installing a vpn on my modem

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: installing a vpn on my modem

Your trying to set up a VPN to connect INWARDS to your internal network?

With the right forwarding, it MAY be possible?  Never seen anyone try it with without being in bridge mode though.. 

I've Been Here Awhile

yes, i'm trying to forward either IPSec ports or PPTP ports from the rogers router into MY vpn router...

i have the ports defined in the rogers router to forward to my router, but the packets don't seem to be hitting my cisco. 

i did figure out vpn passthru is an outbound term.

i'd rather not do bridge mode if i can help it, my son is a gamer and i'd rather he not have his traffic pass through my vpn router, so i've got him plugged into the rogers router on one LAN port and my cisco on another LAN port

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

what ports is it trying to use?

many have found that there are some ports which appear RESERVED on the unit in gateway mode.

I wonder if that is whats happening here.

Changing the ports to NON standard, might help?
IE:  If its trying to connect via say 443 (which may be reserved) try a different like 10443.

I've Been Here Awhile

Openvpn throttled

i have openvpn with two vpn providers. My problems started during this spring, downloads started to become slower and slower then i said maybe its my vpn provider who is throttling me so i went with PIA as they are known not to throttle and are very fast. throttling still occurs. When i do a speed test i sometimes get over 200mbs but the problem happens immediatelly after the speed test when i do the second or third or when i download or browse the internet, my speeds immediately drop to 10-20mbs in speed tests but in actual world usage its between 5-10mbs. I thought the crtc banned throttling so why am i being throttled? Yes i am experienced a bit and i have tried openvpn through modem with firewall enabled  through modem without firewall (bridge) and computer connected directly to it and openvpn on and also through my router that supports openvpn. Please can someone answer why this is happening? I dont even bother calling tech support because they will immediatelly say its my vpn provider plus i recently switched from 250mbs to 1gbps hoping that the vpn issue disapears.it didnt.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I dont think its throttling in my opinion.

I also have PIA, and when in use, the speed tests are much slower than compared to the connection just on its own.

BUT.. thats also to possibly be expected.

Take a comparison of speed tests on speedtest.net.  
Do your standard speedtest of a LOCAL one.
Now take one on a different providers local.
Start choosing locations father away.

All of the sudden your speed starts dropping more and more you move away, or even just to a different provider locally.

As you do these, the routing changes.. and potentially takes much longer/more hops for the data to travel.
And the speed slowing down.

Going through a VPN.. could be increasing the distance/number of hops for the speed tests.
IE: If your choosing LOCAL speed test.. but using the VPN.. it could be going from here.. to a location much father away, then back, etc.

I've Been Here Awhile

when i first got pia i was reaching 500-600mbs constantly. now i hover around 700kb to 1mb . i use toronto servers or montreal. there is throtling somewhere its either rogers or pia. most likelly roger because i had a vpn service provider before and still have him and the same issue. so rogers. this started happening this spring. and i al;so have to make a correction when i first made the post i got do speed tests at around 200mbs now its 10-15 mbs!!!! i am not joking or anithing like that i am gonna try reaching pia maybe they throttle me.

I've Been Here Awhile

Rogers is definitely messing with VPN connections. A torrent download of ubuntu should receieve 2+MB/s but its stuck at 500kB/s. Add another or three and the overall speed is magically still 500kB/s.

Without VPN can max my 100u connection easily.

Rogers, hands off our internet!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mrhexen wrote:

Rogers is definitely messing with VPN connections. A torrent download of ubuntu should receieve 2+MB/s but its stuck at 500kB/s. Add another or three and the overall speed is magically still 500kB/s.

Without VPN can max my 100u connection easily.

Rogers, hands off our internet!

that would be against the rules in Canada, I highly doubt Rogers would take that risk. 

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

I would like to setup a open VPN or other connection directly on the Hitron CODA-4582 modem.  Could someone please tell me how to do this?

Thanks

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mahomed sorry but you can't load any other firmware or software on the modem.  Applications such as OpenVPN clients have to run on a router or pc, so you would have to kick the modem into Bridge mode and use a router which runs OpenVPN, or leave the modem in Gateway mode and run OpenVPN on a pc.  Since OpenVPN is a single thread application, it will only run as fast as the host processor allows.  Multi-core and threaded processors will only run one core for OpenVPN.  

In order to obtain the highest performance out of OpenVPN, or any other VPN application, you need to use a processor that has hardware encryption and that runs AES-NI (Advanced Encryption Standard New Instructions).  

Here's an online article that may be of interest:

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/blog/2018/08/hardware-acceleration-is-here-for-routers-using-o...