cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite TV App Web Version Requires Flash?

Philip144
I plan to stick around

This App requires Adobe Flash when using Windows 10 Pro and Edge (Developers Beta).  Microsoft has indicated Flash will not be supported after December 2020 by any of it's browsers.  Will Rogers be addressing this problem (and please don't point me to Chrome, just answer the question).

*Added Labels*

70 REPLIES 70

Re: Ignite TV App Web Version Requires Flash?

senordd
I plan to stick around

Any news on when they'll have this running? They only have 3-4 weeks before it's completely disabled.

DrMike
I'm a trusted contributor

Ignite TV on Web: Flash Player? Really?

So I am still very new to Ignite, having just installed a few days ago so still very much in learning curve mode.

Yesterday I went to the Rogers website at https://ignitetv.rogers.com/ and was astonished to see this:

FireShot Capture 266 -  - ignitetv.rogers.com.jpg

I can, for now, enable Flash on a case by case basis, but surely Rogers is leaving it till the last second to update their site, since Flash is going bye-bye any day now?  What happens when Chrome support for Flash is gone - isn't that happening this month? Literally?

Any feedback @CommunityHelps on this? 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@DrMike : Looks like your post was moved to this existing thread. See post 35 for some feedback...

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@DrMike wrote:

What happens when Chrome support for Flash is gone - isn't that happening this month? Literally?

Adobe will cease supporting Flash Player after December 31, 2020.  On January 12, 2021, Flash Player itself will block Flash content from running.

KimC1971
I've been here awhile

How has this question not been answered yet!??  It astounding to me that it is now December, we've been warned that Flash is on its way out for months, and Rogers has not yet notified customers of how to watch ignite on the internet!?  Its utterly unbelievable.  

KimC1971
I've been here awhile
THAT's your answer? And this important piece of information is buried in a forum 3 pages in? How about communicating these plans properly and transparently to the customers who pay a fortune for these services!???

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor
Because the whole X1 platform Rogers uses is controlled by Comcast in the US, it has just not been done yet. Comcast did not make the switch themselves until earlier in the fall. In the US they did it area by area, but I suspect for Rogers they will just pull the trigger. I suspect December 30th 🙂

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@KimC1971 wrote:
THAT's your answer? And this important piece of information is buried in a forum 3 pages in? How about communicating these plans properly and transparently to the customers who pay a fortune for these services!???

Don't be too hard on the Mods here.  They can't provide any details as to what problems or solutions that the engineering teams are working on, nor can they update us on the status of internal projects or products that have not been released yet.

I've mentioned before that migrating the Ignite TV online app from Adobe Flash/Primetime to HTML5 is not a trivial task.  However, I don't know what could be holding up the migration.  Comcast has already migrated.  Shaw still lists Flash as a system requirement for their BlueCurve TV online app and in their FAQ, but users have also reported in their Forums that they are no longer getting prompted to activate the Flash Player in their browsers.

This appears to be a solved problem.  We just need to wait for Rogers to get this done.

Bplayer

Edge browser 87.0.664.60 on Win 10 now plays recorded programs with Flash being blocked. There is a little symbol in the search bar that says "Flash was blocked on this page".

Opening the same Ignite page on Firefox pops up a message that Flash is required.

Looks like a work-in-progress, so they are getting there.

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor
I use Brave most of the time (Chrome based) still tries to load Flash. I tried Safari It says incompatible with Safari 14. On Edge 87.0.664.66 on Win 10 it wants to set up Flash.

schmidtp
I plan to stick around

So, what's the deal now???

This is not unanticipated and Mother Comcast has solutions so Rogers, what is going to happen? More importantly when? 12 days and counting.

This problem only came up to my attention yesterday as he Ignite set top box died. I now have to watch TV on my IMac. Safari won't work as Flash is no longer supported with it. I had to download Firefox and go through an ominous task to install flash and that will finish working on 31 December too.

As an aside, a bizarre situation with the Ignite set top box. It died, as I said. You cannot get a replacement one at the local Rogers store as they seem not to be a Ignite store??? You have to call Rogers and after a 35 minute wait to be told that they are not Ignite and they need to forward you to Ignite help...and another 35 minute wait. Then to be told that the will have to send me a box in 2 or 3 days. I asked if one of the numerous Rogers trucks driving around had boxes and he said yes. I asked why they cannot drop one off to me and they said no, that is not the process??? It has to be mailed out??

Geez Rogers....get it together please!

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor
When I needed a replacement box, twice, it was a tech that dropped it off. Note, he left me the old power supplies which make a great USB C quick charger for phones 😉

schmidtp
I plan to stick around
Sorry for going off topic. I just wanted folks to know how stupid the replacement"process" is.
I only realized rhte Flash issue when the boxes died and I was tryig to cast the image to the TV. When I could not becasue Flash is not supported on the Mac that I questioned Rogers timelessness. I am till wondering when Rogers s going to replace the flash requirement as the end is nigh LOL

kc880
I've been around

Looks like it works now on Edge Chrome.  No errors or warning messages, just works without flash.  

schmidtp
I plan to stick around
I believe I said on a Mac...

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor
I never use Safari, but I just fired it up to confirm it works fine.

Philip144
I plan to stick around

I use Microsoft Edge DEV Version 89.0.731.0 (Official build) dev (64-bit) and as of today it works fine.  Trust a communications company to be the absolute worst at communications with its customers!

schmidtp
I plan to stick around

Great for you. Not for me.
Bottom line is that Rogers has not done anything for the demise of Flash. 132 posts have expressed that.

The poster above me said it best, trust a communications company to have such poor communication of an issue everyone is aware of.

Bplayer

This is primarily a user community forum, and users pretty promptly stated that the Ignite playback dependency on Flash seems to have gone away. It is working for me on Windows browsers and iPhone. Are you suggesting that it is not working in Safari on your iMac?

Where exactly would you like Rogers to make a public statement about this change?

Philip144
I plan to stick around

On this forum when the topic first arises.

schmidtp
I plan to stick around
Safari 14 no longer supports Flash....a statement from Apple. Ignite does not work on my MacBook or IMac. It is OK on my IPad. Rogers has been asked in this forum and others about what they are going to do when Flash becomes unsupportable and does not address the situation.
Topic Stats