stupid!

Topic Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 in conversation