I've been around

Poor communication in second floor and basement

***Added Labels***

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Wi-Fi connectivity to parts of the home

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

care to elaborate on what you mean by poor communication?

Re: Wi-Fi connectivity to parts of the home

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Pauly wrote:

care to elaborate on what you mean by poor communication?

It's a safe guess that @Tianam  is complaining about poor/slow Wi-Fi connectivity from the modem/gateway to those parts of the home.

That's actually a very common problem.  Let's take the example of a home, with a family room at the rear of the house.  The family spends lots of time there, needs good Wi-Fi connectivity, and it's a logical place to install the Wi-Fi modem/gateway.  Unfortunately for Wi-Fi, the large wall between the family room and the front of the house is also often the wall that the architects and builders choose to run plumbing, electrical, duct work, hot and cold air returns, etc. from the basement to the second floor, and that blocks the Wi-Fi signal.

The basement is also a problematic location from a Wi-Fi perspective, also primarily because of duct work and other types of building construction that block Wi-Fi signals.  It's often a bad location to install a Wi-Fi gateway and/or for getting Wi-Fi connectivity.

You can still install the Wi-Fi gateway in the family room (or even the basement) but you need to be careful where you place it.  You need to consider your home's construction and find some way to get good Wi-Fi connectivity to the rest of the home.

For one family member, I was able to find a "gap" where Wi-Fi signals could pass, and there the Ignite gateway could provide good coverage throughout the home.  (If you move the gateway to the left or right even a few inches, Wi-Fi connectivity to other parts of the home will become horrible.)

For another family member, it was harder but I was able find a "gap" where the Ignite gateway could get good connectivity to an Ignite WiFi Pod upstairs.  The modem in the family room provided good coverage to the rear of the home and to the bedroom above; the Pod provided good connectivity to the rest of the home.

In my case, I actually have my Ignite gateway installed in the basement but have Wi-Fi access points in my family room and upstairs in a mesh configuration, and they connect to the network (and to each other) over wired Ethernet.  I don't need to worry about the "problem wall" in my family room.

Topic Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 in conversation