cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speedtest Issues

os3rules
I plan to stick around

Is something going on with speed tests?  I have been running speed tests from speedtest.net for a long time but recently they have stopped working for Rogers servers only. 

I can run the speed test on every server on the list, but when I try to run for a Rogers server I get a socket error.  This happens on Firefox, Chrome, and Explorer.  The same thing happens when I try to use Rogers' own speed test.

The error says that, "A socket error occurred during the download test.  A firewall could be blocking the connection of the server might be having some issues.  Please try again later."

As I said, I have performed hundreds of speed tests in the past and now this is happening - but ONLY for Rogers servers.

*Added Labels*

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Speedtest Issues

os3rules
I plan to stick around

I just retested using Chrome and you are correct - it does work.

Checked Firefox (my primary browser) and found the the "Privacy Badger" add-on was causing the problem.  When I disable it Speedtest works. Weird.....

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@os3rules I just checked the Rogers speedtest site and the speedtest.net Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal Rogers servers and the speedtests ran as expected.  Didn't see any hint of a problem for all speedtest servers.  I ran the tests on Chrome. 

os3rules
I plan to stick around

I just retested using Chrome and you are correct - it does work.

Checked Firefox (my primary browser) and found the the "Privacy Badger" add-on was causing the problem.  When I disable it Speedtest works. Weird.....

Add blockers, and even specialty firewalls can effect something like the speedtest, or even some other sites from even allowing you to login all together.

Some of them will be 'blocking' when they try to access things outside of that page.
They assume that if its not loading assets from its own page, that it is likely pulling an add or something from elsewhere.
I have seen them effect logins for some pages, where they use a separate login service which re-directs back that you authenticated.. that it blocks that other site from you logging in as its not the same as the one your on.

os3rules
I plan to stick around

It just makes you wonder what kind of information Rogers is gathering in the background.  All (ALL!) of the other sites work with Privacy Badger enabled.

Its not necessarily a gathering thing.

Moreso, as I mentioned, an outgoing request.
That the speed test is making a request outbound to somewhere else.

os3rules
I plan to stick around

Privacy Badger blocks trackers, not ads.  Is that what Rogers is doing (that the others are not)?

Looking a little further..
"Privacy Badger was born out of our desire to be able to recommend a single extension that would automatically analyze and block any tracker or ad that violated the principle of user consent; which could function well without any settings, knowledge, or configuration by the user; which is produced by an organization that is unambiguously working for its users rather than for advertisers; and which uses algorithmic methods to decide what is and isn't tracking."

So not blocking based on connection.

BUT from that description, its based on anything which 'tracks' any information.
Yes, this is used primarily by Ads, where the specific add company when you go to say walmarts site, it writes to a cookie on your machine (or collects to their side) that you visited there, and then when you go somewhere else, reads that you went there and shows you walmarts on that site as well, etc.

Its quite possible, for recording and/or keeping past speed test results, location, etc, that its just trying to write a cookie to the machine to store that information.   And the program might be blocking it.

I completely understand the need and how/why people due use the blockers.  They are a good thing.
But sometime its the SITE thats the problem, even if they are not trying to do something bad 😞
I have seen sites, which will only load like 3 lines of the site then thats it, because of the blockers.
The code is so bad, and because its not loading in the part, it doesnt load the rest 😞

os3rules
I plan to stick around

Honestly, I don't mind that Privacy badger (and other add-ons) pop-up and kick me when I go to a site that is doing something that it isn't supposed to - that is the purpose of the add-on and why I am using it.   If anything, this just proves that the program is working as intended.

What worries me is why Rogers finds it necessary to track what I am doing at this level - even something so simple as a speed test - when nobody else is doing it.  Makes me suspicious..... 

os3rules
I plan to stick around

I have been using Ookla Speed test to measure my upload and download speeds for over a year now.  I have the 1Gig internet package but I have been unable to get more that 350M for a very long time.  I have had at lest 4 techs in to check the network and they have all has similar speeds when they do a speed test.

However, I have just tried running the speed test from command line (the CLI on the speedtest menu) as well as running the "Windows" version.  Both of these report that my download speed is well over 950 M.

How can this be?  The Rogers techs who were here reported that the local drop (2 houses away) is not capable of anything over 500 M and there is an open work order to repair it.

Can Ookla speed test be trusted? 

I know that when I run a speedtest my ethernet card shows similar activity to the speed reported by the test.

Perhaps those that have speed issues similar to mine could run the CLI version of the speedtest and confirm what I am seeing.

Hey @os3rules!

Seeing a much lower speed than anticipated can certainly come as a shock! I can confirm that Ookla speed test is accurate. I'll be happy to help identify why you're unable to see higher speeds. To begin, are you able to complete a speed test with two wired devices at the same time? Alternatively one wired device to the modem and one wireless (using 5G). Once done share the results with us and we can go from there.

@RogersAndy

@os3rules what modem do you have and what firmware is currently loaded?

os3rules
I plan to stick around

Hi Datalink and RogersAndy:

I have documented my speed problems at length here in September/October or 2019.  In summary I have seen speeds of about 300-350M for many months now (I have the 1G plan).  My average speed for January 2020 was 320.71M with over 150 speed tests).

I have had Rogers techs here 4 times and every one of them have had exactly the same speeds when they do their tests.  They have reset and swapped out the modem multiple times with no improvement.

They have tested the local drop with their equipment and told me that the problem lies there - it is incapable of over 500M and with a number of local users I'm lucky to get the speed I do get. 

My issue is actually with the speedtest itself.  I have been using the browser version for all of my testing but I have tried both the Windows (install) version and the stand-alone line (CLI) version.  While the browser version (no matter which browser I user) shows a speed of 300-350M, the CLI and the windows version show over 800M.  I can't understand how this is possible.

Also - regarding doing multiple tests concurrently - I have run as many a 4 tests at the same time with wildly different speeds that average well over 1G and has reached as much as 1.6G (!).

I am beginning to think that the speedtest is highly unreliable.

sylvain123
I've been here awhile
I had this same issue ie and chrome slow speedtest try firefox or fast.com and ull get full speed chrome is very slow and is a know issue that they are not egknowledging after the windows 1909 update!

Also install the speedtest app in Windows 10 it will go full speed!

os3rules
I plan to stick around

Hi sylvain123,

I have run Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Waterfox, etc. and I have run the Ookla Speed test, Fast.com, and about 20 other speed tests, all with the same result - about 300-350M speeds.

I have also run the widows 10 app version of Ookla Speedtest which will average 850-950M and the CLI version that averages about the same.

My question is why is the app or batch speed so much faster? 

And - how can it run that fast when the local breakout box has been tested (many times) and will only run 500M maximum?

os3rules
I plan to stick around

OK.

Now I'm not getting any upload speed for Rogers on speedtest.net.  What gives?

Every other server runs fine.  Downloads run fine.  Uploads run fine for everyone but Rogers Toronto (funny

'cuz Rogers Ottawa if OK).

Only happens of Firefox (ver: 74.0 x64).  Works OK with Opera, Waterfox Chrome Edit and just about

everything else.

AND - there are no "results" for my Toronto Rogers test either.

I have to assume that there is something between their server and Firefox in particular.

I took a screen shot of the results as proof that I was going to embed but it won't let me  ☹️

I have 1 gigabyte/30m Ignite internet service. Due to the Covid-19 spreading, I have to work from home these days.  

Speed testing using speedtest.net in the early morning, I got download speed between 200-300m. During the daytime working hours, the speed can reach 700-800m. The scenario has been like this since I started working from home  more than 10 days ago. I won't be notice this if work in-office.

I have CODA-4852 modem set as bridge mode.  I have Asus RT-AC3100 as the main router with the latest Merlin firmware installed.

os3rules
I plan to stick around

Hi,

I think I have asked this before but - here goes.  What happened to all the Rogers servers on the Speedtest.net site?  They have been gone for a while now.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@os3rules wrote:

Hi,

I think I have asked this before but - here goes.  What happened to all the Rogers servers on the Speedtest.net site?  They have been gone for a while now.

I'm not sure why your post got moved to this thread.

Rogers has SEVERAL speedtest.net servers set up.  I can query the list of servers in Canada and a list of servers containing "rogers" in the server record using the following commands:

curl 'https://www.speedtest.net/api/js/servers?search=canada' | json_pp

curl 'https://www.speedtest.net/api/js/servers?search=rogers' | json_pp

However, I don't know why the Rogers servers are not being used by the https://www.speedtest.net web site.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

However, I don't know why the Rogers servers are not being used by the https://www.speedtest.net web site.

Maybe this could be the problem.  Looking at the list of servers in Canada, they all have a "https_functional" attribute in their server record EXCEPT for the Rogers servers.  Perhaps the Rogers servers are misconfigured and/or unusable for some reason?

os3rules
I plan to stick around

And maybe Rogers will fix this??  Just asking....

Topic Stats
  • 23 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 8 in conversation