cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to Verify Send-only Email Addresses

gc8086
I plan to stick around

I spent over an hour on the phone with Rogers Support before the agent gave up and said he couldn't help. I'm hoping this forum can.

My issue is with SEND-ONLY EMAIL ADDRESSES. If you're not familiar with them, they allow you to create up to 9 email addresses as aliases to your main Rogers email address. For example, if your Rogers email is johndoe@rogers.com, you could create jd@rogers.com as an alias. Then, when creating an email, you could change the From address from johndoe@rogers.com to jd@rogers.com
Before the alias will work Yahoo/Rogers requires the email address to be verified. They follow the standard procedure of sending an email to the alias address. You have to open it and click on a link to verify it.

That's where my problem comes in. When I try add a send-only address, the system comes back saying "Confirmation email sent failed".

Here's a link to the Help Page for send-only addresses: https://ca.help.yahoo.com/kb/rogers/new-mail-for-desktop/add-delete-edit-send-only-address-rogers-ya....

Does anyone have any idea how I can resolve this issue?

*** Edited Labels ***

64 REPLIES 64

Re: Unable to Verify Send-only Email Addresses

gc8086
I plan to stick around

I'm not using OL or OLE, but here are my settings:

SMTP host: smtp.broadband.rogers.com

SMTP port: 465

SMTP authentication: Rogers/Yahoo email address (WITHOUT THE @rogers.com). This is major difference I see from the other posted settings.

SSL: v2/3

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@gc8086 wrote:  In the SSL email address, I have only the email address name. I do not have the "@rogers.com" part.

In the Outlook Options under SSL I have "use incoming server info".  I also have the option to put in the e-mail address and password, however, that makes no difference, so I leave the "incoming server info" checked instead.  In all other places of the user setup I have the full e-mail address including the @rogers.com. I believe the @rogers.com portion became necessary a few years ago for me (and many others). There's a thread on that too starting around 2017 or so.

If I change the User settings to the name without the @rogers.com, then I get an error retrieving e-mail, which I do not get with the @rogers.com present - so that's definitely going in the wrong direction.  I only have issues with sending e-mails and only in Outlook.

Did you try adding the "@rogers.com"? And where do you have these settings? Some other e-mail client?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

In order to ensure that my Outlook account information wasn't corrupt, I created a brand new account.  After testing, it didn't work for sending either. It did work for receiving.  I double-checked all the account settings.

DaHammerman
I plan to stick around

Yep me too...starting last Thursday very suddenly stopped working.
One hour on the phone with support./
They said no one else has issues and it must be me because my webmail is working.
I've tried everything. Detect and repair, reauthorize device...played with the configs, ports, used smtp,nl....and so on and so on. Archived my mail, cleared junk folders thinking it was my outlook....turns out everyone has the same issue starting around the same time.
Hah!!!!!
Clearly this is a systemic problem
Rogers Customer Service ARE YOU LISTENING HERE?????? 

japples
I plan to stick around

Apparently they are not listening. The techs told me it was an issue with me too, and that nobody else has the issue.

None of the techs (online support, phone techs, in house Rogers techs) really listened to what I was trying to tell them and weren't interested in reviewing this thread when I pointed them here.  They also don't seem to be able to communicate with each other.

I guess because there aren't too many people left using email software programs they don't care to put any resources into it. Or, the technicians are only good at following a script. Meaning assessing problems within a certain frame only and can't really problem solve outside of that frame.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@japples wrote:     Apparently they are not listening.

I have found the same with most CSRs.  They are mostly minimum wage (or close to) people who follow a script.  Sometimes you'll get connected to someone at second-level and that can be better.

I have had over 100 interactions with Rogers technical support over the years and I have found that PM'ing the @CommunityHelps people here is often the best course of action if the problem affects a number of people (and even if it's only you).  I provide a link to the thread (if appropriate) and I've always found them to be most responsive.

I did that in this instance and received a follow-up call from Rogers yesterday evening requesting a few additional details and confirmation of other details.  The issue has gone to engineering and should be looked at within 24-48 hours.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Even though I have Rogers broadband, I do NOT use their provided e-mail, because I have moved in the past and do not want to risk losing my email if I leave or cancel.

I am however with Yahoo! mail, and noticed the Send-Only email feature is a Yahoo specific feature, not a rogers one, and since Yahoo! powers rogers mail services, if there is an issue with it, then Rogers would have to escalate the problem to Yahoo to fix.,

I am not sure how the OP's question got morphed into having trouble using your Send Only email via an email client like outlook, but I think the problems people are having is because the Send Only email only works in a web mail portal and NOT via the email clients such as outlook express or outlook. if it in fact worked in the past maybe it was a pure fluke?

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Another thing, I can definitely try adding a Send-only email address to my YAHOO! email account, if it gives me the SAME error as the OP is having, then that means its NOT a rogers problem and only Yahoo! can fix it.

gc8086
I plan to stick around

That would be great Pauly. Looking forward to seeing how it works (or doesn't) for you.

japples
I plan to stick around

Thanks for the info Pauly.  It helps to know that it is likely a Yahoo issue as many have suspected.

And 57 - "The issue has gone to engineering and should be looked at within 24-48 hours."

That's great. let me know what they say.

Can receive, but not send email using Outlook Express

Hi Laura

I first encountered this problem a couple of weeks ago, and it came out of nowhere.  As indicated in the subject line, I currently have no trouble receiving emails on my four Outlook Express accounts, but when trying to send any messages I repeatedly get  the following error message:  "Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'POP 1 ', Server: smtp.broadband.rogers.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 465, Secure(SSL): Yes, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F."  An Internet search of the problem was of no help, nor neither were the three attempts - two via chat and one via phone - I made with Rogers Support staff to try and find a resolution.  Though the three different Support gentlemen I dealt with did their best to help me, in the end, I'm still unable to send email messages.  Over the past decade, I've had no trouble at all receiving or sending messages using my existing Outlook Express accounts.  Having made no changes in a very long time to those accounts, and after carefully rechecking the account settings and workarounds you so kindly provided in your post and finding nothing amiss, I'm now at a loss to determine what to try next ..... other than tossing this computer off my apartment balcony.  🙂  Thankfully, at least, my Rogers Yahoo web accounts are all working fine and, if worse comes to worse, I could use those as my default accounts, though I'd still prefer to stick with Outlook Express and Windows XP, dated as they are. 

Besides sharing my frustration concerning this matter, I write this in the hope that you or someone else on this forum might have another possible solution to the problem.  (Though "problem" is a word used a few times here, I well appreciate the fact that, considering the tragedy of Covid-19 and the sadness it's causing throughout the world, my computer "problem" amounts to zilch.)   

Thank you, Laura, for reading this overly long post.  Enjoy your evening and please take good care.

Grant                                                  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It's now been 72 hours since I was told that the issue would be looked at in 24-48 hours.  🙁  I still cannot send from Outlook, so I've been forced to use Webmail for the past week.

My wife and I have 5 e-mail accounts and I have short test messages sitting in the Outlook Outbox for each of our 5 e-mail addresses.  Today, one of those e-mails was sent and I was ready to celebrate. However, it must have been a fluke.  I tried another test using the same e-mail and it didn't work and none of the other e-mails were sent...  

We continue to wait for a resolution as this seems to be affecting a number of people.  I'm not holding my breath though since we're now into the Easter Long Weekend and I'm not sure anything will happen before Tuesday..

japples
I plan to stick around

Thanks for chiming into this thread. The more people that report this, the more of a chance (hopefully) that senior techs will see this.

gc8086
I plan to stick around

I suspect that your issue, and mine, reside with Yahoo, rather than Rogers. Hopefully, enough noise here will cause Rogers techs to contact Yahoo techs and get them to look at it.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I'm happy to report that all 5 of my e-mail addresses just started sending again.  Let's hope the same happy news awaits others who had a problem sending. Let's also hope the problem doesn't resurface.

I tested all the e-mails twice. They were tested once because there were (unsent) e-mails from days ago in the Outlook Outbox.  I then tested each e-mail address individually just now.

gc8086
I plan to stick around

I'm happy that your issue appears to be resolved. Unfortunately, mine has not.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@gc8086 wrote:

I'm happy that your issue appears to be resolved. Unfortunately, mine has not.

Have you PM'd @CommunityHelps your e-mail address(es) and obtained a ticket?  It's possible they may still be working on the issue.

brynaugust
I've been here awhile
Please don't give up. Like "57," I'm also happy to report that, as of this morning, all 4 of my e-mail addresses are able to send messages again.

gc8086
I plan to stick around

I'm not a regular visitor to these forums; I don't know how to PM @CommunityHelps.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@gc8086 wrote:

I'm not a regular visitor to these forums; I don't know how to PM @CommunityHelps.

While logged in, click on the @CommunityHelps link and then click "Send this user a Private Message" on the right side of the page that comes up.

If any of the mods know, or can find out, what the problem was, that would be appreciated in case it happens again.

japples
I plan to stick around

Mine is not working either.

I sent a PM like "57" recommended and hope that my issue will resolve soon too.

Topic Stats
  • 64 replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 11 in conversation