cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers wireless internet

DavidHeilig
I plan to stick around

Hi everyone, just wanted to say I got the Rogers wireless home internet installed, it replaced my 25 year old bell DSL. I’m getting 27ish down and 5 up. It’s fast and only about 20-40ms of lag on Speedtest. Pretty darn good.

17 REPLIES 17

Re: Rogers wireless internet

NathanielLentz
I've been here awhile

Good stuff and congrats. They’ll soon start offering 50Mbps down as they continue to rollout 5G and increase capacity.

NancyFannin
I plan to stick around

May be worth trying with a different router. Works well with my Dream Machine Pro router, I bypassed rogers router altogether.

mx126
I'm here a lot

Can I ask what speed is like at prime time evening / weekend ?    I have xplornet and actually very fast off peak.   Def scaled back meaningfully from 6-10pm ish.    Rogers tell me theirs is more consistent.   Any insight there ?  

Hello, @mx126.

Thank you for posting your query, and welcome to our Community!

I appreciate your interest in Wireless Home Internet and want to know the speed during the evening peak hours. Have you checked the availability? The service will only be installed if your area is serviceable. The tech will assess your home and property to confirm a strong signal to your local tower during the outdoor antenna installation.

Let me tag the participants of this thread - @DavidHeilig, @NathanielLentz, and @NancyFannin to see if they can share their service experiences during the evenings.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Thank you.   Yes it is avail and I have an appt scheduled.  It is very high and has strong connection to two towers.  Both owned by rogers.    Both were (one is now) via explornet.    The first was “oversold” and very congested.   Repointed to other and was much better.   However, summer volume is impacting me as noted.      I understand this service is different than LOS fixed wireless.    Maybe i’m wrong?..    My cell phones get very very fast service … multiples faster than xplornet at all times.  So hoping there is some ease with which I can gty 25/5.    Also hope/assume xplornet has leased only a small part of rogers bandwidth.  

Hello, @mx126.

Congratulations! I'm thrilled that you have the installation appointment scheduled. I'm optimistic the service will live up to your expectations and beyond!

Keep our Community apprised of your service experience.

Cheers,
RogersMoin

fbird
I've been here awhile

mx126, The service has been oversold, on long weekends (seasonal area) it becomes almost unusable at times and very inconsistant, average around 5mb upload and then less than 1mb upload sometimes, like it is today Friday at start of Labour Day weekend.

Spoke with a tech who confirmed this and stated Roges is aware of the provisioning issue and are planning upgrades. (where have we heard that before lol) 

Cell phones get network priority (which they should) so when there are more of them in the area there is less bandwidth for this new fixed wireless service.

I switched from Rogers Rocket Hub (more expensive but more reliable, basically a cell phone)

Cell phones get network priority so when there are more of them in the area there is less bandwidth for this new fixed wireless service.

mx126
I'm here a lot

Yes.   Thanks. Unfot agree.   The day of install..good in AM.  by afternoon unusable.  Sent a truck next day as signal not great.  Same.  Repoint...fine.   By afternoon, useless.  Evening was often sub 1M.   That was a Tues and Wed.    Can't imagine tonight !!   Good thing I kept Xplornet.   Getting 35M daytime and drops to 10-15 evening.      I will def be cxling.       Waste of time for me and waste of money for Rogers.   Wonder why they bother.   

fbird
I've been here awhile

I had xplornet years ago, and was not happy with their service, I know it has improved but latency is usually an issue with satellite.

I am a retired Computer Systems Engineer so I get frustrated when I dont have good internet lol.

Been bad service in our area for decades.

This fixed wireless that Rogers has is so far the best, I would not cancel but be patient as they may (lol) improve it or they will lose business and they know that. Nothing beats wired or fiber but thats not coming to rural low density areas in Ont.

mx126
I'm here a lot

I don’t have satellite.  I have xplornet LTE.  I have 3 towers in view.  The easiest became congested after a few months and I was VERY frustrated with xplornet.  Filed complaint with 3rd party..    Xplornet repointed me to a newer tower with ( so far after 18M ) little congestion.    Rogers insisted to point opposite way.   Technically closer but in the heart of town on the lake.   Obviously very congested.      I can’t function for even one day at at 1M download.   So no capacity to wait for rogers to upgrade.   That was old school xplornet.     And I am not going to pay for two services.   Right now I have 18M down on xplornet.  35M mid day.   Ping 24ms always.     Rogers crawling.   Ping from 54 to 150.    Xplornet does have times it gets slower 5-10M primetime on summer break.  

I’m sure there re many very annoyed explornet customers on congested towers.    And many happy Rogers customers.   But rogers should have known this.  My request was very clear.   If you have evening congestion in my area don’t bother installing.   I am looking for consistent 25m service and won’t switch otherwise.   Just a waste of time on both sides that could be avoided.   

fbird
I've been here awhile

yes your LTE from xplornet will be better than Rogers wireless, you have decent ping times and speed.

We have no choice, tried xplornet LTE a couple of months ago and nothing for signal other than I am out the charge for the site visit.

mx126
I'm here a lot
Yes unfort so tower dependant. I would have hoped we evolve to using the cellular band. I get over 100-200m dl on cellular. I know it is different but if we could get to a point where data usage hurdle is no longer a barrier (old “mobile internet” we’d have great rural internet and no need for outdoor antennae.
Shocking in 2022 we are still dark ages outside of fibre reach. I know it’s another topic but very mixed reviews from others in area on Starlink. Rave reviews …and other mixed with huge volatility and zoom freeze. And always expensive.

John8888
I've been here awhile

In my opinion there “ignite” for remote use is a total scam, sometimes fast on the weekends. I’ve had a rocket hub internet at our cottage for 12 years.. service was okay at best, but limited options. This spring I received the Rogers sale pitch for remote ignite internet.. I have dozens of screen shots of speed tests, at 1  - 2 MBss D and less than 1 upload.  And yes I have completed the tech talks and reboots..

looks like starlink is the only solution 

Sorry Moin, you are not correct
I have 25Mbs for about 45 days
On some maps my house is listed on 5G and 3 houses away from 5G plus
I am 1400m distance to 2 Towers at Mavis # 401 and Erin Mills # 401
Speed is good in morning and evening and goes down less than 10 with slope speed up to 1-2 Mbps. I know is the highway and crazy traffic. Map cannot give you the actual speed.
Anyway it works and I would be happy if I can upgrade to 50

Good morning @cata2ca!

Is there a specific reason why you chose the 5G Home Internet? If you're in the Mavis/Erin Mills area, you should be able to get a home Internet connection on our broadband network and much faster speeds as a result. The 5G Home Internet service is intended for customers outside of our broadband network.

If you'd like to explore this possibility with us, feel free to send us a PM. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, you can find out more here.  

Regards,

RogersCorey

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah, is there a reason you are on the 5G internet when you should have a faster broadband internet using the cable wires in your neighbourhood?  the 5G is for people who live in rural communities its not meant to replace the broadband internet.

cata2ca
I'm here a lot

I have 1.5 Gb Ignite main line. This was supposed to be backup line when I was with V-Media and internet was craping out in the middle of a Teams call.

I am so happy since I switched to Rogers. Now I have no use of it but is nice for playing :).

Probably I will give the modem to my daughter when she goes to university next year. Now I use less that 5Gb from the 500 allocated because is slow and even in Load Balance my Asus will not draw any data from it due to speed.

Anyway, I would like to upgrade if it is easy task otherwise, I already have 315Gb data from my phones i can share with Nokia FastMile, I believe that 550Mbs speed I saw it today is great, I could post some stuff and screenshots is that accepted by the big boss :). Let me know.

Topic Stats
  • 17 replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 10 in conversation