cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to Verify Send-only Email Addresses

gc8086
I plan to stick around

I spent over an hour on the phone with Rogers Support before the agent gave up and said he couldn't help. I'm hoping this forum can.

My issue is with SEND-ONLY EMAIL ADDRESSES. If you're not familiar with them, they allow you to create up to 9 email addresses as aliases to your main Rogers email address. For example, if your Rogers email is johndoe@rogers.com, you could create jd@rogers.com as an alias. Then, when creating an email, you could change the From address from johndoe@rogers.com to jd@rogers.com
Before the alias will work Yahoo/Rogers requires the email address to be verified. They follow the standard procedure of sending an email to the alias address. You have to open it and click on a link to verify it.

That's where my problem comes in. When I try add a send-only address, the system comes back saying "Confirmation email sent failed".

Here's a link to the Help Page for send-only addresses: https://ca.help.yahoo.com/kb/rogers/new-mail-for-desktop/add-delete-edit-send-only-address-rogers-ya....

Does anyone have any idea how I can resolve this issue?

*** Edited Labels ***

64 REPLIES 64

Re: Unable to Verify Send-only Email Addresses

japples
I plan to stick around

Okay. Mine is working now.

I had the idea to try updating my port from the old "25" which has been working nicely until now, to "465" which is the one they recommend at present.

I did try "465" this past week with no resolution so I know that wasn't what was wrong.

gc8086
I plan to stick around

25 is the original mail server communication port. However, it is plain text (no encryption). Port 465 is used for encrypted communication.

DaHammerman
I plan to stick around

It's baaaaaaaack!!!!

Was fixed late last week. Now it's back.
Can't send.
What's up with that. Please have your people go back and talk to Yahoo's people so that they can fix it AGAIN so that I can send emails to my people.

What is going on here? Still no explanation.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Mine's still working (I just tried two of my e-mail addresses as a test).

Yes, it would be nice to know what the cause was.  @CommunityHelps ?

DaHammerman
I plan to stick around

Can you issue a new ticket for this issue. Was fixed but then stopped working over the weekend.

And can you update us? This is just dragging on.

Tech support is not helping. Keep saying it's not a problem on their end and just me.
Which isn't supported by the people posting here.....and again they are the tip of the iceberg.

japples
I plan to stick around

Hope they clear this up  for you.

Mine is still working but it wold be nice if they gave us all an update to let us know they looked into the cause, told us what it was so that we could be ready if it happened again.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@DaHammerman wrote:

Can you issue a new ticket for this issue. Was fixed but then stopped working over the weekend.

You may need to PM the mods again.  The solution may have been specific for each e-mail address rather than global...

DaHammerman
I plan to stick around

I didn't change anything though.

One day it just worked....I kept forgetting and sending replies from my outlook and then realizing they weren't going out and having to use the web mail...then one day I forgot again...and just as I remembered and checked it went out...boom.

JKnott
I'm a reliable contributor

I have my email app configured for IMAPS (port 993), which I have been using for years.  Suddenly, it stopped working this morning, while I was using it.  I cannot log in, but the web interface still works fine.  I have verified the settings and password.  This is with Seamonkey.  I also tried in Thunderbird and get the same results.  For some reason, I cannot log in with an email client.  Has anyone else experienced this?

tnx jk

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Looks like your post was moved to this thread.  A couple of weeks ago several of us had issues sending e-mails from our e-mail clients like Outlook. (receiving was fine).  Here's the link to my original post...

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Unable-to-Verify-Send-only-Email-Addresses/m-p/459697...

Most of us had our clients restored to proper functionality after PM'ing @CommunityHelps .  We never did find out what the problem was...

Make sure your settings are good.  Just because they worked for years doesn't mean they'll continue to work forever.  Here's the link:

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/email-setup

JKnott

As I mentioned, I was using it, when it suddenly failed.  So, I would expect my settings were correct, but I verified them to be sure.  I have been using that account all week.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes, ours also suddenly stopped working properly despite having the appropriate settings.  Not everyone's failed at the same time.  PM @CommunityHelps 

JKnott

Your previous post said you had problems sending.  What about receiving?  I can't even log in.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I believe that all of the people in the thread had sending only issues and receiving e-mail was fine. I don't know what you mean by "login".  On Outlook as soon as you launch the app it sends and received e-mails automatically.  I can also ask it to send/receive at any time when the app is open by clicking that button.  I got an error message as outlined in the thread.

The only place I need to login is Webmail and that was functioning just fine for sending and receiving.

JKnott

When you use an email app, it will initially ask for a password, if you haven't already set it when creating the account.  Then, when you connect, it will automatically send the name and password.  It's only when this fails that you get a pop up error message.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Have you created an App Password for your client?  Although an App PW was necessary for some as early as 2017, some people are only now being affected.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Email-address-isn-t-recognized/m-p/449498#M57566

JKnott

When I first tried it, a few years ago, it didn't work properly.  I have it going now, though it was a bit flakey at first.  I'll have to see how it goes.

This information is irrelevant. The problem has nothing to do with client settings.

The problem is that send-only email addresses do not work. Send-only addresses allow you to put a different address in your From header lines. This is useful if, like I do, you have your own domain, and you want to use your email client to send email that appears to come from your domain. I can use my domain provider's webmail service to send email, but if I want to use my email client, which is the only practical means of sending email on my phone's small screen, I am forced to use Rogers provided SMTP service, which refuses to accept mail with a From header line containing any address except my rogers email address.

On the settings->more settings->Mailboxes page, you can add a send-only email address. The verification process for  sometimes works, sometimes doesn't, and in any case, all verified send-only email addresses will revert to unverified after a short period of time. The "resend email" link that is supposed to resend a verification email does nothing.

This is has been a problem for years. I have spoken to Rogers about this, and they shift the blame to Yahoo!. There is no obvious way to report these issues to Yahoo!

I have stopped using my Rogers email. I urge all Rogers customers to do the same.

ThatTate
I plan to stick around

Anyone else run into this same issue over the past week?

Running port 587 SMPT on Mac Mail, and it is suddenly 'stuck in inbox', no matter what hack-arounds I try. Wondering if something changed on the Rogers back-end. I'm trying to uncheck SSL, but it's forcing it to stay SSL.

Thanks in advance.

Greetings @ThatTate!

It sounds like your port settings aren't correct.

Please have a look at this site for the correct settings: https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/email-setup

Regards,

RogersCorey

gc8086
I plan to stick around

Sorry @RogersCorey, that's not the answer, at least not in my case. I can send email, and receive it. I just cannot send from certain send-only addresses I would like to use. Some years ago, a change was made at Rogers or Yahoo that made it impossible to verify send-only addresses. I called Rogers Support numerous times but got no satisfaction. I finally gave up when the support tech told me it was a Yahoo issue and good luck trying to get support from them.

Topic Stats
  • 64 replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 11 in conversation