cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi issues with xb7 modem

Tomsaw
I've been here awhile

Hi, I recently switched to Rogers 1gb plan and recieved a xb7 modem first day after install I have been getting speeds of 35mb they zapped my internet got speeds of 200mb and it has been fluctuating from 300-500 lately...

I got a router and my speeds are around 800mbs I even put my router right next to the modem and my speed on my phone from the modem is 450 and from router I'm getting 800... Does this sound like a defective modem?
The techs have already changed the line from my house to the street as well which did nothing

***Edited Labels***

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Wifi issues with xb7 modem

RogersJermaine

Hi @Tomsaw,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums and thank you for your post. I can imagine how disappointing it is after upgrading to see your speeds not be what you are expecting. We certainly want to investigate this for you and try to find a solution.

Thank you for the information provided regarding the troubleshooting already completed and some of the technician work as well. To further find out if there is an issue with the modem can you provide us with a bit more information?

Have you completed a speed test using a device connected via Ethernet with all other devices disconnected from the modem?
Can you confirm what tool you are using to test the speeds?
(If you are using speedtest.net, can you also try to ensure the test server used is one that is closest to your location)

We look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
RogersJermaine

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Tomsaw wrote:

I got a router and my speeds are around 800mbs I even put my router right next to the modem and my speed on my phone from the modem is 450 and from router I'm getting 800... Does this sound like a defective modem?
The techs have already changed the line from my house to the street as well which did nothing

Just to clarify, are you measuring 800 Mb/s with a speed test in the following configuration?

Computer <--(WiFi connection)--> Router <--(GigE connection)--> XB7 <---> Internet

Do you have any other devices connected to your router's WiFi or just your computer?  (If it's just your computer, then you could be getting better speed test results because no other devices with poor WiFi connectivity would be degrading the performance of your WiFi network)

When directly connected to your XB7 via WiFi, how many devices are are also connected?  Do you have active devices with marginal WiFi connectivity?  ...because that will slow down your speed tests, even if your computer is only a few feet from the gateway.

The XB7 actually has decent WiFi performance.  I measure 750 Mb/s with Ookla using an M1 MacBook connected to an XB7 gateway over WiFi, and that's with a 500u Internet service.  I can't get any faster than that, even with a wired Ethernet connection.

Tomsaw
I've been here awhile
I believe I may have figured it out.
I think the modem automatically switches my network to 2.4ghz from 5 but I can't have dual band on the modem is this normal on the xb7 modems? To not have 2 wifi names like 2.4 and 5ghz?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Tomsaw wrote:
I believe I may have figured it out.
I think the modem automatically switches my network to 2.4ghz from 5 but I can't have dual band on the modem is this normal on the xb7 modems? To not have 2 wifi names like 2.4 and 5ghz?

It is normal for the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands to have the same name.  Band Steering would also be enabled in this configuration.  However, it is not normal for a 5 GHz device to get bumped to the 2.4 GHz band unless there are either stability or load-related issues on the 5GHz band that would make using the 2.4 GHz band preferable.

Is it possible to assign different names to the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands on the Ignite gateway but this option is not available if you have Ignite Pods.

Tomsaw
I've been here awhile
I just checked I have 8 devices connected to it.
-The router
-nest thermostat
-samsung s20 x 2
-ring door bell +chime
Smart garage door opener
And a printer

And right now it seems the wifi symbol on my phone went from having the wifi 6 symbol to regular symbol and it's on 2.4ghz

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Tomsaw Regarding WiFi 6, the XB7 supports 802.11ax but does not support WPA3, and some devices have a problem with this combination and/or other quirks of the XB7's WiFi drivers.  If you are running into stability issues on the 5 GHz band, try disabling AX support and running the 5 GHz radio in A/N/AC mode.

Topic Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 in conversation