Re: what modem is rogers using

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The modem/gateways are listed here: https://www.rogers.com/support/internet

As far as I know, the current standard is as follows:

Ignite 150u Internet customers get the Gen 1 (XB6) Ignite WiFi Gateway

Ignite 500u and Gigabit Internet customers get the Gen 2 (XB7) WiFi Gateway

Ignite 2.5Gbps and 8Gbps (FTTH) Internet customers will get the Gen 3 (XB8) WiFi Gateway

What customers get is also subject to availability, so 150u customers may also get an XB7 gateway if that is all that is available.  The XB6 can also be used by 500u and Gigabit Internet customers.

Although the XB8 is listed on the support page and has been shown in Rogers advertisements on TV, I don't know whether it is actually available yet.  I'm pretty sure that 2.5 Gbps Internet customers are currently getting the XB7.

For the foreseeable future, Rogers will almost certainly also restrict who will qualify to get the XB8.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The modem/gateways are listed here: https://www.rogers.com/support/internet

As far as I know, the current standard is as follows:

Ignite 150u Internet customers get the Gen 1 (XB6) Ignite WiFi Gateway

Ignite 500u and Gigabit Internet customers get the Gen 2 (XB7) WiFi Gateway

Ignite 2.5Gbps and 8Gbps (FTTH) Internet customers will get the Gen 3 (XB8) WiFi Gateway

What customers get is also subject to availability, so 150u customers may also get an XB7 gateway if that is all that is available.  The XB6 can also be used by 500u and Gigabit Internet customers.

Although the XB8 is listed on the support page and has been shown in Rogers advertisements on TV, I don't know whether it is actually available yet.  I'm pretty sure that 2.5 Gbps Internet customers are currently getting the XB7.

For the foreseeable future, Rogers will almost certainly also restrict who will qualify to get the XB8.

Pejmank
I'm here a lot

thanks for providing this info.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Further to my previous post, Rogers.com / Shop / Internet now lists the gateways that you qualify for with each Internet package:

Powerful WiFi 5 technology refers to the Gen 1 (XB6) Gateway

Powerful WiFi 6 technology refers to the Gen 2 (XB7) Gateway

Powerful WiFi 6E technology refers to the Gen 3 (XB8) Gateway

From what I have heard, the XB8 gateway is still in short supply and not easy to get.  (There is also little advantage to getting the XB8 vs. the XB7 unless you run in "gateway" mode and actually have Wi-Fi 6E devices that can connect on the 6 GHz band.)

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 3 in conversation