cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Thermostat on Rogers WiFi

JStevenson
I've been around

Honeywell Lyric T5 Connection to Rogers WiFi

I'm wondering if anyone else has experience trying to do what I'm attempting (i.e. installing a Honeywell Lyric thermostat on a Rogers WiFi WAN)?  I figured I must not be the ONLY one (or first one) to try to do this - and figured I'd ask here first before going crazy trying to trouble-shoot router/WiFi connectivity issues (which is problemmatic in the best of times!)

I have Rogers Internet, with WiFi provided by a Hitron CGN2-ROG Router.  

Last night I tried to finish the installation of a Honeywell Lyric T5 Thermostat, which is supposed to be able to be "binded" to my Smartphone (which has the Lyric App installed), via the local WiFI network.   I followed the instructions to the letter, using the Lyric application installed on my Smartphone (Samsung Galaxy A8).   The thermostat seemed to very quickly be able to find and connect to my WiFi network SSID, generated a PIN which I then had to enter on my Smartphone, and all seemed OK, until the dreaded NEXT which seemed to then trigger some detailed Connection-checking procedure.  Up to this point the thermostat was displaying CONNECTED, but the Lyric App on the smart phone just showed a blank screen with a wait signal (similar to the circling icon in windows) and a warning "this could take several minutes" so I waited..and waited...and eventually there was a timeout and a connection failure (~10min later). 

So - has anyone else tried this, and if so, were you successful?  Was there a trick to this (such as an adjustment to the router WiFi settings) needed?

*Edited Labels*

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Smart Thermostat on Rogers WiFi

RogersMoin

Hello, @JStevenson

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! 🙂

Thank you for posting your query in the Community. Congratulations on your T5 Smart Thermostat! Have you tried the setup again? Sometimes you may need a second try. 

You can also try doing the Manual Setup and connect your phone later per the T5 quick install guide. Keep us posted.

@Community - please chime in if you have a smart thermostat setup experience. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

I am also trying to install the same thermostat and running into the same trouble. Just wondering if anyone has had success with their installation.

Hey @BMTINYON

Welcome to the community!

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with connecting your new thermostat as well! I was able to locate the following video from Honeywell that may assist in troubleshooting this particular issue. T5/T6 WiFi Reset – How to reset the wifi connection on your T5/T6 thermostat

Also the following Honeywell FAQ may provide some insight: https://www.honeywellhome.com/en/questions/why-is-my-lyric-t5-wi-fi-thermostat-not-finding-the-in-ho...

In addition to these, it's also possible that there may be a setting within your modem that's not compatible with this particular device. I would recommend logging into the modem's GUI and ensuring the following settings are set for your WiFi:

These Settings will ensure you have the most optimal security settings for device connectivity.

•  WPA/WPA2
  •  AES
  •  WPS:Enabled if required, disabled if not.

These settings may assist with overall connectivity dependent on your location.

•  20hz Channel enabled if you have many visible neighboring WiFi networks
  •  20/40hz Channel enabled if you have very few (less than 10) wireless networks visible.

Given that the thermostat only operates on the 2.4Ghz wireless frequency, it's also important to check if Band Steering is enabled within your modem's settings (Not Compatible with CGN2-ROG, only newer modems). If so, then you may need to disable it temporarily for the initial connection if the thermostat is unable to navigate to the appropriate network. Once connected, enabling Band Steering again shouldn't be a concern. 

I hope this information helps. Keep us posted!

@RogersAndy

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 in conversation