cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Youtube Download Slowing Down Causing Buffer possible CDN issue

roofed
I plan to stick around

So For the Past Few Days I have Noticed Youtube Is not watchable i did some testing and nothing points to my connection having a problem this all points to youtube/rogers CDN servers failing as some "Stream Host" seem to be working but almost all of them dont. This problem is on browsers as for trying this on mobile android youtube app 720p60 seems to hold a stable 13mbps while on pc 1080p60 seems to start @ 50000kbps to a min 1000kbps. My internet speed is fine line quality is good while doing the test i had twitch.tv streams running on source no drops nothing in bandwidth flow same for downloading tested on multiple browsers Firefox| Chrome

Below is a gif showing what happens Notice how the "stream host" changes and bandwidth begins to drop

https://gfycat.com/GrimyGiddyKagu

***Edited Labels***

320 REPLIES 320

Re: Youtube Download Slowing Down Causing Buffer possible CDN issue

Joxer
I plan to stick around

The answer is Rogers.  We are Rogers customers, and most of us are just google's product (advertiser targets).  In any event, we don't deserve to be lied to and led astray into futile attempts to 'fix' the issue wasting our time and in many cases Roger's own techs as they come out to inspect our connections, hardware etc.  They are the Internet Service Provider and they are not providing reasonable access to this specific service.  People shouldn't have to know the ins and outs of the technical reasons why their 1Gbps service crawls at *under* 1Kbps, this is Roger's responsibility.  I really don't care if the run a CDN or not, I only care about the end user experience, which sucks.  And from yes, way before and additional load from people at home, and at any hour of the day or night, not just to ease peak use times.

AccordXTC
I'm a reliable contributor

I was talking with someone from the Office Of The President but after that first phone call I never have got a call back in over a week! I have a case open with the CRTC currently and will follow this through. I'm not sure why they think customers will give up but I for one will not. 

forcefed
I plan to stick around

@Datalink i'm going to try going your route, you can right click on a video when its stuttering and select stats for nerds then right click again and select troubleshooting playback issue and send youtube a screenshot of the issue that you're having and add some kind words that your rogers 1gbps connection can't stream videos.

I can't even play this video at 1440p let alone 4k, my speedtest is north of 800mbps right now https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXb3EKWsInQ

Amdfantoronto
I plan to stick around
Update for everyone. I upgraded my modem to the latest ignite model and I am even using YouTube with Rogers smartstream. I am experiencing the same issues. Getting single digits mbps and YouTube videos can barely play over 720p. This issue is with all of my devices, even Rogers smart stream. Netflix and Amazon run great however. Rogers please reach out to YouTube. This is a big problem.

AccordXTC
@Amdfantoronto You'll want to reread our posts to know this is not a YouTube issue, this is a Rogers issue. Read the post on how you can voice your concern and add to the effected customers.

Joxer
I plan to stick around

Today after several days of using the VPN I got a slowdown watching a 1080p video - it had gone down to 480p, making me question whether Rogers was always to blame.  However, I noticed that the last time I enabled Internet Sharing from my Mac to my TV I had inadvertently shared my Wifi (plain Rogers) rather than my VPN connection.  Reset that and everything was smooth sailing again instantly.

KoN1
I plan to stick around

One is not like the other.

No VPN

novpn.png

VPN

vpn.png

I think that says it all.

forcefed
I plan to stick around
KoN1 is someone throttling your connection down to 8mbps? Who can it be? 🤔🤔🤔🤔

KoN1
I plan to stick around

Just tested at 11:30pm..... and?

Untitled.png

Yup... peak time throttling my other test was at 5:30pm

or they fixed it cause I submitted a support ticket but I doubt it.

KoN1
I plan to stick around

Surprise Surprise,

Just got a text from Rogers "Thanks for reporting a problem with your Ignite TV. We have been unable to identify an issue at this time. If you're still having an issue, please contact us."

What abysmal support.

forcefed
I plan to stick around
Send them a link to this thread

KoN1
I plan to stick around

Yah I did, they still won't acknowledge the issue. Like I said abysmal support.

AccordXTC

I'm currently working on this and have provided the links to this thread as well as the one  off DSLReports site. I also have opened a new CCTS case as well. Will post more as it progresses. 

AccordXTC

So after speaking with the Office Of The President, I was advised:

"Regarding the YouTube issue, she noted that she escalated a ticket which resulted in no fault found. They were unable to replicate the issue and she recommended troubleshooting this as a signal fault issue"

Questions is what hardware was used for testing and what YouTube stream / quality was used. I doubt I will get an honest answer to that questions because that would require actually testing the issue out properly. I've made it quite clear that I will not let this issue go unresolved and will continue to beat this dead horse till its properly addressed. Anyone who would like to work with me directly, feel free to PM me as we can have Rogers see how many people are dealing with this issue.

Joxer
I plan to stick around

Just got off the phone as well with Rogers regarding my CCTS complaint.

Seems pretty clear that they will continue to say that I have great internet speeds and this is an unresolved issue, trying to avoid any blame for what they are actively doing to screw over the YouTube streams.  Man I hate Bell, but this one issue is making me hate Rogers even more.  I do have Fibe available here so speed is definitely not a Rogers plus - only not being actively when I've been a customer at this address for nearly 30 years.

Amdfantoronto
I plan to stick around
6 year cx at my address and performance on YouTube is worse than ever. I’ve upgraded to ignite with smartstream and I’m getting constant buffering on YouTube. I pay for YouTube premium. My tickets have been closed as resolved but the issues persist. My performance is so variable. Goes from 100 down to 5 mbps constantly on most videos. My wife can’t watch anything on YouTube.

With the recent firmware issued to my modem, manual channel selection has now been disabled. The router is defaulting to a busy channel that is shared by many of my neighbours in my apartment complex. I can no longer get a strong signal in my bedroom. It gets worse as time goes on with this service. I can’t understand the decisions being made here

@Amdfantoronto do you have any pods in use or are you using the router as a standalone device.  I'm guessing here that you have Ignite TV with the XB6 modem.  If you only have the modem, you should be able to turn off the Band Steering and Auto Channel.  If you have pods running, then the system defaults down to the lower 5 Ghz channels.  I presume that this is where the problem arises as the lower 5 Ghz wifi channels are restricted to 200 milli-watts while the upper 5 Ghz channels are allow to run 1 watt max.  So, that power output difference will make a difference in the max usable range from the modem if you're using a 5 Ghz wifi channel.   @-G- can add hopefully add more comments on wifi channel selection.

Amdfantoronto
I plan to stick around
There is no option to disable band steering. I’m using standalone modem with smartstream. As soon as I select a channel manually and save it defaults to a locked channel 44 on manual mode. I’ve been factory resetting the modem to gain manual control but as soon as I save the change it locks to manual and 44 again.

The latest firmware locks settings a few minutes after factory reset and displays the message “ Wi-Fi Mode, Security Mode, Channel Selection, Channel Mode, and Channel Bandwidth are being managed automatically to help optimize your home Wi-Fi network and improve Wi-Fi coverage. To edit your Wi-Fi Network Name & Network password, please download the Rogers Ignite WiFi app or visit”

Advanced users need access to these settings for multi dwelling units. There are too many users on the same channels